Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625268 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #16650 on: 27 September, 2023, 05:43:25 pm »
That twat Dan Wooton now too.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #16651 on: 27 September, 2023, 06:39:48 pm »
My 12-vole pump, motor-car tyres for the inflation of, appears to have ceased to extract voles from either of outlets in the motor-car unless the plug is wiggled in a limited and specific way.

Bah!
Cut off the last few cm of wire and wire a plug on the rest. If he existing plug is rewireable, it can be used again.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #16652 on: 27 September, 2023, 07:31:59 pm »
To be honest I was not even surprised at what Lozza Fox said about any woman, that kind of language and attitude is normal for those Fashy Culture Warrior types.

I'm more surprised GBFashNews even bothered to pretend they were shocked and took Fox off air (for now). Maybe the whole #MeToo and awareness of misogyny starting with that kind of language is trickling into "socially unacceptable EVEN for blatant Fash".

Language that bad and worse is normal background noise for women and other marginalised groups.

Today a 15 year old schoolgirl was murdered in London because she rejected a male's sexual advances.

I know that misogyny starts with comments and attitudes and yes, in some cases ends up with violence. I'm just surprised Fash News gives a shit, cos this is old old old news to me as a woman.

Men are scared of being rejected (laughed at); women are scared of being killed" sums up the vile and horrifying situation that poor young woman found herself in today and the entitlement of that young man came from a lot of somewheres.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16653 on: 28 September, 2023, 12:41:47 am »
I'm more surprised GBFashNews even bothered to pretend they were shocked and took Fox off air (for now). Maybe the whole #MeToo and awareness of misogyny starting with that kind of language is trickling into "socially unacceptable EVEN for blatant Fash".

Maybe they'd gone a whole week without doing something to get themselves in the - and I use the term entirely within context - proper news.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #16654 on: 28 September, 2023, 08:37:20 am »
They’ve (Gammon Broadcasting) also now suspended Wooten for the same incident. Has someone with a conscience been employed by mistake?
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #16655 on: 28 September, 2023, 12:45:40 pm »
Why won’t they let me sit in one of the front seats. It’s not fair.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #16656 on: 28 September, 2023, 01:48:31 pm »
Is this an aeroplane cockpit kind of front seat?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #16657 on: 28 September, 2023, 02:03:39 pm »
Is this an aeroplane cockpit kind of front seat?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Or upstairs at the front on the number nine bus?

(shades of Spine Milligna's interview when he tried to jon the RAF)
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #16658 on: 28 September, 2023, 02:28:57 pm »
An aeroplane. It’s only a little one though. The flight was an hour and ten minutes. I’m spending some more time waiting around now, this time for a bus. This is the main problem with domestic flights in the UK; lots of waiting around because lack of connections. 

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #16659 on: 29 September, 2023, 11:08:39 am »
Currently staying at the rural campus of Larrington Colij Oxfod.  Have single bed because the von Brandenburgs are occupying double.  Fell out of it in the middle of the night.  Hurt knuckles.  Woken by artisans building new greenhouse at 09:15.  Hate everybody.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #16660 on: 01 October, 2023, 07:55:22 am »
Beer Festivals.

They are shit, aren't they. It's a hard thing to say given that they are a celebration of beer, but they really are shit.  The beer is invariably badly kept. Casks need to be kept in 11-13⁰ temps, but they are racked at whatever the ambient temperature happens to be, which is only that low on a late autumn to early spring day, outside.  They need to be racked and allowed to settle, with a cellarperson controlling the carbonation, but they never are. So what you get is a pint of flat, warm beer.

Added to which, everyone is pissed and therefore annoying. The only way to cope with this is to drink copious quantities of flat, warm beer.

And why do the people who run beer festivals think that guests will be entertained by a bunch of paunchy 60-somethings in leather waistcoats and reading glasses balanced on their pates trying to play Thin Lizzy covers?

I'd rather stay at home and drink my own piss tbqhwy

« Reply #16661 on: 01 October, 2023, 09:29:05 am »
Beer Festivals.

And why do the people who run beer festivals think that guests will be entertained by a bunch of paunchy 60-somethings in leather waistcoats and reading glasses balanced on their pates trying to play Thin Lizzy covers?

Last one I went to had a bunch of paunchy, white, 60-somethings in stripy blazers playing Sweet Georgia Brown and Oh When the Saints. Where can I find these Thin Lizzy covers you speak of?

« Reply #16662 on: 01 October, 2023, 09:37:22 am »
Rail prices (again).
Three of us going to York for a couple of days in 6 weeks time. £400+ and you’ve no idea whether there will be engineering works. I like the train, and it’s maybe an hour faster (if there’s no engineering works), but that’s a lot of money (even compared to 45p a mile) and uncertainty.
Look again in a couple of weeks, I guess.

« Reply #16663 on: 01 October, 2023, 12:07:37 pm »
I don't like going on holiday.
I like being on holiday. It's the preparing, packing and getting there which I don't like.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #16664 on: 01 October, 2023, 02:26:34 pm »
Rail prices (again).
Three of us going to York for a couple of days in 6 weeks time. £400+ and you’ve no idea whether there will be engineering works. I like the train, and it’s maybe an hour faster (if there’s no engineering works), but that’s a lot of money (even compared to 45p a mile) and uncertainty.

