Author Topic: Cross Training: Rowing  (Read 229333 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: Cross Training: Rowing
« Reply #750 on: 06 January, 2014, 11:21:45 am »
I'm definitely too fat, but I usually have access to a gym with a rower, so I'm in.

« Reply #751 on: 06 January, 2014, 11:24:08 am »
I'm not sure if I'm too fat to row ATM  ;D

Amazingly enough I manage despite the lard.

How much weight have you put on over Christmas?
 :o

« Reply #752 on: 06 January, 2014, 05:19:41 pm »
I'm not sure if I'm too fat to row ATM  ;D

Amazingly enough I manage despite the lard.

How much weight have you put on over Christmas?
 :o

I'm currently running 8kg heavier than I was in July  :-X

« Reply #753 on: 06 January, 2014, 09:59:48 pm »
i'm in - am almost exactly the same amount heavier as you are, Feline!

I promise to actually do some rowing this year...

« Reply #754 on: 07 January, 2014, 08:30:01 am »
No rowing (and no gym) since 13th December, apparently, so I'm fairly happy with my 21:54 5k this morning. (5 sec over my PB)

Less happy with the inevitable blisters. O well.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #755 on: 07 January, 2014, 07:00:44 pm »
I'll try  again, I just hope to make it to the gym this time  ::-)

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #756 on: 09 January, 2014, 11:20:41 am »
first 2k in more than a year 8,19   :) not good but I'n rowing again

« Reply #757 on: 13 January, 2014, 11:42:17 am »
Another 5k, more blisters.

My girly hands have softened right up over Christmas. Today I have the delight of a broken blister under a callous oozing slightly every time I move the middle finger of my left hand.

« Reply #758 on: 13 January, 2014, 11:48:46 am »
ouch!  MrsMike was delighted when I stopped rowing, my hands were permanently in a complete mess...

shouldn't happen so much on the ergo though - how tight are you gripping the handle?  Some people erg with their whole hand (incl. the thumb) on top of the handle, to stop you squeezing it too tight, although I was never comfortable like that..  worth a go?

Chris S

« Reply #759 on: 13 January, 2014, 01:05:56 pm »
That's what I do - row with my fingers rather than my whole hand.

« Reply #760 on: 13 January, 2014, 02:28:57 pm »
Some people erg with their whole hand (incl. the thumb) on top of the handle, to stop you squeezing it too tight, although I was never comfortable like that..  worth a go?
I tried that today, as my hands were already a bit tender.

:-\

I reckon it's the 5ks. Because I am a delicate Lay-dee, my soft delicate gentle hands can only cope with a km or two.

Or they'll harden up in time.

« Reply #761 on: 15 January, 2014, 07:08:30 pm »
40 minutes tonight, 2 x 20 minute with a brief pause when I had an existential crisis mid-way through the 2nd 20.

Still slow as hell but please dont tell anyone; i actually quite enjoyed it...

Chris S

« Reply #762 on: 16 January, 2014, 09:11:49 am »
Regarding blisters - and this is going to be a bit ming, so brace yourselves.

I've noticed my hands do get sore when using a rower that doesn't have a scrupulously clean handle. When you get a build-up of sweat residue (see - I did warn you) the handle becomes really quite sticky, especially when the sweat off your own hands makes it damp and redissolves all that goo. This stickiness then seems to exaggerate the effect that leads to blisters.

I've taken to applying my OCD levels of cleaning to the handle on my C2, and now the handle seems freer to move around in my hand as I'm rowing, rather than drag and stick to my skin.

simonp

« Reply #763 on: 21 January, 2014, 10:51:10 pm »
Finally managed to get to the gym and do a 5K today.

Not my slowest of the season so that’s acceptable. I might get a few more in before the end of the month.

simonp

« Reply #764 on: 26 January, 2014, 07:43:28 pm »
Still a heavyweight which isn’t so good for my ranking. My 10,000m was hard work today but still outside the top half for heavyweight 40-49 year old males.

simonp

« Reply #765 on: 27 January, 2014, 01:08:28 pm »
A couple of 5Ks didn’t give me any blisters but my middle fingers are slightly blistered on both hands after a 10K.

« Reply #766 on: 27 January, 2014, 02:14:09 pm »
No blisters for my 5k this morning either  :thumbsup:

My hands feel like they'd be great for a child with eczema1.

1: My smalls always preferred the manual working parent to do the cream application because his hard macho hands were rough and gave itch relief.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #767 on: 29 January, 2014, 08:14:32 pm »
Still a heavyweight which isn’t so good for my ranking. My 10,000m was hard work today but still outside the top half for heavyweight 40-49 year old males.

Where do you find this benchmark data?   I'd be keen to benchmark myself (although my benchmark is about to get easier as I will move from the 40 - 49 to the 50 - 59 category this year). 

Did set my PB for 1 hour (which was expected as I'd only rowed for an hour once before) tonight, but still 189m short of the winter target.  That's only 1.2 seconds per 500m split I keep telling myself.

Regards

Colin
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #768 on: 29 January, 2014, 08:59:56 pm »
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #769 on: 29 January, 2014, 10:33:46 pm »
Don't get problems with blisters on my hands, but do get problems with my right heel rubbing when rowing.  Because I've been progressively working up the distance, have managed to grow a callous rather than get a blister.

simonp

« Reply #770 on: 02 February, 2014, 05:13:04 pm »
I was doing ok until I did 3x10,000m last week and managed to blister first my middle fingers then after taping those up both palms.

Won’t be rowing for a few days until they heal a bit. The Valentines challenge doesn’t start ’til the 9th so that’s fine.

Meanwhile, I did some cycling today.

« Reply #771 on: 03 February, 2014, 11:12:45 am »
Maybe I should register for the valentines challenge. I forgot to do it by the cut off date for the last one so all 2500m that I actually rowed in a month didn't count  :-[

Rowing seems to push my CV reserves much further than other types of exercise do so my currently dire asthma leaves me trying to die after only 500m or so. I keep setting the machine for 2000m and having to bail before I make it to the end because I can't breathe  >:(

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #772 on: 04 February, 2014, 08:21:46 pm »
Managed to fit in a Tabata session on the rowing machine tonight.  Its basically 10 minutes warm up followed by (in my case) 4 minutes which go:

20 seconds flat out (getting the 500m split into the 1:30s) 20 seconds recovery at normal long distance pace (under 2:00 split) repeat x 6.  Then collapse in a heap.

Seems simple.  Well the only simple bit is collapsing in a heap.  The hard bit is doing that after the 6th rep and not after the 4th.  it is supposed to be the best way to improve aerobic fitness and therefore my ability to climb the Alps at the end of June.  We'll see.  If I master 6 reps then it just gets extend to 8 reps which lasts the giddy amount of 5 minutes and 20 seconds.  La la la  :sick:

simonp

« Reply #773 on: 04 February, 2014, 08:24:43 pm »
I did Tabata intervals in a martial arts class. Injured both shoulders and I was riding the Elenith a few days later.

:facepalm:

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #774 on: 05 February, 2014, 07:40:02 pm »
Set out to do a PB for half hour today.  Was stressed because of cramped train journey home so set off too fast.  Bad news was I was going to burn out before half hour   :(    Good news, hung on for a new PB by 6.5 seconds for the 5000m  :thumbsup: