Author Topic: Floyd calls it a day  (Read 5842 times)

fuzzy

Floyd calls it a day
« on: 18 January, 2011, 03:53:44 pm »
He has announced his retirement with immediate effect

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Floyd calls it a day
« Reply #1 on: 18 January, 2011, 05:21:49 pm »
Well, it was about time.  ::-)

Touring with 'The Wall' as a stage show could only ever have a finite life really.  ;D
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
« Reply #2 on: 18 January, 2011, 09:28:30 pm »
Yeah, bye then, mate! :thumbsup:
Old enough to know better!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3 on: 18 January, 2011, 09:44:11 pm »
< T U M B L E W E E D >
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 19 January, 2011, 09:48:50 am »
Another junkie gone.
Getting there...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #5 on: 19 January, 2011, 09:59:10 am »
The announcement was timed to coincide with the start of Lance Armstrongs last race, the Tour Down Under, which is showing on Sky Sports

mondobongo

« Reply #6 on: 19 January, 2011, 10:03:03 am »
With many still remaining.

Its a sad fact but if he had just taken his ban served his time he would be back in the fold by now. As it was his gob in the soup was just too big for both the teams and the organisers.

Yes he was very wrong in what he did initially, but it took balls to come out and tell the truth even though it was way down the line. His comments in the last paragraph of the ESPN report are concerning.

Yes we may have a new generation of riders now with more coming through but the 'Old Guard' are still there actively involved.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 19 January, 2011, 10:12:11 am »
New guard or old, it makes no difference. The advantage of PEDs is too great to ignore. How many times have we listened to people talking about a new clean generation of racing cyclists? Such fine upstanding racers like Kohl and Ricco? The doping and the system that encourages it is endemic, most visibly in cycling but certainly in other sports also.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #8 on: 19 January, 2011, 10:28:54 am »
Yes we may have a new generation of riders now with more coming through but the 'Old Guard' are still there actively involved.

Is Contador the "old guard" or ....?

In recent years there has been a double standard for riders.  The system is "we all know you dope but don't get caught"  so Roberto Heras won the Velta, but then he didn't.  Rassmusen was close to winning the TdF but then he didn't.  Floyd won the TdF but then didn't.  Contador won the TdF but then didn't.

I recently read Laurent Fignon's autobiog.  It's a cracking read.  But it's a great explaination of the current state of doping.  In Fignon's day they all doped with amphetamines and similar.  Fignon describes a particular day in the mountains at the end of his career when most of the peloton were on EPO.  Riders of his own generation who had never been able to stick with him in the high mountains were keeping up almost without breaking a sweat.  Fignon didn't take EPO as he didn't like the way it gives one a headache.  So the riders of Fignons generation had a double standard with stimulants like amphetamines, which were seen as almost a bit of fun and EPO which was cheating.  This has lead to the drugs vs detection arms race of today.  Riders have never ridden clean in the past.  But the drugs have got too good and that's why we have the situation we have today

The grand tours are decided in the drug testing labs now.  Rather than televising the mountain stages they should just show the drug labs, in a CSI style.  Big money pro cycling is not a sport.  In a sport the winner crosses the line and there is a moment of victory.  In pro cycling the winner crosses the line, a few days/weeks later he is banned, there is a legal challenge and months later the next guy down gets the prize money.  The TdF is no longer the great spectacle. It's a qualifying session for entry to the great lab race.

So don't be too hard on Landis.  He is what he is.

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #9 on: 19 January, 2011, 10:48:05 am »
don't be too hard on Landis.  He is what he is.

Landis denied everything, then went as far as to solicit donations from his fans to assist with his defence, all the time protesting his innocence.