Yeah, the train is generally cheaper than one person in a car (off peak) but once you get 3-4 people travelling together it can be pretty expensive in comparison. A "Two together" railcard would bring the price down by a fair bit, or a family railcard even more if one of your 3 is a child.

You should definitely know whether there will be engineering works these are planned in advance. Strikes less so, but you'll still know well ahead of time and get refunds if the train's not running (I've found mainline services still running on strike days very pleasant as a lot of people stay away and they're more likely to be punctual).

It doesn't look like there's any engineering works in 6 weeks, but I don't know where you're travelling from. Check here: https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/status-and-disruptions/
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #16665 on: 01 October, 2023, 02:38:37 pm »
Good point, fiends and family might be worth it.

The online journey planner is what flagged the uncertainty about engineering work. Which in the past has always meant “it’ll be broken, we just haven’t planned the alternative yet”. But I’m willing to be wrong.

As we still own a car, rather than car club, I can make the decision as late as I like. Though, a bit like buying unripe pears in the supermarket, rail prices can swap from “you shouldn’t book yet” to “you should have to booked more in advance for the best prices” overnight.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #16666 on: 01 October, 2023, 02:56:28 pm »
Rail prices (again).

The National Rail website gives engineering work within the next 12 weeks if you look in the right place.

« Reply #16667 on: 01 October, 2023, 02:58:00 pm »
Rail prices (again).

The National Rail website gives engineering work within the next 12 weeks if you look in the right place.

I was getting my times and prices from the national rail website!

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #16668 on: 01 October, 2023, 08:17:59 pm »
Travelling from the land of the Angles to the end of Cornwall, flying part of the journey made it quite a bit cheaper. The killer though, is the lack of planned connections, with the accumulated waiting time being greater than the actual travel img time. And the 3 busses at this end of the journey nearly made me ded! I might splurge on a taxi for thst part of the return journey.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16669 on: 02 October, 2023, 09:54:41 am »
Cardio-appointment notification popped up on my phone this weekend, for tomorrow mid-afternoon thus ****ing up the whole day.  No idea what agency sent it, it certainly wasn't any of my doing.  Called suspected culprit and they confirmed it - bloke wants to check the Afib bug they put in my chest in August. Bah. At least the café in the hospital foyer has good croissants and half-decent coffee.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #16670 on: 02 October, 2023, 10:11:45 am »
Beer Festivals.

They are shit, aren't they. It's a hard thing to say given that they are a celebration of beer, but they really are shit.  The beer is invariably badly kept. Casks need to be kept in 11-13⁰ temps, but they are racked at whatever the ambient temperature happens to be, which is only that low on a late autumn to early spring day, outside.  They need to be racked and allowed to settle, with a cellarperson controlling the carbonation, but they never are. So what you get is a pint of flat, warm beer.

Added to which, everyone is pissed and therefore annoying. The only way to cope with this is to drink copious quantities of flat, warm beer.

I've worked bar at a beer-festival-with-music 3 years in a row. 3-4hrs work per day got free festival entry.
First two years were ok. Beer racked days before to allow to settle. Cooling by soaked sacks. Beer was chosen to work from barrels; there were hand pumps for some beers, and cooling lines for light ales.
(Found myself in the embarrassing situation of people refusing to be served by the other person on the hand pumps - I had 2 years of pulling pints in a rural pub. He had no idea how to pull a pint and wasn't interested in learning).
Third year, we ran out of beer on second night of festival. Emergency delivery from brewery, at 1am I was hefting wooden barrels up onto the racks (back when I could do such a thing by myself). We tapped the barrels just before the tent opened; boy it was shit, still cloudy and shaken up. Punters still drunk so they didn't mind. Plus, they didn't have enough people to staff the tents, so we ended up working bar 8hrs a day.
By the end of the festival I was exhausted and fed up. Didn't want to do it again.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #16671 on: 02 October, 2023, 07:16:39 pm »
Pharmacy2u.com, not only have you disappeared your app from Shirley the Carer's phone but you’ve also disappeared it from Mr Google's Play Store, which helpfully says “Something went wrong” when you poke the link on their webshite.  The FruitCo app is still OK.  Sort it out u muppets  >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16672 on: 03 October, 2023, 12:58:19 pm »
PSA: Halloween, in as much as it's a thing in the UK, is at the *other* end of October.  HTH.  HAND.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16673 on: 03 October, 2023, 05:36:46 pm »
Fuxache! I've just noticed WhatsApp has (I don't know if just today or since when) a new thing called "Channels". Like they're trying to turn it into Youtube. And first on its list is Mark "such a nice guy" Zuckerberg.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16674 on: 04 October, 2023, 09:02:02 am »
PSA: Halloween, in as much as it's a thing in the UK, is at the *other* end of October.  HTH.  HAND.

Yeah. Though mainland Brits transferred the fun & games to 5th Nov after Jimmy the One failed to get blown up in 1605.  In Norn Iron they didn't see the point of celebrating a Cafflick surviving assassination so we still had the bonfires etc. on the right day.

Always found it amusing that Halloween went to the US with the Irish, and the USAnians made it into a product then exported it back to the UK.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight