Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625205 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #4525 on: 21 February, 2014, 09:31:54 am »
Taking a day off to do a nice bike ride works better if you wake up in time to make the train. :facepalm:

Well Plan B looks like a trip to Shildon to see the A4s before they go home.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4526 on: 21 February, 2014, 02:25:54 pm »
Taking a day off to do a nice bike ride works better if you wake up in time to make the train. :facepalm:

What is up with me? The place is heaving and I've just pulled out of going in twice because I can't face the crowds. :(

« Reply #4527 on: 21 February, 2014, 03:00:59 pm »
Both my wife and I have to use a car for work. Mine cos a bike commute isn't practical given the distance and time available  :( and because my wife travels to different locations she has to drive. My car conked out last week due to contaminated fuel and although I thought I'd fixed it, it's still not right.

Using my wife's car last  night (as she is away) the cam belt snapped on the way home..... so a (not so) fun weekend of car(s) fettling awaits me..... bah humbug.  >:(
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4528 on: 21 February, 2014, 07:09:52 pm »
I am locked out of my house. My house full of people who are obviously sound asleep and unwakeablr. Might as well wander into town and buy breakfast then  ::-) ::-)

This wouldn't happen with a Rod Hull doorbell...   ;D

« Reply #4529 on: 21 February, 2014, 07:13:49 pm »
I am locked out of my house. My house full of people who are obviously sound asleep and unwakeablr. Might as well wander into town and buy breakfast then  ::-) ::-)

Is that the sort that attracts their attention by turning the TV on and off?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4530 on: 21 February, 2014, 07:50:10 pm »
;D

No.  It's just the sound of Michael Parkinson beating an emu to death with his bare hands.
Getting there...

« Reply #4531 on: 21 February, 2014, 07:59:57 pm »

What is up with me? The place is heaving and I've just pulled out of going in twice because I can't face the crowds. :(

That sounds crap, Mcshroom.

You weren't on your bike, were you? I saw a Dawes parked outside just as we were leaving.

And yes, it was chuffing heaving.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4532 on: 21 February, 2014, 08:13:04 pm »

That sounds crap, Mcshroom.

You weren't on your bike, were you? I saw a Dawes parked outside just as we were leaving.

And yes, it was chuffing heaving.
No unfortunately I was in the car.

I've always been shy when I don't know people, but I need to work out what to do with social situations as I'm uncomfortable in even reasonable sized social situations (eg: busy pubs) on my own now, and it's coming to a head if I can drive 100 miles to an event that I want to go to, and then not go in simply because I couldn't mentally handle being in a large crowd. Cycling or Singing I find a bit easier by turning up and concentrating on doing that activity, but I need to find a way to cope in less structured situations. :(

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4533 on: 21 February, 2014, 08:26:45 pm »
I've always been shy when I don't know people, but I need to work out what to do with social situations as I'm uncomfortable in even reasonable sized social situations (eg: busy pubs) on my own now, and it's coming to a head if I can drive 100 miles to an event that I want to go to, and then not go in simply because I couldn't mentally handle being in a large crowd. Cycling or Singing I find a bit easier by turning up and concentrating on doing that activity, but I need to find a way to cope in less structured situations. :(
Been there, done that, got several T-shirts - you have my sympathies, 'cos I suffer from it too.

(I'm not as bad as I was, but I still get accused of being reclusive - goes with the territory)

« Reply #4534 on: 21 February, 2014, 08:38:59 pm »
I don't have any particular anxieties about crowds (I get irritable, mind).

But that was busy - I wouldn't have fancied it on my own.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4535 on: 21 February, 2014, 08:46:06 pm »
Migraine.  Bleurgh.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4536 on: 21 February, 2014, 10:31:42 pm »

Is that the sort that attracts their attention by turning the TV on and off?
No, it plays this...

http://youtu.be/0r8afyJjOsM

(yes, I know I posted it elsewhere, but it's so unbelievably, hilariously crap no one should escape it)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4537 on: 22 February, 2014, 01:54:19 pm »
Migraine.  Bleurgh.

Fixed with 13.5 hours sleep...

