Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625410 times)

sam

Not enough energy for a rant
« Reply #17200 on: 20 February, 2024, 03:52:21 am »
Love my new power bank.

Hate the fact that I need it.

This is therefore an Apple grumble.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #17201 on: 24 February, 2024, 07:01:46 pm »
I'd just finished washing the ground floor windows, and was about to hang the washing up, when the tradesperson in the next door garden started cutting up paving slabs, sending dust everywhere. Bastids.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #17202 on: 26 February, 2024, 07:05:53 pm »
Biggles and mate at night again.
Definitely a thing now.

Eta.  Ooh, round again for a third time.
How much is this costing me?

Or are they USAian?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #17203 on: 28 February, 2024, 09:07:56 am »
Car dealers AND Brexit  >:(.   I bought a new car, but it came without a spare so I asked for one to be supplied by the dealer.  Then I discovered the boot underfloor cover I have doesn't fit over the spare, so asked them to source that, even gave them the part number  ::-)  They don't want to do it in case it's wrong and I get stuck with it  >:( >:(.  Googling I found a used one in NL. Of course "since Brexit shipping to the UK is no longer possible"  >:( >:( >:(
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #17204 on: 28 February, 2024, 09:52:02 am »
Car dealers AND Brexit  >:(.   I bought a new car, but it came without a spare so I asked for one to be supplied by the dealer.  Then I discovered the boot underfloor cover I have doesn't fit over the spare, so asked them to source that, even gave them the part number  ::-)  They don't want to do it in case it's wrong and I get stuck with it  >:( >:(.  Googling I found a used one in NL. Of course "since Brexit shipping to the UK is no longer possible"  >:( >:( >:(
There are parcel amalgamation services (probably not quite the right term), which accept your parcel in the seller's country and then ship it on to you in bulk, so reducing the shipping (and hopefully import duty) costs. At least, there are for US to UK, so you could have a look for something similar in NL.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #17205 on: 28 February, 2024, 02:10:10 pm »
I bought a used gear shift box and cables etc for a Micra from a breaker in Latvia via ebay in January. Arrived in 5 days, no brexshit hassle whatsoever, so it can be done!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #17206 on: 28 February, 2024, 06:15:21 pm »
“Raining Datsun cogs” joak goes here ==>
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #17207 on: 28 February, 2024, 09:59:21 pm »
Bloody February has been a dreadful month. 
But wait. They've awarded us an extra day.
Bugger.   :(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #17208 on: 28 February, 2024, 11:27:03 pm »
Still, at least there’s a new release from bonkers space rockers Psychic Lemon coming tomorrow to cheer us up.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #17209 on: 29 February, 2024, 12:18:26 am »

It's been ruddy good for me, long may it continue  ;D

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #17210 on: 29 February, 2024, 12:19:39 am »
Still, at least there’s a new release from bonkers space rockers Psychic Lemon coming tomorrow to cheer us up.

Ta, I'd missed that :thumbsup:

« Reply #17211 on: 29 February, 2024, 11:24:10 am »
Used AirBnB quite a bit, travelling down to work. Stayed in multiple places in Cambridge, ranging from multi-room boarding houses full of builders, to someone's spare bedroom.

Trying to book now; what has happened? Very few places offering kitchen access. Prices have skyrocketed (not surprising I guess).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17212 on: 29 February, 2024, 11:49:16 am »
I may have previously ranted about randoms appearing at the door with suspicious looking Council ID, asking to inspect the property for some licence thing we'd never heard of, and which our lettings agency had never heard of either, so agreed we were right to turn them away as a probable scam.

Anyway, after much back and forth, it turns out that they are in fact legit - it's an experimental thing for private lettings in specific wards - and they had been failing to communicate with our agency (seemingly because they were emailing someone who's off sick with a non-functional out-of-office message).  Anyway, we'd agreed that they were coming to inspect between 9 and 11 this morning - barakta (who is living in the dining room, because hip surgery) got up and dressed and toileted specifically in order to be ready.

And they haven't turned up.  (There's is a slight possibility that they may have turned up and knocked ineffectually rather than using the doorbell as they managed the last two times.)  This is annoying, as we've wasted the morning freezing our arses off with windows open in anticipation of COVID-spewing strangers, and we're presumably going to have to go through it again at some point.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17213 on: 29 February, 2024, 12:12:58 pm »
Update: Email from the agency saying they came at 9:20 and can they have a phone call.   :facepalm: :facepalm:

« Reply #17214 on: 29 February, 2024, 12:17:59 pm »

The leap day has broken our computer system at work, FFS. It was plenty busy enough without this.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17215 on: 29 February, 2024, 12:42:31 pm »
The leap day has broken our computer system at work, FFS. It was plenty busy enough without this.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #17216 on: 29 February, 2024, 01:51:22 pm »
Update: Email from the agency saying they came at 9:20 and can they have a phone call.   :facepalm: :facepalm:

I chuntered at the agency about how I'm not well (true, I feel distinctly mediocre and worsened by TooEarly getting up TM).

Agency has managed to sort out 3-4pm today for another council visit attempt and the agency lady has phoned CouncilFuckwit and repeatedly stressed "Use The Doorbell".

Council Fuckwit's excuse for not using doorbell is we might not be expecting or wanting them... Which is stupid and unhelpful.

« Reply #17217 on: 29 February, 2024, 02:05:10 pm »
I'm struggling to parse that.

So they didn't ring the doorbell to let you know they were there, because you might not be expecting them to be there?
So what was the point in turning up at all if they weren't going to tell you they'd arrived?
It's almost as though they are ex-home delivery people who just want to drop off a "sorry you weren't in" card rather than leaving your parcel.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #17218 on: 29 February, 2024, 02:57:44 pm »
It's almost as though they are ex-home delivery people who just want to drop off a "sorry you weren't in" card rather than leaving your parcel.
UPS: Unannounced Property 'Spections.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #17219 on: 02 March, 2024, 02:46:33 pm »
I don't know what I've done to deserve this; LinkedIn has sent me a recommendation to follow... Penny Mordaunt.  :o

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #17220 on: 02 March, 2024, 05:03:00 pm »
I don't know what I've done to deserve this; LinkedIn has sent me a recommendation to follow... Penny Mordaunt.  :o
Browsing history -> women of a certain age -> women of a certain age wearing swimming costume/ carrying a sword.
 At least that's how they got me my friend.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #17221 on: 03 March, 2024, 11:06:18 am »
Boots Optiquacks.  I know that people who miss appointments are a pain,  but did you have to call me at 09:10 on Sunday to remind me I've a check up tomorrow ? 
Yours grumpily etc.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17222 on: 03 March, 2024, 12:55:45 pm »
Boots Optiquacks.  I know that people who miss appointments are a pain,  but did you have to call me at 09:10 on Sunday to remind me I've a check up tomorrow ? 
Yours grumpily etc.

Turn up late and tell them you overslept.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #17223 on: 03 March, 2024, 03:15:10 pm »
I’ve got to change our mobile phone service provider because Plusnet have decided there’s not enough money in it.

Of all the utilities to need to change, I think that mobile phone contracts are probably the most needlessly complicated. 
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #17224 on: 03 March, 2024, 06:36:42 pm »
Quote from: Beardy
I’ve got to change our mobile phone service provider
Giff Gaff is OK.  They do cheap, £6 or thereabouts, rolling monthly renewals (Goody Bags or some such *stupid* name) which are fine for near unlimited calls/texts and a moderate amount of 'phone based browsing. 

Quote from: Beardy
Of all the utilities to need to change, I think that mobile phone contracts are probably the most needlessly complicated.
Dunno, broadband can be gear-grindingly painful too.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου