Author Topic: Cross Training: Rowing  (Read 228671 times)

Re: Cross Training: Rowing
« Reply #350 on: 06 December, 2010, 08:59:58 pm »
Thanks for the video Chris S, that was much more useful than anything else I've seen on youtube. Having given blood a few days ago I thought I'd try to slow it down tonight and do my best to emulate you  :-* I had to whack the drag up though - there's simply not enough resistance to push against to get the stroke rate down otherwise. I didn't have time to find the true drag factor on the menu because the batteries are dead and the screen died if I stopped rowing for too long.

Anyway, I did the 2km in the same sort of time with much lower stroke rate, I think the little lean-back at the end of the stroke (which I wasn't doing before) helped, it felt a lot better too.

simonp

« Reply #351 on: 06 December, 2010, 11:12:33 pm »
I did 12,000m tonight. I increased the warm up to 2,000m. So I'm on 76,299m. I forgot my swimming trunks so no 1000m swim tonight. This will give me more energy tomorrow. :)

Swimming club AGM or more rowing this evening?

AGM.  Probably for the best.  ::-)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #352 on: 06 December, 2010, 11:54:43 pm »
The reason why I've been feeling wiped out lately has made itself apparent. 2nd day off with lurgy. I suspect I've been incubating it since (not) riding to York for the AGM.

« Reply #353 on: 07 December, 2010, 09:03:31 pm »
Another 10,000m tonight.  Have now done 37,000m, but I'll feel better when I get over the halfway mark.  Went out and bought a fan heater from Comet before tonight's session, which made things a bit more comfortable, as it would otherwise have been about -2 degrees in my garage.

simonp

« Reply #354 on: 08 December, 2010, 12:46:36 am »
Another 12,000m (2,000 + 10,000) to take me to 88,299.

Will not be rowing tomorrow - Wednesday is pub night (no booze for me).  I might not row on Thursday either as that's swimming club and I might go this week as my shoulder has improved lots.

« Reply #355 on: 09 December, 2010, 11:07:17 am »
Thanks for the video Chris S, that was much more useful than anything else I've seen on youtube. Having given blood a few days ago I thought I'd try to slow it down tonight and do my best to emulate you  :-* I had to whack the drag up though - there's simply not enough resistance to push against to get the stroke rate down otherwise. I didn't have time to find the true drag factor on the menu because the batteries are dead and the screen died if I stopped rowing for too long.

Anyway, I did the 2km in the same sort of time with much lower stroke rate, I think the little lean-back at the end of the stroke (which I wasn't doing before) helped, it felt a lot better too.

You shouldn't need to put the drag factor up to get more resistance.  The harder you pull, the more resistance you will get.  Rather than going for a 2k time, do some steady state work concentrating on technique at 20 strokes per minutes.  Take a look at how many metres you are making per stroke.  I generally do 12-13 metres per stroke when I limit the rating to 20 spm.  I'm 1.7 m tall, so somewhat challenged on the length of potential stroke.

« Reply #356 on: 09 December, 2010, 09:12:51 pm »
Another 10,000m tonight.  Sticking to the plan so far.  O:-)

simonp

« Reply #357 on: 09 December, 2010, 10:10:03 pm »

You shouldn't need to put the drag factor up to get more resistance.  The harder you pull, the more resistance you will get.  Rather than going for a 2k time, do some steady state work concentrating on technique at 20 strokes per minutes.  Take a look at how many metres you are making per stroke.  I generally do 12-13 metres per stroke when I limit the rating to 20 spm.  I'm 1.7 m tall, so somewhat challenged on the length of potential stroke.

Some guys next to me at the gym the other night were doing 18spm @ 1:48/500m, level 5.  I'm pretty sure there was plenty drag.  They didn't keep that up for 10,000m though.

On the challenge, I've been feeling crap and a bit busy, so I'm stuck on 88,299m.  I wanted to get down there tonight, I'm still at work.  Mañana .

simonp

« Reply #358 on: 10 December, 2010, 09:18:21 pm »
Too busy this week. But got to the gym tonight.

100,299m RAWWWR

I did the 10K in 39:56.1. 2nd or 3rd fastest time I've done.

I am this: drenched. And a bit shaky typing on the phone. Now for a swim.

« Reply #359 on: 11 December, 2010, 05:01:40 pm »
Just done 10,000m in 43:41.2, that's about 47 seconds faster than last weekend, so I'm quite pleased with that.  I'm now up to 57,000 with my challenge metres, so still on track to finish on about 23 December, rowing at the rate of 3 x 10,000 per week.

simonp

« Reply #360 on: 12 December, 2010, 01:29:10 am »
Good work. I am trying to decide if I'm up to trying for 200k now.

