Author Topic: Dead bee in my dinner  (Read 1412 times)

simonp

Dead bee in my dinner
« on: 31 May, 2009, 10:06:48 pm »
So I'm making tinner - tuna tomato pasta sauce - and a bee comes in through the open window.  This is a bit distracting since it's buzzing around the kitchen, and it seems attracted to the ceiling light, so I turn the lights off in the hope it'll be attracted to the window.  Once that's done, I lose sight of it and hope it's gone, so I turn the lights back on, and return to making dinner.

Uhoh, there's something black in the sauce, so I fish one bee out.   ::-)

Then I start to wonder if it'll be safe to eat the food.  So I google and can't find anything relevant, and the pasta's ready now.  I have another look at the dead bee, and its sting appears to be missing, so probably floating in my dinner.  I decide I'd rather not carry out an experiment in whether my throat swells up when I eat food containing a bee sting, so put some pesto on the pasta instead, along with the broccoli I was making to have on the side, and some cheese.

Wondering if I was being overly cautious.  I've no known allergy to bee stings, though I have had reactions to insect bites with localised swelling and itching.  Should I have just eaten it?

Re: Dead bee in my dinner
« Reply #1 on: 01 June, 2009, 01:04:27 pm »
Yes.

« Reply #2 on: 01 June, 2009, 01:07:59 pm »
Protein.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #3 on: 01 June, 2009, 01:23:21 pm »
If it was a drone (male bee) then it wouldn't have had a sting anyway.

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #4 on: 01 June, 2009, 06:38:39 pm »
mmmmm stripey  :P

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #5 on: 02 June, 2009, 11:00:45 am »
If your dinner killed the bee I'd consider a take-away!
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #6 on: 02 June, 2009, 11:05:21 am »
"Please, sir, may I have some more?"

Ah, You mean Mr. Bumble.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Tiger

« Reply #7 on: 02 June, 2009, 04:15:25 pm »
If a bee flies into the house and spends more than a couple of minutes - it may well run down its fuel so badly that it then runs out en route home and dies. The thing to do is take the tired bee and offer it some honey on a spoon. It is amazing to watch a run-down bee extend its nose-feeder and suck up the stuff - then a moment later whizz off with engines firing on all cylinders. Brill.