Author Topic: Old Year WARTY - Friday 30th December  (Read 13093 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Old Year WARTY - Friday 30th December
« Reply #75 on: 30 December, 2011, 09:40:12 am »
We are at Marks Tey station - a trifle early!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Re: Old Year WARTY - Friday 30th December
« Reply #76 on: 30 December, 2011, 02:08:17 pm »
And now we're at lunch.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #77 on: 30 December, 2011, 04:55:22 pm »
A nice ride in good company.  We left the pub (good food, btw) early with Wowbagger and a few others.  Currently on a train back to London.

We only just caught the train from  Marks Tey, so we didn't really get a chance to say goodbye.

Thanks to Wow for another fun year of WARTYs, whether we managed to get to them or not. :)
Getting there...

« Reply #78 on: 30 December, 2011, 04:56:06 pm »
We're on the train home- fantastic timing meant one was pulling in as we got to the station. Thank you to Wowbagger for a lovely ride. It was nice to see lots of people, especially those we haven't seen enough of lately .
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #79 on: 30 December, 2011, 05:16:43 pm »
Sorry to have missed that - still off cycling due to recovering (one hopes) from a sore lower back. Will try again next year...

« Reply #80 on: 30 December, 2011, 06:58:01 pm »
Really gutted to have missed this due to being in the rain-sodden northwest  :'( 'Tis ages since I've been out on a ride with some of you. Next time....

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #81 on: 30 December, 2011, 07:11:22 pm »
Laura, much as I treasure your company on the all-too-rare occasions that you bestow it upon me, I fear that today's ride, which was organised unseen, included roads whose true nature was entirely misrepresented by their presence in yellow on a map and as such I am greatly relieved, treasuring all portions of my anatomy as I do, that it was not my solemn responsibility to inflict the said roads upon you.  :-*
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #82 on: 30 December, 2011, 07:14:01 pm »
Laura, much as I treasure your company on the all-too-rare occasions that you bestow it upon me, I fear that today's ride, which was organised unseen, included roads whose true nature was entirely misrepresented by their presence in yellow on a map and as such I am greatly relieved, treasuring all portions of my anatomy as I do, that it was not my solemn responsibility to inflict the said roads upon you.  :-*

Ah. I see. That does make me feel a wee bit better. It might have got messy otherwise.  ;)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #83 on: 30 December, 2011, 07:20:40 pm »
Charlotte has photographic evidence and on one occasion she looked at me askance and said it was at least an 8.7. Several hardened riders were forced to dismount and walk due to the combination of skog, potholes and gradient. Add to that bits of hedge and other tree-related detritus, brambles etc. dangling down around head height and I'm sure you can appreciate that some fo the ascents and descents in the immediate pre-lunch session were of a distinctly technical nature. Teethgrinder was last to lunch because he got a puncture.

« Reply #84 on: 30 December, 2011, 07:53:20 pm »
Wow, I am now home and fed, thank you for organising a great great ride.

Wooly, Peli, I hope you have a wonderful time in South America.

Matthew

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #85 on: 30 December, 2011, 07:56:50 pm »
Home now.  That was a great ride to end the year.  :)
Getting there...

« Reply #86 on: 30 December, 2011, 08:06:36 pm »
Hugely enjoyable day in good company. The drive home was a bit interesting as is a really dark night and it decided to rain seriously.  Never ceases to amaze me what an eclectic, talented and diverse lot you are. The pit stops were really good! I am sure pics will follow re cakes and lunch. Thanks to WB for organising.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #87 on: 30 December, 2011, 08:26:39 pm »
One highlight of the day was Matthew talking shit* over the dinner table. ;D

* No, really!  And very interesting he was on the subject of sewers and treatment plans.
Getting there...

« Reply #88 on: 30 December, 2011, 08:28:43 pm »
Charlotte has photographic evidence and on one occasion she looked at me askance and said it was at least an 8.7. Several hardened riders were forced to dismount and walk due to the combination of skog, potholes and gradient. Add to that bits of hedge and other tree-related detritus, brambles etc. dangling down around head height and I'm sure you can appreciate that some fo the ascents and descents in the immediate pre-lunch session were of a distinctly technical nature. Teethgrinder was last to lunch because he got a puncture.