« Reply #361 on: 12 December, 2010, 01:50:38 am »
Or you could save that challenge for January?

simonp

« Reply #362 on: 12 December, 2010, 11:20:42 pm »
Or you could save that challenge for January?

112,299m. Guess I have to try.

Manotea

« Reply #363 on: 14 December, 2010, 10:50:56 pm »
The reason why I've been feeling wiped out lately has made itself apparent. 2nd day off with lurgy. I suspect I've been incubating it since (not) riding to York for the AGM.

First day doing anything at all since, gosh, the 4th. Took it easy with 2*5km@21:00.

simonp

« Reply #364 on: 15 December, 2010, 12:21:13 am »
Good work. You only have to do that 4-and-a-bit more times.

I have done 12k (2+10) the last 3 days. Then swimming, in one case up to 1500m. I'm getting quite tired.

Tonight's 41:15 was done at 21spm.  Had to focus.

« Reply #365 on: 16 December, 2010, 10:00:28 pm »
Now on 77,000m.  Still on target, in spite of the sub-zero temperature in my garage tonight.

Manotea

« Reply #366 on: 16 December, 2010, 10:54:07 pm »
Now on 77,000m.  Still on target, in spite of the sub-zero temperature in my garage tonight.

Snap. Nice and cosy in my local council gym. Car said -2 on the way home though. Been experimenting with lower stroke rates (5k@ ~23, warmdown 1km @~20. Perceived less effort but have to focus to keep up power).

« Reply #367 on: 16 December, 2010, 11:44:31 pm »
You shouldn't need to put the drag factor up to get more resistance.  The harder you pull, the more resistance you will get. 

Despite all the clues being in various posts above (stiff back, push hard with feet etc etc) I've been really struggling to get my head around how lowering the stroke rate and not increasing the drag will do anything other than slowing my progress but I finally got the message - thanks. Tonight I tried to concentrate on pushing back as hard as I could, keeping the back stiff and at last I felt the resistance. Knocked about 40secs of my previous time for 2km and there's still plenty there because I was struggling to keep the technique throughout, kept slipping back into old ways. I was still doing around 27s/m but it's going in the right direction now  :thumbsup:

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #368 on: 18 December, 2010, 09:59:25 am »
Well done Saturn.

Lower stroke rates allow the flywheel to slow down more between strokes, but allows you time to recover. You can do high pressure rowing at low rates (16-18 spm) for relatively long sessions (40+ mins) to build power per stroke without hurting your back or getting too knackered - if you can get your head round doing the same thing for that long... The higher the drag factor, the quicker it slows between strokes, and you have to find what is best for you.

As for me, erging is currently 30 mins warm-up in the gym 3 times a week, about 7km a go. Plus river outings at the weekend - but it's frozen now.  :(  Just cycled down to the river in hope of getting out - 40 mins on the bike, water bottle turned into a Slush Puppy! It's -6.5°C. Beautiful morning here, though.

Manotea

« Reply #369 on: 18 December, 2010, 12:45:31 pm »
Lower stroke rates allow the flywheel to slow down more between strokes, but allows you time to recover. You can do high pressure rowing at low rates (16-18 spm) for relatively long sessions (40+ mins) to build power per stroke without hurting your back or getting too knackered - if you can get your head round doing the same thing for that long...

That's the thing, and what I found so hard at first. To row for longer periods - as you would on the water - you have to be able to relax into the exercise, to make it more of a jog than a sprint. Once the technique is in place you can work on power.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #370 on: 18 December, 2010, 08:22:52 pm »
That's the thing, and what I found so hard at first. To row for longer periods - as you would on the water - you have to be able to relax into the exercise, to make it more of a jog than a sprint. Once the technique is in place you can work on power.

And where I row & scull you have to relax into the session; there is absolutely nothing to look at & no distractions. Which is why Cambridge train here.

An important point though; being able to relax on the recovery at any stroke rate & pressure (including flat out) is an important skill. (Yes, I am still talking about rowing - stop sniggering at the back.)

simonp

« Reply #371 on: 18 December, 2010, 10:24:56 pm »
I just passed 160km. Not far now!

Chris S

« Reply #372 on: 18 December, 2010, 10:27:54 pm »
I have not rowed at all well this month.

simonp

« Reply #373 on: 18 December, 2010, 11:42:22 pm »

Blood donation slowed you down?

Chris S

« Reply #374 on: 19 December, 2010, 01:44:50 am »

Blood donation slowed you down?

Lethargy.