« Reply #4538 on: 24 February, 2014, 07:00:47 pm »
Google Play Scrabble app: I used to put up with the irritation of banner ads every turn, but now you are making me watch TSB 30-second videos every other turn, wtf? App uninstalled.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #4539 on: 25 February, 2014, 02:16:02 pm »
Is there something about Manchester that attracts an unseemly amount of tele-marketers? All the junk calls I've been getting lately have been from the 0161 area...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4540 on: 25 February, 2014, 02:20:01 pm »
Is there something about Manchester that attracts an unseemly amount of tele-marketers? All the junk calls I've been getting lately have been from the 0161 area...

If I were a telemarketer, I'd present an area code from one of the major cities.  Less likely to be rejected.

Most of ours are from 020 numbers, thobut.  Or international.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #4541 on: 27 February, 2014, 01:57:29 pm »
I needed a 1" socket for a lockring remover. Walked all the way to B&Q, only to find out that they don't sell individual imperial-sized sockets, only metric, and even the sets they sell only go up to 7/8".

:facepalm:

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4542 on: 27 February, 2014, 09:17:08 pm »
Tottenham Hotspur Foopball Club have their ground at White Hart Lane. Having a meeting today at a sporting venue in White Hart Lane today, I though I was onto a winner by going to White Hart Lane, home of THFC.  How foolish was that? White Hart Lane, home of THFC isn't in White Hart Lane is it?  White Hart Lane Community Sports Centre is though, as I eventually found out.   
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4543 on: 28 February, 2014, 09:43:14 am »
The missus is forever hooking her reading/working glasses down the neck of whatever she's wearing, then dropping them somewhere and setting up a hue & cry until they're found. Won't put a cord on them.

So this morning she drops them while getting the car out & drives over them.

Knowing the price of spec frames, we're out a significant chunk of money.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4544 on: 28 February, 2014, 12:32:16 pm »
Irritating people (1): cyclists with no mudguards who overtake then pull straight in front - just because you don't care about having a soaked arse, doesn't mean everyone else wants a face full of grimy water.

Irritating people (2): Ok, so you've had a hard day. Perhaps you nearly missed the train. For some reason you want to communicate this by making that blowing air noise with your lips nearly closed. But for Pete's sake don't fucking do it when your sitting in a table seat on the train opposite a complete stranger! I really, really don't want a face full of your halitosis and dog knows how many germs. Repeatedly.

Get some flaming manners, people!
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #4545 on: 28 February, 2014, 02:01:20 pm »
To the people who make underpants for men: If you're going to include a penis portal, make it useable. I bought a pack of pants from (I think) Tesco that would require my cock to describe an N to use the hatch.

:facepalm:
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4546 on: 28 February, 2014, 02:31:50 pm »
Stanley, some of your "Pozidriv 0" screwdrivers have much larger/smaller tips than some of your other "Pozidriv 0" screwdrivers.  Sort it out!

(No, I didn't get Phillips or Pozidriv 1 instead of Pozidriv 0 by mistake).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4547 on: 28 February, 2014, 02:50:53 pm »
For Royal Mail Airmail, the parcel counts as a Letter if it CONTAINS a personal letter.  The "Letter", "Large Letter" and "Packet" sizes only apply to posting within the UK.  There is no size restriction for Airmail Letters (up to the size limit for Airmail in general).

UPDATE:  This is changing on 31 March.  The RM has closed the loophole.  International Letters will no longer have to contain personal correspondence, but will have to conform to the UK domestic Letter size restrictions.  www.royalmail.com/termschanges

This will increase the cost of posting certain things from 88p to £3.20 (Europe) or £3.80 (World Zone 1) or £4.00 (World Zone 2, a 4.5 times increase all of a sudden).  And the Airmail 10g Letter option has gone, raising the cost of sending a 10g letter beyond Europe from 88p to £1.28, a 45% rise.

Handy calculator with current prices: http://www.seajays.org.uk/postage/

New prices: http://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/RM_OurPrices_Mar2014.pdf
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4548 on: 28 February, 2014, 03:06:58 pm »
I've done this one before but it's worth grumbling again - Lotus Notes!

I can't believe I'm actually looking forward to you benig replaced with MS Outlook later in the year.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4549 on: 28 February, 2014, 05:45:27 pm »
Boo.  It's nearly the end of my "Most of February Off"
(I had to do it in order to bring my a/l balance down to the maximum allowable 10 days carry over.)
My leave year begins 1st March.  That will add another 32 days.   :facepalm:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.