Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625209 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #12175 on: 19 June, 2020, 03:15:46 pm »
I'll need three tea stains today in some sort of quantum interposition. Document in three sequential, chronological parts: first they send the second part, which is called Part 4; then the first part, which they've called Part 2; and finally the third part, which they've called Part 1.   ???
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12176 on: 23 June, 2020, 03:20:54 pm »
Some monosyllable in the neighbourhood is using some kind of machine that emits a high-pitched whistle.  They're been at it for around 3 hours now.  It even gets through the headphones and whatever music I'm playing.  Just about climbing the walls. >:(
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #12177 on: 23 June, 2020, 06:42:29 pm »
Car went into main dealer for a clutch cylinder  recall. A few days later on the motorway I hear a flapping sound. Pull into services and sure enough the undertray is hanging loose. 30 mins of grovelling installing cable ties to hold it up. Another 40 today to reinstall set screws and repair consequential damage. I'm wondering what to say to the incompetent fools. Before you ask it was going to take longer to return it to them to fix Plus would not have trusted them to carry out a repair.

« Reply #12178 on: 23 June, 2020, 09:39:55 pm »
Upstairs neighbour has his girlfriend round (this is not the grumble).

She's a slight little thing, but fuck me, she has a tread like a little hippo. Stompy-stomp around the flat.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12179 on: 23 June, 2020, 11:22:52 pm »
Upstairs neighbour has his girlfriend round (this is not the grumble).

She's a slight little thing, but fuck me, she has a tread like a little hippo. Stompy-stomp around the flat.

The first time I met barakta's mum (the first time she'd introduced a same-sex partner, so inherently awkward), she decided that we both stomp on the stairs the same way, so I must be okay.

We do endeavour not to be anyone's upstairs neighbour, thobut.  While I can make active effort to walk like a physioterrorist, barakta's almost incapable of being quiet (and tends to knock things over if she tries).

« Reply #12180 on: 24 June, 2020, 08:15:16 am »
Just an observation.  I have met few women who are light on their feet (my late mother being one of them) and observe that I don't hear the approach of men by footfall nearly as much as I do women.

Perhaps evolution had the hunter gatherers stealthily stalking their prey whilst the cave makers were busy being very very busy and by nature scaring off predators.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12181 on: 24 June, 2020, 08:18:41 am »
Sounds like my son - comes down on his heels when he walks.  Funny thing is that he used to do aikido, and can fall on the floor and roll back onto his feet almost silently.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #12182 on: 24 June, 2020, 08:54:06 am »
Damn it. The lawn mower won’t start. I wanted to get the grass cut before it gets too hot but now I’m going to have to rummage for a plug socket that will fit the oddly sized plug. Bugger.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12183 on: 24 June, 2020, 11:23:22 am »
Just an observation.  I have met few women who are light on their feet (my late mother being one of them) and observe that I don't hear the approach of men by footfall nearly as much as I do women.

Perhaps evolution had the hunter gatherers stealthily stalking their prey whilst the cave makers were busy being very very busy and by nature scaring off predators.

I am accused of creeping up on people in the house! I habitually go barefoot (bearfoot?) and blame my "stealth feet"  ;D
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #12184 on: 24 June, 2020, 01:05:04 pm »

It is noticeable at work, on a Mezzanine floor but some of that is down to wearing heels.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12185 on: 24 June, 2020, 01:13:09 pm »

I am accused of creeping up on people in the house! I habitually go barefoot (bearfoot?) and blame my "stealth feet"  ;D

I.e. normal feet: come down on the ball of the foot first according to the design spec and you get the extra shock absorption afforded by the ankle/calf subsystem.

« Reply #12186 on: 24 June, 2020, 03:15:59 pm »
Design spec?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #12187 on: 24 June, 2020, 06:26:37 pm »
We weren't affected by any of the bog roll/flour/pasta shortages.  Our local convenience store and our (not very) supermarket always had stock.  However today we went to our local garden centre for compost but were restricted to three bags. (We need a lot more).
The owner said it was something to do with a shortage of the plastic sacks which are made in Spain.   ???
Our suggestion that as we were two customers, we could have six bags got us nowhere.
So, lots of driving to Newcastle Emlyn, Aber Teifi and maybe even Lampeter tomorrow.   :(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12188 on: 24 June, 2020, 06:35:33 pm »
We've had some compost delivered by our milkandmore milkman, but that was limited to a single 40 litre bag.
David sas the compost is rather stringy this year and the seedlings haven't done very well.