Sounds like it may've been a 'near-death-experience' (delivered by NSTN) for The Bearded One  ;)

Miffed to have missed this one  >:(.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #89 on: 30 December, 2011, 09:19:55 pm »
Damned fine day out, that was.  I've not been out onna purely recreational ride for ages and it's days like today that remind me what I'm missing.

Thanks to Wow for the organising - I'll post some pics of the NSTN 8.7 road surfaces tomorrow when I'm back home.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #90 on: 30 December, 2011, 09:40:14 pm »
The clue may have been in the sign 'Road closed'.  :demon:
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #91 on: 30 December, 2011, 09:45:53 pm »
Excellent day out.  GPS log available here.

Just one query: Adam, what time did you get back home?  The route I chose (alighting from the Marks Tey train at Stratford, then taking the Overground to Camden Road, and biking from there to St Pancras) allowed me to catch the 1825 St Pancras departure, which called at Luton at 1849.

It was fortunate (or prescient) that almost everyone had mudguards, as there were huge quantities of mud.  Prolly there's not been enough rain on these roads to wash them clean.

This will be hereafter known as the ride where Tim Had A Pudding (owing to a misunderstanding and a change-of-plan based on the lateness and the impending weather).

Super to chat with you all.  Sorry if I went on about trains a bit. :-[
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #92 on: 30 December, 2011, 10:45:09 pm »
At one point, as we battled through the skog, all four of the front riders - TimO, Mice, Butterfly and Adam - didn't have a mudguard between them.  I was the fifth in line.
Getting there...

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #93 on: 31 December, 2011, 12:33:48 am »
Sounds like a fun time was had!  It would have been doubly interesting for me as you went along the road, Bures area, where I broke my head back in 1996.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #94 on: 31 December, 2011, 06:53:10 am »
My alarm went off at 4am, but after yesterdays 147 miles, I decided on a lie in, so got out of my pit at 4:15.
Managed to get myself on the road at about 5 or 5:15. I'm not sure now.
I was very glad that the services were open. I had a Bacon and Brie Baguette at Balodock services plus a sit down in the warm. It made me realise how cold I was, so when I set off again, I put on my coat.
In spite of a pretty good tailwind, I was a bit slow for a visit to the cafe at Finchingfield, so pressed on for a relaxed ride to meet the WARTY at the 11ses stop. I arrived before the WARTY, so was starting on my fried breakfast as everyone arrived.
Before everyone arrived, I got chatting to another cyclist about touring, long distance cycling and stuff. He mentioned the Dun Run and PBP, so I pointed out Charlotte as doing Dun Run on a penny as well as riding a 24 hour. I think I forgot to mention that Charlotte had also done PBP, it's hard to remember it all.
After a while, it was time for the ride up to the pub.
Wowbagger had obviously been studying hard to find the most potholed and muddy lanes in Essex. I'd bet that if anyone fell down one of those holes they'd find an ancient civilisation of mole people, but they'd never be able to get back to tell anyone about it.
Auntie Helen couldn't get the rear wheel of her silly road blocking thing recumbent trike to play ball and grip the many inches (deep) of very slippery mud on the road. With the slow speed and pile of muck in the middle of the road, I was stuck behind, so was resigned to walking. Tim O didn't want his cleats getting clogged with skog, so decided to ride when he could get past.
Wowbagger also found some hills. TGL was very keen and flew up most of them. I wasn't going to chase after him and I'm not sure I could have caught him if I wanted to.
As is the way when I go mountain biking. I usualy get a puncture when my tyres are extra filthy. Today was no exception. Descending the last skogfest before lunch, I heard the ominous hissing sound. I rode on in hope and was glad to find that my tyre wasn't flat. Oh goody, not a puncture after all.
At the bottom of the skog pit, I felt that in fact, I did have a puncture after all.
I thought everyone would go on, so I stopped and fixed it. A hefty cut in the tyre, which probably should have had a tyre boot, but I got away with it. I didn't see what it was, but there was a pretty big hole in my tyre in the right place.
Puncture mended, tyre almost inflated and the angel Wowbagger appears offering assistance and tools if needed. I sent him on his way to the pub. I'd soon be moving again and might even get there first. That was scuppered by Goldtech hubs being a bit of a git to fit.
Soon at the pub for some sea bass. I was pretty tired and feeling a bit sleepy. I could have easily lay down and slept a while. It did cross my mind to try and score some of Charlottes ultra caffeinated coffee, but thought that would be a very bad idea. It'd certainly have kept me awake and got me home. Only I'd guessed that once I got home, I'd want to keep going until the caffeine wore off and I'd probably wake up Saturday morning somewhere in the West Country feeling dazed, confused and with painfull legs.
TimO was very keen that everyone should have some pudding, probably mostly so that he wouldn't feel so guilty about having some himself. A few were vaguely interested, so Tim enthusiastically ordered dessert. Soon people started putting on coats ready to leave. It turned out that only Tim had ordered dessert and was now feeling very guilty.
I considered waiting until Tim got his dessert and getting everyone to drum their fingers on the table and stare at him while he ate it.
Wowbagger had another idea, to lead the slower riders back to Marks Tey. I liked the idea of getting going, so rode a few last miles with half of the WARTY before turning off to head West.
I was glad I had my GPS. I plotted a very laney route to get back. Some of the first 5-10 miles had some more skog infested and potholed roads, but as I predicted, once I got past Sible Hedingham, the roads improved a lot.
It was also raining and continued to rain all the way home.
I decided against a cafe stop in Thaxted and thought about stopping in Baldock services again.
Allthough I was feeling pretty tired at Baldock, I decided to keep going until I got home. I was looking forwards to my pint mug of tea and some hot sponge cake. With about 25 miles to go I was getting very feeble, so slowed down. The wind had turned from a westerly this morning to more of a southerly and was picking up again after easing off in the daytime. That was mostly a cross wind for me, but when I did turn southwards, I definitely slowed down.
Really slow for the last 15 miles or so.
I was glad to get home where I could have the hot tea and chocolate sponge I'd been thinking about for the last 30 miles.
178 miles for the day, so if I bothered to sign up for the Rapha 500km challenge, I'd have done it in two days.
I now have red eyes and tired legs which is always a sign of a good ride.

