Author Topic: A random thread for sport things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 128751 times)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
Indeed. It compares, not unfavourably, to the first class career of Geoffrey Charles Hurst.

But not quite on a par with that of Samuel Beckett.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Well Beckett's career lasted twice as long and I would think his occupation of the crease much longer than the other two combined.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
Well Beckett's career lasted twice as long and I would think his occupation of the crease much longer than the other two combined.

Samuel Beckett's first-class stats. He stayed in long enough to score 35 runs.

Batting and fielding averages
              Mat  Inns   NO   Runs   HS   Ave   100   50   Ct   St
First-class   2     4      0   35   18   8.75   0      0     2      0
Bowling averages
           Mat   Balls   Runs   Wkts   BBI   BBM   Ave   Econ   SR   4w   5w   10
First-class   2   138     64      0      -      -      -      2.78   -   0   0   0

Beckett is the only first-class cricketer to have won a Nobel Prize. Or perhaps it should be the only Nobel Prize winner to have played first-class cricket.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

That compares pretty well with the current England one-day captain.  Of course, its a little early to say whether or not Morgan will get a Nobel Prize for his yet-to-be-announced autobiography "Leading From Behind".  I hope he manages to resurrect his career but not in an England shirt for a while.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
I've just learned that FIFA has an "Ethics Committee" 8)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Know Thy Enemy!
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Amusing end to a football tournament

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/02/gibraltar-u16s-macedonia-goal-celebrations

Gibraltar U16 vs Macedonia U16

Last match of the tournament - Macedonia take the the lead from a corner in the 91st minute and thinking they've done enough to win the tournament rush over to celebrate with the rest of their substitutes. Sadly they're all celebrating in their own half of the field allowing Gibraltar to take a quick kick off and run up the field score and win the tournament themselves.

Action from about 1:31 onwards
Great story !!!

[is it legal to kickoff with [EDIT:]MORE THAN two players in the centre-circle?

They had 3 players in the circle - which is unusual, but probably not illegal. (stupid typo, sorry!)
]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

[is it legal to kickoff with 2 players in the centre-circle?]

Yes, in fact it's the normal way.
AIUI the rules are

All players must be in their own half of the field
No opposition players in the centre circle
Player taking the kick off must kick the ball forward and can't touch it again until another player has touched it.

The ref doesn't have to check that both teams are ready for the kick off.

If Macedonia had been celebrating at the other dugout they would have been ok. In theory the ref could have stopped it because I think a couple of Macedonian subs were inside the field of play but he either didn't notice or played an advantage.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος

Surely a typo, must be Ethnics or perhaps Essex.  Either would make more sense for FIFA than 'Ethics'.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper

Yeth, it governth football in Chelmthford, Colchethter and Thouthend.

[is it legal to kickoff with [EDIT:]MORE THAN two players in the centre-circle?

They had 3 players in the circle - which is unusual, but probably not illegal. (stupid typo, sorry!)
]

I think so

"Kick-off
• after a team scores a goal, the kick-off is taken by the other team.
• all players must be in their own half of the field of play
• the opponents of the team taking the kick-off are at least 9.15 m (10 yds)
from the ball until it is in play
• the ball must be stationary on the centre mark
• the referee gives a signal
• the ball is in play when it is kicked and moves forward
• the kicker must not touch the ball again until it has touched another player"

From the Fifa website. Other websites mention the attacking team not having more than 2 players in the centre circle but from my interpretation of the above they are incorrect.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Crossing the road with my son earlier today, he spotted an "Antifa"[scist] sticker on the pelican man. "Anti-FIFA???" he wondered, and maybe he wasn't wrong?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Come on Boro!!! (Even if you have borrowed Leeds' kit for the night.)

Tomorrow is my real dilemna- Half of the Norwich team are ex-Leeds  and we lived in Canary land for a while, within shouting distance of Carrow Road.
 BUT Mrs. M is ITFC through and through so -Come on Tractor Boys !!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
FFS!

Chicago Blackhawks sailed through the first two rounds of the Stanley cup finals, the second round being a straight 4-0 rout.

Now they are playing Anaheim Ducks in the third round and they lose their third game (of 7) AT HOME!!!!! FFS.  Pull oyour bloody collective finger out or there will be a repeat of last year! :( GRRRRRRRRRRR
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Andrij

• Андрій
I know they've been doingit for a few years, but I still think ARSEnal in blue and yellow is just WRONG.

The bbc has a report on a woman setting off from japan in a bid to be the first woman to row solo across the Pacific.

No mention in the report of Sarah Outen at all, despite Sarah having completed a row from Japan to Alaska.

I accept that the new contender is being more purist, in that they are aiming for San Francisco, but Sarah should have got a mention.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Andrij

• Андрій

Cudzoziemiec

My son's just been to his first professional football match. Real Madrid Legends v Liverpool Legends. We weren't sure what this would mean it practice; apparently (cos I'm still here in Big Island)  the legends included Zidane, Roberto Carlos, Dudek, Robbie Fowler, Ian Rush (this at least I had predicted!) and Michael Owen. Pretty good for 5 euros!

tiermat

YAY! For the third time in six seasons, The Chicago Blackhawks have won the Stanley Cup!!!

I am one happy little bunny...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

And you are alone - well, in England, anyway!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
I thought the Stanley Cup was a Blackpool & Fylde Crown Green Bowls trophy (current champions Kirkham Hamsters).

tiermat

I thought the Stanley Cup was a Blackpool & Fylde Crown Green Bowls trophy (current champions Kirkham Hamsters).

It may well be, but I am talking about it's more famous (at least in leftpondia) cousin, The Lord Stanley Cup, think of it as the FA Cup for Ice Hockey.

Cudzoziemiec

Real 4 - 2 Liverpool.
Dudek and Owen both switched teams at half time, having played for both clubs in their careers. And then in the airport yesterday, they spotted Jerzy Dudek, had a chat and got his autograph. Apparently he is quite a talkative bloke.  :thumbsup:

Sarah Outen has had the rudder torn off her boat. Bloody long way to row without being able to set a rudder.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
It's always the dream for clubs like Hartlepool to draw a premiership club in the second round of the League Cup.

Oh hang on.  Who?

WHO?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.