Author Topic: Politically Incorrectly-Named Foreign Foods  (Read 7202 times)

Politically Incorrectly-Named Foreign Foods
« on: 07 January, 2018, 07:00:58 pm »
When I lived in Sweden in the early '90s, I was amazed to discover that (where I lived in the north, at least) what I called snowballs (chocolate-covered marshmallow with coconut chippings in the chocolate) were widely known as negerbollar - negroes' balls. No one batted an eyelid and thought I was being strange when I expressed my amazement. Apparently the term has been dying out - thankfully - but I was wondering if there are any other similarly inappropriately named foods...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Politically Incorrectly-Named Foreign Foods
« Reply #1 on: 07 January, 2018, 08:06:53 pm »
White mallow/meringue covered in dark chocolate confections are known as
(click to show/hide)
in Denmark...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 07 January, 2018, 08:13:39 pm »
Cycki murzynki = Black woman's tits. (There's an ongoing controversy over just how offensive or not the word murzyn is – actually originates from Spanish I think and is analogous to Moor.)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3 on: 07 January, 2018, 10:22:16 pm »
Cycki murzynki = Black woman's tits. (There's an ongoing controversy over just how offensive or not the word murzyn is – actually originates from Spanish I think and is analogous to Moor.)

I'm 99.99% sure that is correct.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 08 January, 2018, 08:20:20 am »
Not food, but my Inlaw Maw once asked for a spool of n***er-brown thread in a Kampala shop.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5 on: 08 January, 2018, 03:54:53 pm »
I can't find the link now cos search engine (and cos I can't remember the spelling) but some of the above really need to served together with Julian's special queynte cakes.

« Reply #6 on: 09 January, 2018, 07:53:10 am »
The chocolate-coated marshmallow confections seem to have similar names all across Germanic Europe - negerzoenen in NL (and presumably in Flanders?), Negerküsse in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland. 'Neger' is closer to 'negro' than to the other epithet, so not quite as offensive; but enough that most or all of the manufacturers have changed the name (to 'Shokoküsse' or the like.) One alternative name is 'Mohrenkopf/moorkop', which means 'Moor's head's; again, I'm not sure whether they are still manufactured as such.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 09 January, 2018, 01:49:15 pm »
Not racial, but almost certainly offensive to a lot of people, one can pay to get the benefit of a nun's fart in France.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 09 January, 2018, 01:50:17 pm »
Slightly OT, I have often wondered why Arnie's surname did not raise more eyebrows in liberal California...
Getting there...

« Reply #9 on: 09 January, 2018, 02:12:52 pm »
<off-topic>

No, the etymology of Schwarzenegger has SFA to do with the n-word.

https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/etymology-of-the-name-schwarzenegger.2153532/

HTH.

PS - any state that elects to the House of Representatives people like Devin Nunes, Dana Rohrabacher and Darrell Issa can't be said to be completely liberal.

</off-topic>
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 09 January, 2018, 03:06:05 pm »
Oh, I am aware the derivation is innocent, but the product is...questionable.

And, yeah, I should have used quotation marks around 'liberal'.  Liberal for Americania...
Getting there...

« Reply #11 on: 11 January, 2018, 07:10:18 pm »
In Hungary they have Negro cough sweets, which are black in colour. Research seems to rule out a dodgy connection; the product name being the surname of the recipe's creator.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #12 on: 26 January, 2018, 10:13:21 am »

I'm 99.99% sure that is correct.
I was watching an old (1983) Polish TV series last weekend, in one scene an engineer was practising English to prepare for hosting a Moroccan trade delegate. His wife criticised his accent. "That doesn't matter," he replied, "the Moroccans all have dreadful accents."
"Yes," she said, "but you sound like a murzyn."
I'm not sure whether this was simply 1980s Soviet Bloc casual racism or something cleverer and more deliberate (probably the latter).

Ob food: They cooked the Moroccan a North African recipe they found, but they didn't have lamb or couscous so had to use beef and barley instead. He liked it anyway (and of course spoke fluent Polish).

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #13 on: 27 January, 2018, 06:54:51 am »
We always buy mints in france called 'Vag Fresh'. Never fails to amuse.
I hope they are mints, anyway.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #14 on: 27 January, 2018, 08:30:27 am »
Negerboller and negerkys were also sold in Denmark.

hillbilly

« Reply #15 on: 27 January, 2018, 10:09:25 am »
It’s not just foreign foods.

Minstrels are a tad racist. Unless you think naming a brown sweet after blacked up music hall performers is culturally appropriate.

« Reply #16 on: 27 January, 2018, 10:29:42 am »
Yeah, I went into a castle the other week, and THEY had a bloody minstrel's gallery. Bloody racists.

hillbilly

« Reply #17 on: 27 January, 2018, 05:31:56 pm »
In the UK we also have Black Jack aniseed chews.  For some reason they changed the wrappers and dropped the s since I was in short trousers.

« Reply #18 on: 27 January, 2018, 10:22:14 pm »
When I went to school black Jack's were 8 for 1p  :)
the slower you go the more you see

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #19 on: 27 January, 2018, 10:56:11 pm »
When I went to school black Jack's were 8 for 1p  :)

They were 8 for 1d when I went to school...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #20 on: 28 January, 2018, 08:59:14 am »
;D Took the words out of my fingers.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #21 on: 28 January, 2018, 11:40:56 am »

Minstrels are a tad racist. Unless you think naming a brown sweet after blacked up music hall performers is culturally appropriate.

You know here were minstrels in the middle ages don't you? They dressed colourfully -often in harlequin, or bright colours - Will Scarlet for example, who fought bravely alongside Robin hood with his lute and bow.
Have you looked in a packet of minstrels - they are all colours - like minstrels clothes!
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #22 on: 28 January, 2018, 11:53:59 am »
Have you looked in a packet of minstrels - they are all colours

Have you?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #23 on: 28 January, 2018, 11:54:39 am »

You know here were minstrels in the middle ages don't you? They dressed colourfully -often in harlequin, or bright colours - Will Scarlet for example, who fought bravely alongside Robin hood with his lute and bow.
Have you looked in a packet of minstrels - they are all colours - like minstrels clothes!

Sure you're not confusing them with Skittles or Smarties or M&Ms?

Minstrels are chocolate both inside and out.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #24 on: 28 January, 2018, 12:12:28 pm »
I have not partaken of these sweeties of late. They were mostly called Treets when I were a lass.

My recollection is that Minstrels are large. dark brown discoid sugar shells with a milk chocolate centre. I think the shell has a white layer.

M&Ms are smaller and have gaudy primary colours.