meddyg's post reminds me of of childhood holidays in our neighbour's holiday home. This was near Dinas Cross.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12189 on: 24 June, 2020, 07:58:40 pm »
my germination has been very patchy this year, but it's definitely not the compost, I've got a seed tray with two rows each of cosmos and marigold.  The cosmos are going great guns, the marigolds have 0% germination
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #12190 on: 25 June, 2020, 10:20:17 pm »
People are letting off fireworks, beeping their car horns, shouting, singing & generally being antisocial twats.  Something to do with sportsball I believe..... >:(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12191 on: 26 June, 2020, 10:13:57 am »

ian

« Reply #12192 on: 26 June, 2020, 11:43:04 am »
Bah, grinding all morning from up the road. And the moment they take a brief break, the hyper-loud woman from the house with the Famous Levitating Tent talking to her dogs. Honestly, it's two gardens away from the bottom of ours, and she's so loud she could be standing in our garden. And she's talking in that stupid baby-voice that idiots use with their dogs, which makes it even more annoying. I'd like to introduce her to power tools.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #12193 on: 26 June, 2020, 12:26:32 pm »
How many BT Business Broadband routers does a man need??  BT's amazing system is beyond belief . ..

September 2019 - renegotiated our BB contract - no changes other than cheaper, seamless transfer to the BT Hub and 4G Assure dongle supplied at the previous new contract in 2016.      A new BB router and 4G Assure dongle appeared. 

February 2020 - moved house and moved the phone line etc (same number) - admin cocked up by BT but sorted with a temporary solution.  A new BB router and 4G Assure dongle appeared. 

April 2020 - temporary soluton modified (with engineer not able to enter the buidling) - working a bit better.  A new BB router and 4G Assure dongle appeared. 

June 2020 - final solution sorted with a new 24 month contract at reduced cost and some freebies + 3 months free for compensation  :thumbsup:   . . . and guess what happened today?    A new BB router and 4G Assure dongle appeared

Our BT contact suggested that we keep at least one as a "spare" in case of failure.

They say that you can send the routers back . . .. but the system doesn't tell you where.   

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #12194 on: 27 June, 2020, 04:48:03 pm »
Had to shut all the windows, losing the cooling breeze, after I ran out of tolerance of the screaming sprogs running up and down the street outside.  >:(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12195 on: 27 June, 2020, 05:12:04 pm »
I miss the screaming sprogs.  We've got wanker drivers.

« Reply #12196 on: 27 June, 2020, 05:17:35 pm »
And she's talking in that stupid baby-voice that idiots use with their dogs, which makes it even more annoying. I'd like to introduce her to power tools.

Yeah, what is it with that? Out new neighbours 17 year old daughter is forever saying “gooood booooy, goood girrrrl” to their two black labs. Oh, and saying “quite” without training the dogs in the appropriate response is never going to work. Luckily it’s only when they know they’re being taken for a walk that they they bark.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12197 on: 27 June, 2020, 08:43:56 pm »
Emptied the recycling box into the green bin.  Wind picked up.  Empty cans everywhere.  RTHA builders working on house opposite amused.  Bah!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #12198 on: 27 June, 2020, 09:13:39 pm »
I miss the screaming sprogs.  We've got wanker drivers.

We live in a cul-de-sac, thankfully
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #12199 on: 28 June, 2020, 11:03:48 am »
It’s not often I feel disgruntled with Amazon, but today I do. I ordered an impact wrench, ostensibly from a company in Aberdeen, but “fulfilled by Amazon”. It should be arriving today, but I’ve had no notification. Despite two other items being “out for delivery” it still says “dispatched”. So I look further - oh, “Undeliverable. A problem occurred during delivery and the package has been returned to Amazon. A refund will be issued in 5-7 business days once the return has been processed”. Bah. The seller is still on Amazon, and advertising that there are 10 of these still available, why can’t they just send another??  And it’s not MY fault it can’t be delivered, so why can’t I have my money back now. When I looked at the detail tracking, it actually came from Germany, via East Midlands. Then at 09:55 this morning it was at Amazon Bardon Hill (Coalville)  “loading”. At 11:24 it was “returned to Amazon”.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)