Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625483 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #6575 on: 13 July, 2015, 10:36:22 am »

The bloody cleaner has thrown away random food from the fridge at work. No logic to it, they've chucked a just-opened jar of jam and tub of marg of mine. Done the same to other people's food.

Since the office manager/receptionist and I went through the fridge on Fri checking dates on the food we know none of it was out of date.

Gits.

How do you know it was thrown away & not just nicked?

Back when I was young & beautiful the cleaners in our office tossed out the source decks & 4"-thick documentation of a BASIC interpreter a colleague was working on. He'd left them in a CS carton beside his desk.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6576 on: 13 July, 2015, 10:39:59 am »

The bloody cleaner has thrown away random food from the fridge at work. No logic to it, they've chucked a just-opened jar of jam and tub of marg of mine. Done the same to other people's food.

Since the office manager/receptionist and I went through the fridge on Fri checking dates on the food we know none of it was out of date.

Gits.

How do you know it was thrown away & not just nicked?

I don't. I'm trying to be less negative.

If they nicked it, they left the office with a large bag of food. I'm not the only person whose food went missing.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6577 on: 13 July, 2015, 10:42:12 am »
They probably had a snack in the office.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #6578 on: 13 July, 2015, 10:45:25 am »
I would very much like to know which idiot decided it would be a good idea to change all the diagrams into pictures in the document I'm working on. Adding an extra box now involves recreating the whole diagram </Word Blues>
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #6579 on: 13 July, 2015, 11:11:25 am »
I would very much like to know which idiot decided it would be a good idea to change all the diagrams into pictures in the document I'm working on. Adding an extra box now involves recreating the whole diagram </Word Blues>
Oh yes, that trick.

Company standard tool for diagrams is Visio. Document writer draws diagram in Visio, saves as jpg then inserts jpg into Word.
I nearly caused apoplexy by suggesting they embed visio diagram in Word, you know, so it can be edited from Word.

I'm pretty sure OLE was invented somewhere back in the mid ninties. 20 years ago, ffs
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #6580 on: 13 July, 2015, 12:59:43 pm »
Oh yes, that trick.

Company standard tool for diagrams is Visio. Document writer draws diagram in Visio, saves as jpg then inserts jpg into Word.
I nearly caused apoplexy by suggesting they embed visio diagram in Word, you know, so it can be edited from Word.

I'm pretty sure OLE was invented somewhere back in the mid ninties. 20 years ago, ffs

Sorry, I do that (picture enhanced metafile, NOT jpg) routinely for distribution documents (as opposed to reference) for reasons of size.

Corel used to do a program called Corel Trace that could convert a picture into a vector diagram, useful in extremis.

ian

« Reply #6581 on: 13 July, 2015, 01:17:26 pm »
Me too.

OLE has been uniformly horrible and will break the moment it leaves your desktop, resulting in an <image link missing!> or a 10 dpi bitmap preview. Distributed documents have to be stupid-proofed or, in my experience, they will come back and haunt you.

« Reply #6582 on: 13 July, 2015, 01:37:09 pm »
Um, no. You are both wrong.

If you embed, then the document can be distributed without issue.  That's the point of embedding.

If you link, then there is almost no effect on document size but you have a serious risk of broken link if the document is moved. I'm not a fan.

File size a problem? Save as PDF and tell people to embed comments in the PDF if they are reviewing.

I do this for a living, btw.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #6583 on: 13 July, 2015, 03:48:47 pm »
Markup languages and source control. But that may expect too much of the cow-orkers...

:)
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #6584 on: 13 July, 2015, 03:50:03 pm »

Gits.
I recall periodic fridge clean outs at work. Cleaners had instructions to dispose of the contents & clean the inside of the fridge. Health reasons. They said what they were doing & when, though.

Might this have been an unannounced fridge cleaning? Or was it partial?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6585 on: 13 July, 2015, 03:53:40 pm »
The write-up of the Battle Mountain event for the BHPC is traditionally a collaborative venture between me and my grate frend Mr Woolrich but my patience was sorely tried last year when his additions to my sparkling prose appeared through the æther as a Word document with a metric fuckton of high resolution photos embedded in it, requiring much tedious mucking about in hyperspace as it was way too big to be sent as an e-mail attachment.  The only thing in favour of this approach is that it is easier to do now than it was in the days of dial-up.

