Author Topic: Repairing cufflinks ?  (Read 1184 times)

Repairing cufflinks ?
« on: 23 September, 2019, 10:59:55 am »
I've got a pair of cheapish cufflinks that were a present a couple of years ago.  The toggle on one of them has come away from the visible outer part.    They are not worth taking to a jeweller to fix but I'd rather not chuck them away if they can be rescued.

Is there a simple & cheap way to fix this ?  Would a basic soldering iron do the job & would the resultant join be strong enough?     
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
Re: Repairing cufflinks ?
« Reply #1 on: 24 September, 2019, 05:27:58 pm »
Since nobody else has bitten, do you know what they're made of?  You might get away with soft soldering on some metals, but if they're silver or gold, I'd suggest proper hard soldering them.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #2 on: 24 September, 2019, 05:50:07 pm »
Cheap "pot metal" at a guess. Nothing precious.     Would metal epoxy do the job ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #3 on: 24 September, 2019, 06:06:05 pm »
Cheap "pot metal" at a guess. Nothing precious.     Would metal epoxy do the job ?
Probably.  I've also used cores from copper Twin & Earth wiring to make rivets for costume bracelets before now, any chance you could rivet it?
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #4 on: 24 September, 2019, 08:02:38 pm »
Add Araldite to some form of mechanical joint.

« Reply #5 on: 12 October, 2019, 11:42:31 am »
Bit late, but I've soldered 2 or 3 pairs over the years after the display plate became detached from the thing that goes through the button-holes.

Needs a bit of persistant heat but holds fine with electrical solder. And then you want to check what it's done to the front, it might have melted or burnt something. Worst case you still don't have a pair of cufflinks, so try anyway.
Cruzbike V2k, S40