Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625229 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #2100 on: 06 August, 2012, 07:24:51 pm »
You should travel First Class....loads of room in there normally  ;D (works pays!!!)

My grumble.... my vets has just told me while they would love to, they can't give me a "Frequent flyers" discount....grumble, grumble, grumble... spent over a grand there in the last two months... should have taken out insurance...grumble grumble grumble.

A friend of mine, many moons ago, had to start a torrid affair with the Veterinary Nurse just to avoid some horrendous bills for his dog.

« Reply #2101 on: 06 August, 2012, 07:27:00 pm »
There was room overhead. If I can manage to lift a bag up there, the big fat guy should be able to.

Maybe I've spent too much times on trains designed for tilting (and therefore bugger all useful room for luggage at head height once the arctic-rated air conditioning is installed), and become overly cynical about the average train passenger's luggage (which seems to be a giant hardshell wheely case with a mind of its own, and an assortment of poorly-managed carrier bags).

The old slam-door trains had proper luggage racks.  Sort of thing you could hang a mountain bike by the saddle from, and still have room for a large rucksack.

They can always be better, but the TPE trains aren't as bad as some. The overhead rack takes relatively big stuff, and these two had a squidgy rucksack each.

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2102 on: 07 August, 2012, 12:32:38 pm »
Just spectacularly lost balance and fell up the stairs, spilling orange juice everywhere and bashing my knee.   >:(

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2103 on: 07 August, 2012, 12:36:19 pm »
Just spectacularly lost balance and fell up the stairs, spilling orange juice everywhere and bashing my knee.   >:(

How's the orange juice?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2104 on: 07 August, 2012, 12:37:42 pm »
It's improved the colour of the wallpaper no end.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2105 on: 07 August, 2012, 01:36:18 pm »
It's improved the colour of the wallpaper no end.

Meep!  Poor cat. 

I am wearing grey trousers.  I should know better when menstruating! >:(

« Reply #2106 on: 07 August, 2012, 01:39:04 pm »
We are going to have to buy a car.

MrsCharly has just been given her next prac posting - Harrogate Hospital.

ffs, they have it listed that we don't have a car. Harrogate bloody hospital isn't even near any bloody train station.  So far, two out of 3 of her placements have been an absolute dog to get to.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2107 on: 07 August, 2012, 01:41:53 pm »
Harrogate Hospital is near, surprisingly enough, Harrogate train station.

Getting from York to Harrogate, via train though is another matter :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2108 on: 07 August, 2012, 01:46:10 pm »
Seems to be a direct train with a 30-40min travel time ???
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #2109 on: 07 August, 2012, 02:50:17 pm »
Harrogate hospital is not next to the train station.

It is equidistant from Starbeck and Harrogate train stations. Easy cycling distance - but that would be on the line that doesn't allow bikes during peak period.

It's also near 40min train journey + cycle/walk time. Try doing that with 13hour shifts.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2110 on: 07 August, 2012, 03:00:42 pm »

It is equidistant from Starbeck and Harrogate train stations. Easy cycling distance - but that would be on the line that doesn't allow bikes during peak period.

It's also near 40min train journey + cycle/walk time. Try doing that with 13hour shifts.

I understand your point, especially if it's bad weather and you are feeling a bit bad, but on the other hand you do have to factor in a 22 mile drive after a 13hr shift.

Not saying driving may not be the best option though.

« Reply #2111 on: 07 August, 2012, 03:08:20 pm »
And factor in odd finishing times (8:30, 9pm) and a woman walking or cycling alone from hospital to train station.

Frankly, I can't see it as practically doable without driving.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

« Reply #2112 on: 07 August, 2012, 03:21:13 pm »

I didn't say it was....

Having spent far too long in that hospital (where long enough is <1day/night), this is something else I know...

Fair point, I wasn't aware of that from your first post.

It really does suck, doesn't it that TPTB assume car ownership?  I do also agree with Mcshroom WRT driving after a 13 hour shift, it is not a great leap to equate a 13 hour shift on a ward with doing a 300K Audax then jumping in the car and driving home.  BTDTGTTS (though a different job).
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2113 on: 07 August, 2012, 03:24:20 pm »
And factor in odd finishing times (8:30, 9pm) and a woman walking or cycling alone from hospital to train station.

What's wrong with a woman walking or cycling alone from hospital to station at 9pm?  We don't turn into pumpkins at sunset...   ???

