Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625283 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #15725 on: 13 January, 2023, 08:00:30 am »
Kim's chequebook is in the top drawer next to me. While she didn't know that, it is the logical first place she would have looked.

Which raises the question of why you’re being kept in the same drawer as the chequebook?

I also had a refund from GWR as my most recent cheque paying in.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #15726 on: 13 January, 2023, 09:12:31 am »
There’s a hole in my (left) marigold.
 >:(
I always keep a pair on hand (boom-tish) for such calamities.
Aha: like marmalade? Buy the next jar when you open the current one?
 :thumbsup:
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #15727 on: 13 January, 2023, 10:16:43 am »
The coffee machine is doing exactly what I tell it to do in spite of me wanting it to do something different! Pah.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #15728 on: 13 January, 2023, 11:38:32 am »
The coffee machine is doing exactly what I tell it to do in spite of me wanting it to do something different! Pah.
Why aren't these smart machines intelligent too?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #15729 on: 13 January, 2023, 11:45:10 am »
Post Offices keep a stock of envelopes

Living in a rural area, this is by far the simplest way for us to pay in cheques

This works for us painlessly..

I keep forgetting that we have a NatWest in the car park every Wednesday from 10.00 till 13.00.
I ended up behind a mobile horseybank for a bit on a bike ride once.  It was notable for the unusual satellite dish on the roof, and the lack of equine propulsion.
A horsedrawn horseybank could persuade me to change accounts! Good for the roses too.

I remember That Emily Chappell saying how her mother was a mobile librarian, driving the book bus round rural parts of Wales (though probably not Llandysul) and had been told to no longer visit certain places as those particular roads were assessed as too hazardous for a van full of mental incendiaries, but as her dedication to literature was greater than her regard for safety, she did anyway. I hadn't thought about there being mobile banks, but it makes perfect sense. Put Mrs Chappell in charge of one and they'll be giving out free money (but you might have to clean off the horse poo).

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #15730 on: 13 January, 2023, 11:52:27 am »
Mobile shops too.  I remember them from the Ladybird Book of Rose-Tinted Nostalgia.  And there’s a chap in Western Australia who operates a mobile butcher’s shop out of a gert big artic.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15731 on: 13 January, 2023, 12:18:49 pm »
I have memories of a mobile pub, but not whether it was actually real, or from an episode of Focus North or similar....

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #15732 on: 13 January, 2023, 12:46:53 pm »
Perhaps it only became mobile once you'd imbibed a minimum quantity of boozahol?

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #15733 on: 13 January, 2023, 12:53:15 pm »
I have memories of a mobile pub, but not whether it was actually real, or from an episode of Focus North or similar....

The home-brewed bike trailer I hauled to Denmark in 1993 was known as “The World-Renowned Portable Pub” :D

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #15734 on: 13 January, 2023, 03:38:55 pm »
Went to the branch to pay the cheque in. Got there at 10 to 2. Oh dear, thought I, there's going to be a peak lunch-hour queue. But no. There was one person ahead of me, which made one customer for each customer-facing staff. No wonder they're closing the branches when nobody uses them! (Yes there is a circularity there).

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #15735 on: 13 January, 2023, 05:21:09 pm »
As an aside, where are Large Marigold gloves available? Seems that size 8½ is 'Large' - no, I can't even begin to get into that. I need 10 at least and then it's chance if that'll fit.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15736 on: 13 January, 2023, 05:45:55 pm »

If you ask barakta nicely she might have a spare...

Paul

« Reply #15737 on: 13 January, 2023, 05:50:00 pm »
As an aside, where are Large Marigold gloves available? Seems that size 8½ is 'Large' - no, I can't even begin to get into that. I need 10 at least and then it's chance if that'll fit.
I can’t help you. The L suits my delicate digits.

Paul

« Reply #15738 on: 13 January, 2023, 05:51:20 pm »

Really?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15739 on: 13 January, 2023, 05:57:19 pm »

Really?

Her left arm isn't much good for scrubbing, so she tends to wear out the right ones first.  Not sure what the current inventory of the rubber gloves drawer is like thobut (I do occasionally sacrifice left gloves to really minging jobs in the interest of balance).

Paul

« Reply #15740 on: 13 January, 2023, 06:00:31 pm »
Might they work inside out? I mean adequately?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #15741 on: 13 January, 2023, 06:29:25 pm »
I’ve not found any rubber gloves that fit me, neither household or disposable or for that matter gardening gloves. We can’t be that much in a minority. I’ve found motorcycle, diving and even sailing gloves, but work gloves not a one.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15742 on: 14 January, 2023, 08:22:50 am »
Went downstairs this morning, fed the bloody parrot, put MrsT's herbal infusion on.  Either dust from the BP's seed or MrsT's vile concoction got up my nose and by the time I sat down at the table I had filled about 6 sheets of kitchen roll with snot.  By the time I got up & got out it was more like a dozen.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #15744 on: 16 January, 2023, 01:23:14 pm »
“Perhaps I should have worn some proper gloves while riding to Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles today!” whimpered Mr Larrington, clutching the radiator.

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant
« Reply #15745 on: 17 January, 2023, 04:31:35 pm »
Damned JAS screws. I’ve got posidrive and Philips screwdrivers aplenty, but no JAS. ok, Philips will fit at a pinch, but the cam out a bit easily.

Another grumble about the new TV, although this is an obscure one. The TV will pair with my Sony earbuds and will pipe sound into them in parallel with the TV speaker. Then the audio stops 2o seconds or so after the remote is used. If I pick up the remote and ‘wake it up’ (it’s a fancy smart remote with some touch sensitive bits!) the audio resumes in the earbuds. For 20 seconds. Rinse and repeat.

I’ve connected a pair of headphones via Bluetooth and they work ok. I can’t find my HA Bluetooth interface so can’t try that (although that’s a nightmare all on its own!). I’ve other earbuds and headphones to try, but the ones I wanted to use don’t work. And given how obscure the problem is I can’t find anything on the interwebs.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #15746 on: 17 January, 2023, 10:26:15 pm »
Mobile shops too.  I remember them from the Ladybird Book of Rose-Tinted Nostalgia.  And there’s a chap in Western Australia who operates a mobile butcher’s shop out of a gert big artic.

If you're on Twitter and want Ladybird nostalgia, follow @LBFlyawayhome...

rr

« Reply #15747 on: 17 January, 2023, 10:55:25 pm »
Plenty of mobile chip shops around.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 using Tapatalk

« Reply #15748 on: 18 January, 2023, 03:49:26 pm »
EDfuckingF unilaterally decided to cancel my smart meter appointment this afternoon, but had neglected to notify me.  This was the second appointment, because last time (October, I think), my wife waited in all afternoon and they never turned up.  Cocks.

« Reply #15749 on: 18 January, 2023, 04:48:34 pm »
Octopus cancelled the installation of our smart meter 3 times, with long intervals between.
Think the engineer didn't want the hassle of fitting it in a 3-phase set-up or travelling out into the sticks.
Finally done last week, man said it took twice as long as a "normal" installation.
As feared, the monitor thingy doesn't work in the house, so it's in the shed where it will never be looked at.

Correction : OH has just come in from lubing my bike and he has looked at it, but so far we don't have enough info to compare and make changes.