Author Topic: Will we ever need one of these?  (Read 2179 times)

LEE

Re: Will we ever need one of these?
« Reply #1 on: 08 September, 2009, 12:06:17 am »
Wow that's cool.  I've never seen inside Liz & Charlotte's Seekrit Bunker before

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 08 September, 2009, 09:04:10 am »
I think that's our dining room :-\
Getting there...

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #3 on: 08 September, 2009, 10:38:36 am »
It's the future!

« Reply #4 on: 08 September, 2009, 10:45:22 am »
Similar number of bikes (although nowhere near as neat, nor undercover) at Cambridge station:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/58/Cambridge_Railway_Station_Bicycle_Racks.jpg

That's about a tenth of it, they've extended it to the back/right of that photo.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #5 on: 08 September, 2009, 10:47:47 am »
*sigh*

How the other half live... over in the civilised world.

It's wonderful to see, and then instantly depressing when you realise just how far removed the UK is from that sort of approach.

« Reply #6 on: 08 September, 2009, 01:26:29 pm »
Try Japan -

Kasai station - 9400 bikes in an automated jitensha parking tower.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wE4fvwTBtno&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/wE4fvwTBtno&rel=1</a>
From the bit at the end, I think it's 100 yen a go, & 1800 yen for  . . .  ? Probably a monthly ticket.

The "response" video is a jazzed-up one, but shows someone cycling to & from it, as well as depositing his bike, so you get a view of cycling in a Tokyo inner suburb.

Note the parking problems they have. Hordes of bikes in the street, some with "This bike will be removed" tags.

And a smaller, underground one - Cool Japan: Fancy underground robot bike parking in Tokyo &mdash; Autoblog Green

This is more traditional -

The sign says 1500 yen. Probably per month. Note the direction arrows. One way cycling in this jitensha park.

The station in the suburb where Mrs Bs mother lives has a few floors of old-style wheel your bike in parking.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #7 on: 08 September, 2009, 01:45:57 pm »
Love the way that every single one of those bikes had mudguards, most had a carrier.  Very different to the mtb-shaped BSO's at Cambridge.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #8 on: 08 September, 2009, 01:52:32 pm »

Kasai station - 9400 bikes in an automated jitensha parking tower.
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

I can just see the faces of a peloton of riders from here, with their trikes, bents, and tandems, (or combinations there of) not to mention expensive carbon forks turning up at that facility!
Utterly fascinating to watch though.

« Reply #9 on: 08 September, 2009, 05:12:12 pm »

His camera doesn't stop through lack of memory...
It just couldn't cope anymore with the awesomeness of it all.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 08 September, 2009, 08:29:52 pm »
Best one I know in this country is On Your Bike's London Bridge Bike Park.  400 spaces.  Nowhere near enough, but a start.
Getting there...