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2114 on: 07 August, 2012, 03:27:04 pm »
300k is pushing it I think. I ride 200s in about 12hrs.

I accept there are definite advantages to driving in that there's no waiting for trains and you get door to door in your own personal customisable space. It's annoying that the course expect people to drive though.

« Reply #2115 on: 07 August, 2012, 03:41:11 pm »

What's wrong with a woman walking or cycling alone from hospital to station at 9pm?  We don't turn into pumpkins at sunset...   ???
Nope, women don't.

But the animals come out to play :(
Maybe it isn't a problem where you live. It's a problem elsewhere.

What pisses me off is that the uni don't assume car ownership. They ask on the form if you have a car.

Then MrsCharly still gets posts in inaccessible places.

What they assume is that you can temporarily relocate to another town for 2-3months at a stretch. Not really ok if you have family.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

« Reply #2116 on: 07 August, 2012, 03:42:16 pm »

The route that would need to be taken (and I can think of at least two) is not that cycle friendly, even for an experienced rider, even less so for those without the experience.

LindaG

« Reply #2117 on: 07 August, 2012, 03:55:05 pm »
Can she claim mileage for traveling away from her base university?

What are taxi fares like between hospital and station?

My commute takes me through some interesting areas at interesting times. I've encountered my share of harassment abuse and intimidation.  The only solution is to put your 'fuck you' head on and ride assertively.  Not everyone is as foolhardy as me.  With a bit of luck she might be able to get a lift into town with a colleague after work.

Our uni used to do this. Its idiotic.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2118 on: 07 August, 2012, 03:56:58 pm »
After a 13 hour shift, I can't imagine any sort of best option, only variously bad options. What the point of such long shifts is, I don't know - I can't imagine it's much good for patients' care either.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LindaG

« Reply #2119 on: 07 August, 2012, 04:01:07 pm »
After a 13 hour shift, I can't imagine any sort of best option, only variously bad options. What the point of such long shifts is, I don't know - I can't imagine it's much good for patients' care either.

Well, thanks very much  ::-)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2120 on: 07 August, 2012, 04:05:23 pm »

Nope, women don't.

But the animals come out to play :(
Maybe it isn't a problem where you live. It's a problem elsewhere.

I've lived in various places, and I've always felt safer than the men of my age.  I'd get verbal harassment; they'd actually be assaulted.  Statistics do seem to confirm this trend.  I also note that while the rapist-in-the-bushes thing isn't actually a myth, when it came to attacks on Brizzle students during the time I was there, they were as likely to target males as females.

More crucially, walking or cycling means you're not hanging around waiting for buses and the like.  That's usually where the trouble comes.

The route that would need to be taken (and I can think of at least two) is not that cycle friendly, even for an experienced rider, even less so for those without the experience.

A valid point, but I'm sure it's going to be more cycle-friendly after 8:30 than during rush hour.

Back to the original point, it does sound like one of those situations where motorised transport is the sanest option (not least from a bike security POV).  I remember friends of mine on teaching placements having the same problem.   :(

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2121 on: 07 August, 2012, 04:06:11 pm »

Well, thanks very much  ::-)
My point is that not only would shorter shifts make travel easier in mrcharly's case, but generally I would think that, say 3 x 13 hours is more tiring than 5 x 8 hours for the same total working time, especially at the end of each shift.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2122 on: 07 August, 2012, 04:10:53 pm »
She'll get paid for public transport. Not sure about taxi fares - good point, thanks.

Cuds, the 13hour shifts ensure an overlap. Not every shift is 13, some are a more normal 8. Making some 13 ensures continuity of care. Can be very important when dealing with patients whose condition isn't stable.

I've worked on an 8hour  3 shift system. It was far more disorientating than two twelve hour shifts.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2123 on: 07 August, 2012, 04:14:05 pm »
5x8 could easily be more tiring than 3x13 once you factor in the effort of the commute...

LindaG

« Reply #2124 on: 07 August, 2012, 04:20:19 pm »
And sometimes it was 10x8, don't forget, because you only need to average a 37.5 hour week.  And that was far more tiring than 3 or 4x12.

You're right about the driving home though.  When you're on your feet you stay awake.  A lot of the time you're running on adrenaline anyway.  Staying alert at work isn't a problem.

It's when you sit down that the dozies really hit.   :(  In the driving seat, for example.