« Reply #95 on: 31 December, 2011, 07:30:01 am »
 :)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #96 on: 31 December, 2011, 09:46:43 am »
I've just had to wipe milk-and-shreddies slurry off my keyboard and desk after your remark about me "studying hard".  ;D

« Reply #97 on: 31 December, 2011, 11:41:38 am »
My photos:

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #98 on: 31 December, 2011, 01:03:56 pm »
My WARTY attendence has been below par this year, so I wanted to make amends by coming along for the last one.  Despite the cold, it was a good turnout at Marks Tey Station:-

although some people had to be woken up on the train............

As mentioned above, it was quite an "agricultural" sort of ride at times, as there was a solid layer of chutney covering a lot of the roads in places, so apologies for the lack of mudguards and not being in audax mode. 

At the cake stop, there was plenty to choose from, so that was a good location.

The second third of the ride was a bit more rolling, although there was some incredulity expressed at the giddy altitudes reached of 65 metres.  I was half expecting to see horse drawn carriages at one point, as some of the roads couldn't see much traffic.  Some of the lanes, as well as having grass growing up the middle, also seemed to have half a field dumped on them, which meant a lot of walking in places.  Definitely not NSTN-friendly!  There was even a dead Badger at the side of one lane, to make some of the riders feel more at home.

Despite Wowbagger then trying to send some of us down a farm track (no doubt a cunning plan to delay us getting to the lunch stop), at the pub we were served quickly despite the place being full.

And by popular request, here's a photo of Tim's dessert

Helen suggested a slightly shorter return route, so after a bit of GPS re-programming, the rest of us set off into the drizzly murk and had about a 10 minute wait for the next train back to London.

It's a shame the whole day was very grey, as there were some lovely views at times, either of countryside or man made, such as a viaduct, which would have looked even better in bright daylight, but it just means Wowbagger will simply have to re-run this route (with some extra miles) in the summer.

All of the photos are here.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #99 on: 31 December, 2011, 01:17:11 pm »
Just one query: Adam, what time did you get back home?  The route I chose (alighting from the Marks Tey train at Stratford, then taking the Overground to Camden Road, and biking from there to St Pancras) allowed me to catch the 1825 St Pancras departure, which called at Luton at 1849.

I got to Farringdon at 18:00 and got the (fast-ish)18:15 FCC train in the end.  As I'd got the bike through the barriers there without any problem, I figured I'd stay on it, so got to Luton Airport Parkway at 18:57.  If I'd taken the earlier, all stopping train, I could have got off at St Pancras in time to get the 18:25, but I didn't want to risk it, in case the barrier attendants there decided to stick to the peak time no bikes rule.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein