Author Topic: Cross Training: Rowing  (Read 228459 times)

simonp

Re: Cross Training: Rowing
« Reply #225 on: 26 March, 2010, 12:31:01 am »
I'm finding it tough to get enough time. More cycling, less gym/rowing time.

+1

However, I think I will be having an easier week next week on the bike, and no swimming club for a while so will try to do more then.

« Reply #226 on: 26 March, 2010, 07:01:09 am »

+1

Same here, and I'm doing the rowing sessions for the sake of clocking meters, at the cost of resistance training and core work.  I'm going to put that right from today.  Mind you I'm doing the Dean tomorrow, so maybe a light swim would be good.  See you there B?

simonp

« Reply #227 on: 26 March, 2010, 01:19:51 pm »

+1

Same here, and I'm doing the rowing sessions for the sake of clocking meters, at the cost of resistance training and core work.  I'm going to put that right from today.  Mind you I'm doing the Dean tomorrow, so maybe a light swim would be good.  See you there B?

Yup, bright and early tomorrow morning.  Will be trying to get round a bit faster than in 2008.  ::-)

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #228 on: 26 March, 2010, 01:49:38 pm »
Still only doing 2000m 3 times a week as a warm-up to the gym work.
I must find my mp3 player though if I find myself doing more. 10 minutes is about long enough on it while only looking at a wall.

simonp

« Reply #229 on: 26 March, 2010, 01:55:27 pm »
The gym I use has the rowing machines facing the rear of the bank of treadmills.

However, even then I prefer to have some music on.  I don't tend to like the music in the gym, though I did discover "In for the Kill" there.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #230 on: 27 March, 2010, 02:27:10 pm »
Second Sculling Outing of the year.  Another 5 miles, bright sunshine but blustery wind.  River was a bit higher than normal, and quite swirly.  I'd been coxing a Veteran Novice Crew in a four, and needed some outlet for the adrenaline that had built up.  My single was uber-stable compared to the four.  (Bless 'em, they haven't yet learnt how to balance a boat!)

I've told them we're meeting at 9am tomorrow, not 8am.  Because 8am will feel like 7am!
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #231 on: 02 April, 2010, 12:05:16 am »
I normally do 2000m as a gym warmup, but tonight went 30 minutes for 6666m which isn't terribly great but is in fact the longest/furthest I've ever gone. I generally find rowing quite 'hard work' as on the one hand its incredibly boring and on the other I have to concentrate on technique,  but I'm starting to get to the point where I can 'zone out' and think about other things whilst keeping the effort/stroke rate up. Beach Boys 'Sounds of Summer' helps. Its a slippery slope...

simonp

« Reply #232 on: 05 April, 2010, 02:16:43 pm »
I got a letter saying that the gym will be under new management from 1st April.  So since my DD has been cancelled, presumably I need to rejoin.

In which case, it might be the impetus I need to go find out about expensiveGym since it's much more convenient for home.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #233 on: 05 April, 2010, 03:18:16 pm »
Another 5 miles, bright sunshine but blustery wind.  River was a bit higher than normal, and quite swirly.

Your rowing machine is outdoors?!? Still, sounds like you have a nice view ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #234 on: 06 April, 2010, 10:54:48 pm »
Another 5 miles, bright sunshine but blustery wind.  River was a bit higher than normal, and quite swirly.

It's one of these.  Yes, it does look nice.  Pity about the sack of s**t that pretends to be the engine.  I only did 4 miles today, in quite a strong wind against the stream (causing waves).
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #235 on: 07 April, 2010, 10:37:07 am »

It's one of these.  Yes, it does look nice.  Pity about the sack of s**t that pretends to be the engine.  I only did 4 miles today, in quite a strong wind against the stream (causing waves).

wind from the north at Ely?  Always a joy, I've been swamped a couple of times up there..

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #236 on: 07 April, 2010, 07:08:12 pm »
No, that's me in Ely, not rower40. But you're right, been caught out sculling to Littleport into a breeze which gets worse; turning round is horrible, then it's like surfing all the way back. Sadly only in a Swift, not a CD.

Still, we should be short of Cambridge launches for a while, so there's another few wave machines gone...  :thumbsup:

simonp

« Reply #237 on: 26 April, 2010, 05:05:08 pm »
I just had a look at the WRC results - swarm_catcher wins the prize for the most yacf team metres.  174th which ain't bad.

My contribution was not so good. :(

Did a 10,000 last week but not getting much time to row at the moment.

Manotea

« Reply #238 on: 04 June, 2010, 01:09:14 pm »
I did a 7:55 2k on the C2 last night. My first sub 8min effort for.... a very long time.

Made a tadge harder as it followed a 50km outing on the bike in the morning. I can sure feel it in my quads/hams when I row after cycling.

simonp

« Reply #239 on: 09 June, 2010, 10:35:54 pm »
Did 10,000m tonight - first effort for ages.  It felt surprisingly easy at an average of 2:07.4, and my HR for the most part was mid 140s.

simonp

« Reply #240 on: 25 June, 2010, 09:45:31 pm »
39:52.6  :o

simonp

« Reply #241 on: 30 June, 2010, 08:33:28 pm »
39:52.6  :o

Obviously, that was too slow, so I went for it tonight from the start, and did 39:29.3.   :-[  :-[  :-X  :-X  :-X  :sick:  ;D

« Reply #242 on: 07 July, 2010, 04:13:43 pm »
Anyone doing Dog Day of Summer in August? 

Clicky

simonp

« Reply #243 on: 07 July, 2010, 04:15:06 pm »

Clicky

I won't be - I'm riding the Mille Miglia Italia and that would be crazy to do around that.

« Reply #244 on: 07 July, 2010, 10:30:38 pm »

Clicky

I won't be - I'm riding the Mille Miglia Italia and that would be crazy to do around that.

Quite right Simon, good luck in Italy!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #245 on: 08 July, 2010, 09:50:13 am »
I might try for it outdoors inna kayak...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Manotea

« Reply #246 on: 28 July, 2010, 11:00:12 pm »
A 7:50 2km tonight, probably my best ever, Such As It Is.

How anybody does 10km on an erg, god only knows. All I can say is they must be made of sterner stuff then me to stay focused for that long.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #247 on: 28 July, 2010, 11:42:06 pm »
I was very disappointed to see Simon ignoring the rowing machine which was available at the sleep stop of the Mille Cymry  ;D
Chief cat entertainer.

simonp

« Reply #248 on: 28 July, 2010, 11:50:19 pm »
I was very disappointed to see Simon ignoring the rowing machine which was available at the sleep stop of the Mille Cymry  ;D

I have to admit to thinking about having a go, but reasoned my knees wouldn't thank me.

simonp

« Reply #249 on: 28 July, 2010, 11:52:33 pm »
A 7:50 2km tonight, probably my best ever Such As It Is.

How anybody does 10km on an erg, god only knows. All I can say is they must be made of sterner stuff then me to stay focused for that long.

iPod. Raconteurs albums. Receptionist from work with the big boobs not helpful. I changed gym.