Author Topic: Getting broken pedals out of campy crankset success  (Read 2470 times)

Trull

• The settee will kill you
    • Aberdeen Astronomical Society
Getting broken pedals out of campy crankset success
« on: 12 April, 2013, 12:22:19 am »
About 15 years ago I bought a nice Athena Triple and fitted it to my Randonneur using SPD M-520 pedals to turn it, well the pedals are definitely killed now and it has taken me 3 months of on/off attention to get them off without harming the cranks. The winning formula was to apply heat with a butane gas torch then a goodly spray of Halfords Shock and Unlock penetrating oil (I think its actually isopropyl alcohol, it boils off really quickly) and a little spray of WD-40 then wait some time before repeating after standing on a suitably sturdy pedal wrench. I'm 16stone - which helps btw.

So, happy day - I managed to get both pedals off and the lithium teflon grease had turned to chalk dust and now I'm pedal shopping :-)

Also the penetrating oil is really good at cleaning oily/greasy stuff -and evaporates off without any residue.

Re: Getting broken pedals out of campy crankset success
« Reply #1 on: 12 April, 2013, 10:16:05 am »
probably wise to run a tap through to clean up the threads before fitting the new pedals. :)

Trull

« Reply #2 on: 15 April, 2013, 09:31:59 pm »
Very good idea!

« Reply #3 on: 19 April, 2013, 08:04:05 pm »
You missed out the scaffold bar on the park pedal spanner stage before resorting to the blowtorch...

Trull

« Reply #4 on: 20 April, 2013, 07:20:08 am »
Yeah I did try using a 1.8m handy bit of 75x20 ally box section, but backed off as I was scared of stripping the threads. The application of heat using a MAPP type gas blow torch was the best - and kept the temperature high enough to slacken but below the critical temp of aluminium. I think I'd recommend people try the thoughtful application of heat before the scaffold pole - also there's a problem with applying a moment like that - you are also generating a massive shear force which adds to the friction and further stresses the threads. You really want to balance the torque by cutting a hole in the pole in the middle, putting the wrench in the pole and then turning it by push/pulling the far ends to balance the forces to get pure torque in the middle.

« Reply #5 on: 27 May, 2013, 10:16:52 pm »
A trick I was told with any tight bolt (pedal) is to try and tighten it just a bit more to break the bond then undo it!
"Can yer ride tandem"?