Eventually, he admits all.  I wonder if the contributors ever got repaid?
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10 on: 19 January, 2011, 11:06:26 am »
Landis is virtually broke. If it makes you happier, consider contributing to Landis' defence a "stupid tax" and be happy that people's eyes are now being opened to the scale of the problem.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #11 on: 21 January, 2011, 10:42:10 am »
Interesting about the attitude difference between stimulants and weird medical drugs.  After all, there's a clear gradient between coffee and a mint, ephedrine and smelling-salts, amphetamine and coke.  Whee!  But stuff that turns your blood to jam?  Eww.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #12 on: 31 January, 2011, 11:56:16 am »
And the old style stimulants (speed ect) don't actually make you physically a better rider they just make you think you are so you keep going or try harder when without them you might have given up or slowed down - the drugs were just messing with the riders heads.. The new stuff actually does make you a better rider. Big difference really.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13 on: 31 January, 2011, 02:54:03 pm »
Good point, pcolbeck.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #14 on: 31 January, 2011, 03:10:30 pm »
And the old style stimulants (speed ect) don't actually make you physically a better rider they just make you think you are so you keep going or try harder when without them you might have given up or slowed down - the drugs were just messing with the riders heads.. The new stuff actually does make you a better rider. Big difference really.
Tommy Simpson.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #15 on: 31 January, 2011, 05:59:14 pm »
Tommy Simpson.

Exactly.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #16 on: 31 January, 2011, 10:15:46 pm »
That great documentary about Tom Simpson was on BBC4 last night. Gripping and tragic. 

LEE

« Reply #17 on: 02 February, 2011, 11:23:16 am »
Just read part of the Landis interview on Bike Radar.

What a tosser!

"I've tried to explain this a hundred times," he is reported as saying in the Times. "But it always comes out sounding like I am either blaming someone or trying to justify what I did. I don't point fingers. Nobody forced me to do what I did."

"If I had any reason to believe that the people running the sport really wanted to fix it, I may have said, 'If I wait long enough, I'll have my chance to win without doping.' But there was no scenario in my mind where I was ever going to get the chance to race the Tour de France and win clean. There was no good scenario. It was either cheat or get cheated. And I'd rather not be the guy getting cheated."

Yes Floyd, it does always come out like you are blaming someone else, I wonder why that could be.

It never seems to cross his mind that coming 2nd (or last for that matter) whilst riding clean is an acceptable option.

By saying what he says, he implies every single rider on the tour is cheating, cheating against HIM.  He's so against people cheating like that that he's damn well going to do something about it...cheat.

He's a cheat, he got caught. End of.  He's also blaming the same people who caught him for not trying to catch drug cheats in the sport.

Tosser.  The sooner he stops whining and fecks off into obscurity the better.

« Reply #18 on: 02 February, 2011, 11:29:26 am »
Perhaps you should have read the whole interview.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #19 on: 02 February, 2011, 11:40:15 am »
If you're a professional competitor, then coming last is surely not a viable option.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LEE

« Reply #20 on: 02 February, 2011, 06:28:17 pm »
Perhaps you should have read the whole interview.

I don't want to waste any more of my life listening to him really.

« Reply #21 on: 02 February, 2011, 07:00:11 pm »
I really think you should, whatever you think of him...it's quite enlightening.

Complete transcript: Paul Kimmage’s interview of Floyd Landis

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #22 on: 03 February, 2011, 12:02:15 am »
Floyds defence did have a point in that it put the wind up a lab who were rather sloppier than they should have been. They caught him more by luck than judgement and the data was not sound.

But we can't have doping labs look bad, that would never do.

Lloyd did doping detection a great service by busting it all into the open.

Apart from that, he is a mixed up individual.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #23 on: 03 February, 2011, 11:52:35 am »
Thanks UK - well worth spending time on the Floyd transcript.  He's logical, intelligent, articulate, takes full responsibility for his own actions and has been through hell a very difficult time.  And Kimmage comes out of it well too - asks the right questions and doesn't accept crap.
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

« Reply #24 on: 03 February, 2011, 05:27:43 pm »
Kimmage said that Landis would have to be a psychopath in order to come up with the level of detail he has, were it not true.  I'm inclined to agree, although he has had 4 years to hone his story.

I think Landis comes across as an ethically simple creature, he admits lying, but when he details the thought processes he went through at the time, and in particular having to face a press interview before he had taken the decision whether to lie or not, it accords with my feelings of his performance at the time.

I don't think he is lying about Armstrong getting a helping hand from the UCI