Author Topic: Cross Training: Rowing  (Read 229029 times)

simonp

Re: Cross Training: Rowing
« Reply #200 on: 07 March, 2010, 03:56:28 pm »
Now I only have 24 more to do.
How is it going B?

No chance. I did another 10K on Wednesday. Swimming club thursday, rest day Friday, 200k yesterday, lazy day today. I can't get more than about two 10K rows in a week with everything else.

« Reply #201 on: 07 March, 2010, 03:59:59 pm »
<Woohoo!>
I put my boat on the water for the first time this year.  I did 6 miles, mostly very slowly.  But I was still faster than the Men's Novice 8.

[Litany of excuses follows]
Bad weather (snow, ice), river too high/too fast, insufficient supplies of get-up-and-row, new rules forbidding single-sculling at night.  (I'm still very cross about the last of these - I go out cycling instead, and which activity has a larger risk of serious injury?)

very envious!  I sold mine about 4 years ago and still regret it.  I never went out in the dark though :)

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #202 on: 07 March, 2010, 04:04:57 pm »
...new rules forbidding single-sculling at night.  (I'm still very cross about the last of these - I go out cycling instead, and which activity has a larger risk of serious injury?)

Not many people get drownded whilst cycling (apart from Nutty!).   ;D
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

simonp

« Reply #203 on: 07 March, 2010, 08:28:58 pm »
Now I only have 24 more to do.
How is it going B?

No chance. I did another 10K on Wednesday. Swimming club thursday, rest day Friday, 200k yesterday, lazy day today. I can't get more than about two 10K rows in a week with everything else.

It might be a bit easier if the gym was a bit closer to home and didn't close at 2pm at the weekend.  David Lloyd is only about 1 1/4 miles from home, but is about 3x the price of the gym on the science park.  But with the hours I keep (working on the late side of our flexible hours) and I leave work at 7pm, a gym that closes at 9pm is very annoying also.  I finished Wednesday's rowing at 8.53pm, no time for a shower, so cycled all sweaty to meet up with colleagues at the pub.  ::-)  A colleague has just joined the David Lloyd one and reports it closes at 11.30pm.

simonp

« Reply #204 on: 09 March, 2010, 10:21:14 pm »
10,000m today.  Took it nice and slow - 43:41.0 in the end.

« Reply #205 on: 10 March, 2010, 01:03:50 pm »

I did 43:45.8 on Saturday, and I thought that was quite quick! Not quite a PB, but not all that far off it. :(

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #206 on: 10 March, 2010, 04:15:54 pm »
RB's David Lloyd is everso plush.  Real "health club" stuff.  Spendy but probably worth it - there were no nasty floaters in the pool, even!

Now, how well does C2 rowing translate into kayak..?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Chris S

« Reply #207 on: 10 March, 2010, 04:29:09 pm »
Mr YACF Team Cap'n Sir?

World Rowing Challenge - 15 March to 15 April.

Are we?

simonp

« Reply #208 on: 11 March, 2010, 12:41:22 am »

I did 43:45.8 on Saturday, and I thought that was quite quick! Not quite a PB, but not all that far off it. :(

Ah right sorry about that. Average power of 155W. Which is right at the bottom end of the aerobic endurance training zone for me.

I used to find not much faster really challenging. I'm really noticing the difference from the amount of cycling I'm doing now.

simonp

« Reply #209 on: 11 March, 2010, 12:58:16 am »
Mr YACF Team Cap'n Sir?

Are we?

We are now. Thanks for the pointer. Everyone who wants to take part will need to sign up for the challenge as well.

« Reply #210 on: 11 March, 2010, 09:11:25 am »
Mr YACF Team Cap'n Sir?

Are we?

We are now. Thanks for the pointer. Everyone who wants to take part will need to sign up for the challenge as well.

I've just signed up for this.  It will give me an incentive to keep on rowing as the evenings get lighter.  I probably won't do as much as I did in the last challenge, but I might manage 10,000 metres 3 times a week.

Quote from: Bridget
Ah right sorry about that. Average power of 155W. Which is right at the bottom end of the aerobic endurance training zone for me.

I used to find not much faster really challenging. I'm really noticing the difference from the amount of cycling I'm doing now.

That's OK, I was only jesting.  I think it's an age thing, partly - VO2 max gradually declines with age, and I'm 59 now.  Maybe I could have have gone quicker 20 years ago, although I didn't actually do any rowing then. :)

« Reply #211 on: 11 March, 2010, 01:47:53 pm »
I'm in.  My target is 100K, made up from interval sessions.

Chris S

« Reply #212 on: 11 March, 2010, 02:33:48 pm »
Right, I'm in too. I've not been rowing much in the last couple of weeks - concentrating on cycling instead; the cross-training will do me good.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #213 on: 12 March, 2010, 12:28:36 pm »
Mr YACF Team Cap'n Sir?

Are we?

Is this a Concept 2 thing? Can't find any reference to it - can someone point me in the right direction, please? Ta.

Blisters, Bridget - get wrists set so that line down forearm and hand is straight at the catch, & keep handle in light grip with fingers & thumb so that the palm does not really contact the grip. Hey presto, no blisters.

« Reply #214 on: 12 March, 2010, 12:36:08 pm »

simonp

« Reply #215 on: 12 March, 2010, 02:50:25 pm »
Mr YACF Team Cap'n Sir?

Are we?

Is this a Concept 2 thing? Can't find any reference to it - can someone point me in the right direction, please? Ta.

Blisters, Bridget - get wrists set so that line down forearm and hand is straight at the catch, & keep handle in light grip with fingers & thumb so that the palm does not really contact the grip. Hey presto, no blisters.

I started doing that. It's stopped the palm blisters but when I'm not used to rowing I get blisters on the middle and 4th fingers, but not as bad.

« Reply #216 on: 12 March, 2010, 02:53:46 pm »
The work gym refurbishment should have been done (Wed/Thu this week) so I may go down and see what it's like.

Hopefully the new Concept II model D will have a PM3 or PM4 instead of the old one with a PM2.

I could do with doing 2000m to sweat out the remains of my hangover.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #217 on: 15 March, 2010, 09:29:56 am »
The work gym refurbishment should have been done (Wed/Thu this week) so I may go down and see what it's like.

Hopefully the new Concept II model D will have a PM3 or PM4 instead of the old one with a PM2.

Hurrah! It's a PM3! Think I may go for 5000m today if I can find the time...

(And the two treadmills were broken but at least it's now maintained equipment so we can get them fixed quickly.)

« Reply #218 on: 15 March, 2010, 03:52:55 pm »
Only time for 10 mins (actually, had selected the 5000m program but bailed at 10min due to just not being in the zone). Paltry 2183m but chugging along at only ~170bpm.

The plan on doing 100,000m a month seems rather daunting, but the plan (again) is to see if I can get 'properly fit' this year. :-/

simonp

« Reply #219 on: 16 March, 2010, 09:31:40 pm »
10,000m, 43:05.7.  Low-mid 140bpm for most of it.  It felt stupidly easy to start with, so I upped the pace a bit from last week.  Training effect from 200km & 300km weekends back to back, I think.

simonp

« Reply #220 on: 16 March, 2010, 09:33:16 pm »
I see swarm_catcher has been busy. We're 85th at the moment.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #221 on: 16 March, 2010, 09:51:56 pm »
We're 71st as of now.  I've just added my 30 minutes worth (6724m).

simonp

« Reply #222 on: 19 March, 2010, 10:12:01 pm »
Doing well chaps.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #223 on: 25 March, 2010, 10:05:28 pm »
Just added another 10,000m, not that it seems to be having much effect on our drift down the rankings (154th as of now).  Not that I'm bothered about the rankings, I just row to keep up my aerobic fitness during the week, as I don't cycle much except at weekends.

I passed a small personal milestone on the rower just now, as tonight's row took me past 500,000m since I took up rowing again last November.  So that's at least 100k a month for the past 5 months.  I'm quite pleased with that, though I really don't know how much good it's done me.

Chris S

« Reply #224 on: 25 March, 2010, 10:20:00 pm »
I'm finding it tough to get enough time. More cycling, less gym/rowing time.