Author Topic: The Perth-Albany-Perth 1200  (Read 2562 times)

The Perth-Albany-Perth 1200
« on: 30 September, 2018, 07:32:13 am »
The Perth-Albany-Perth* 1200 kicks (pedals) off at 0500 Monday 01 October (Perth time, 2200 Sun 30/09 UK)

There are 66 starters listed with 31 from overseas including 4 upholding the honour of AUK. Noting the discussions regarding PBP prequalifiers and the surge in Audax interest in Asia there are 18 riders from 6 Asian countries. The route is at https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28524000?beta=false.

Almost half the field have tracking devices and these can be followed at https://spotwalla.com/locationViewer.php?id=581

Seems like only yesterday we were following the 2014 edition.

Good luck to all the riders and happy following to the rest of us.

(*The one in Western Australia on the Swan River rather than the other one on the Tay.)

Re: The Perth-Albany-Perth 1200
« Reply #1 on: 08 October, 2018, 11:26:49 am »
I had the time of my life riding this one.  Wonderful route, laid back atmosphere & organisation.   Plus 12 points banked already this season.   Superb

Plus you may have already ticked off the 600 qualifier for PBP, or perhaps a super 1200 pre-qualifier to jump the entry queue.  I'm glad it went well, after all the build up rides, and the organisation needed just to get the start line.

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #2 on: 08 October, 2018, 01:33:52 pm »
Excellent Terry. Well done!

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #3 on: 08 October, 2018, 02:07:26 pm »
based on my 2013 ride .. you now have top priority for booking your start spot on PBP .. and of course that is your 600 qualifier out of the way
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #4 on: 09 October, 2018, 05:03:15 am »
I loved it too, weather was somewhat tougher than expected – 700km of continuous headwind down to Albany  :o but it was epic, and beautiful and (for me) probably less hard than it would have been if it'd been super hot. As usual I took several hundred photos (about half of which) are here: http://bit.ly/2E0uRKg

« Reply #5 on: 13 October, 2018, 01:17:38 am »
This a great ride and combine it with a family holiday you will have a memorable experience in Perth. This is probably the easiest 1200km I have done given the quality of the support, controls and overnight stops. The organisation and volunteers were first class. Definitely recommended.

« Reply #6 on: 30 October, 2018, 12:38:32 pm »
I had the time of my life riding this one.  Wonderful route, laid back atmosphere & organisation.   Plus 12 points banked already this season.   Superb

Plus you may have already ticked off the 600 qualifier for PBP, or perhaps a super 1200 pre-qualifier to jump the entry queue.  I'm glad it went well, after all the build up rides, and the organisation needed just to get the start line.
Suitably envious at the riders' experiences down under and impressed with the audacity and organisation to get there to ride.
They join the large number (?100+) of Audax UK randonneurs who have completed a 100km or more during the year Nov 17 - Oct 18 thus allowing PBP pre-registration at the earliest opportunity in January.
But (as they probably know) the ride doesn't seem to meet the requirement of a 600 as part of a PBP 'Qualifying' SR in the relevant period though, if I read jsabine's post correctly (from the PBP thread):
Any BRM event you ride before 31/10/18 can be used to qualify for pre-registration - sign up from Jan 2019 to guarantee your place, then complete your registration by July.
In order to complete your registration, you must ride BRM events making up an SR series between 01/11/18 and June 2019. UK events will be marked in the calendar as Somnolent says, but if you ride events abroad you'll be able to register using them too if you want.
The PBP qualification window opens (worldwide view) in 2 days time. Antipodean based riders may hold their breath. Other perhaps better not to.
Excellent reason (if one was needed) to ride a 600 next spring.