Removing the photos cut the size from somewhere north of 120 MB to about 800k and gave much relief to long-suffering Mr Editor Bird.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #6586 on: 13 July, 2015, 04:09:31 pm »

Gits.
I recall periodic fridge clean outs at work. Cleaners had instructions to dispose of the contents & clean the inside of the fridge. Health reasons. They said what they were doing & when, though.

Might this have been an unannounced fridge cleaning? Or was it partial?
The office manager/receptionist (who has mild OCD and obsesses on cleaning) has no idea. If she was happy with the state of the fridge on friday, trust me, it was clean with no out of date food.

Mr Martin, markup language don't play that well with randomly embedded graphics. You know I said I do this for a living?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #6587 on: 13 July, 2015, 04:28:49 pm »
Does that strange buzzing noise indicate that the boiler at Larrington Towers is about to explode?  Why, no!  No, it does not!  Instead it indicates that some certifiable dick is playing with a radio-controlled racing car, in the street, at two o'clock on a Monday morning.

I had visions of that scene from "The Dead Pool", which would at least save me the cost of getting my motor-car serviced.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #6588 on: 16 July, 2015, 03:36:14 pm »
One of the endless list of things 'we' need to do was paint the shed.  This hasn't happened since the initial cuprinol I whacked onto it when I first erected it 5 years ago.

We have a fair share of effort and duties here.
I'm allowed to pay for the equipment and paint.
Mrs. B is allowed to choose the colour.
I'm allowed to do the work.
Mrs. B is allowed to give advice and constructive criticism as the work progresses.

"We're having Sea Grass."   (Looks light blue to me)
"OK"
"Except the double doors on the front will be Country Cream". ( Looks Cream to me.  I don't get the Country bit)
"OK"
"And the gable end boards will be cream.....
" Really?"
"...... except for the pointy piece at top centre.  That will be Sea Grass"
"Yes dear." ( I know my place)

Two coats and much later.
"Ooh, that looks lovely"

"Looks like a fucking Wendy House"
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6589 on: 16 July, 2015, 04:02:33 pm »
Seems like a reasonable allocation of tasks.  I'm banned from choosing paint colours after the 'menstrual tomato' incident.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #6590 on: 16 July, 2015, 10:08:01 pm »
My singlespeed commuter's BB sounds like it's on the way out (creaks when pressure is applied on either pedal). Looks like this is going to have to be a 2 step job as Trek don't tell you the spindle length. I was hoping to buy a replacement and then take the cranks off.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6591 on: 17 July, 2015, 10:14:50 am »
I think I killed my i-Pod.
Milk please, no sugar.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #6592 on: 17 July, 2015, 10:31:32 am »
:-\

Put it back in the airing cupboard/rice etc. for as long as you can?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6593 on: 17 July, 2015, 07:18:47 pm »
Partner grumbled that he couldn't see reason I wanted lights switched on when computer display is illuminated.
I said I could focus better on screen through smaller pupils.
Partner is a physics graduate.
And astronomer/astrophotographer.
And grumbler.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6594 on: 17 July, 2015, 09:29:33 pm »
Isn't it the peripheral retina that determines iris dilation and retinal sensitivity, so that not having lights on makes your iris dilate and your depth of field diminish, besides overloading your retina?  As an astronomer he should appreciate that.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6595 on: 17 July, 2015, 09:38:03 pm »
Dammit.  Forgot to buy milk.  No morning tea for me tomorrow.

I might go to work really early so I can top up my levels in the morning.

Also, shaved my legs and cut myself and bled all over my nice clean sheets.  Bum.
Milk please, no sugar.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6596 on: 18 July, 2015, 09:22:17 pm »

IT LIVES!!!!

:D
Milk please, no sugar.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #6597 on: 18 July, 2015, 09:23:50 pm »
:thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #6598 on: 18 July, 2015, 10:13:30 pm »
When heating SOUP in a combination oven thing, ensure that the correct sequence of buttons is pressed to microwave it, rather than heat it ovenwise.

Dolt.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6599 on: 19 July, 2015, 10:19:49 am »

IT LIVES!!!!

:D

Oh.  No it doesn't.
Milk please, no sugar.