Author Topic: Photography tips  (Read 3935 times)

LE

Photography tips
« on: 16 November, 2008, 09:56:14 am »
I would like to learn how to take better photo.  I'd appreciate some tips on how to take a reasonable shot before I start posting pictures on the critique thread.

Thanks in advance, Elleigh

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Photography tips
« Reply #1 on: 16 November, 2008, 11:46:23 am »
You could have a look here  ;D ;D

Doh! I messed up the link.

smacks head with a wet fish.  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

Rob S

« Reply #2 on: 16 November, 2008, 11:47:16 am »
Hopefully the critique thread is already giving you tips on how to take reasonable shots.

What kind of subjects are you looking to capture?

LEE

« Reply #3 on: 16 November, 2008, 12:18:15 pm »
Here's a tip, or maybe more of a consideration.

The human brain is quite an amazing 'Zoom Lens' and 'Filter' and you may need to teach it to stop zooming/cropping/filtering quite so much and tell you what is really there.

OK, what do I mean?

Example.  My mother will see a squirrel at the bottom of the garden and take a picture of it.  The resultant photo is of her garden ("what Squirrel Mother?").  She will point to a little dot in the photo and proclaim "There it is, but it seemed much closer when I took the photo".  If she'd actually looked at the LCD/viewfinder as a finished photo, rather than focussing on the squirrel, she's have noticed that the squirrel was a tiny spec in the whole frame as well.  She actually 'saw' the squirrel in extreme close-up, her brain zoomed in and filtered out the expanse of garden.

I think most snaps are ruined by this ability of the brain to zoom in on a subject at the expense of the actual resultant composition.

So, when you look through the viewfinder, don't just stare at the subject, try and mentally step back and see the whole image, corner to corner, ask yourself "Is this really going to look OK". Imagine the LCD as a large canvas on your wall, what do you REALLY see now?

Other examples of this are sign-posts sticking out of people's heads that you only notice afterwards, cluttered and messy backgrounds that were transparent at the time.

Basically, try to see the finished image as a whole.

Did that make sense?

PS.  I am guilty of all the above all the time (that's why I end up cropping everything afterwards).

It

« Reply #4 on: 16 November, 2008, 12:43:54 pm »

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 16 November, 2008, 03:29:51 pm »
The advice in one book I read was to
Isolate and Emphasise
the subject.

You can isolate your subject by:

Getting close up
Zooming in
Cropping
Arranging your focussing so only the main subject is sharp and anything in the foreground/background is out of focus.

Emphasise by arranging the lighting etc.

Look around you; what do you see? What might make a striking image?

I am sitting in my kitchen. There are unwashed mugs, an old tin a fruit bowl and other clutter within sight.

What might make an interesting image? Dirty mugs? NO! Old bean tin? Probably not.
Fruit bowl? Maybe, the banana looks delicious! How can I get a good, tempting image? Get rid of surrounding junk - that kitchen slops recycling bin is not attractive.! Arranage the light best to bring out the fruits' colour and texture.
Think about where there will be shadows; these will look darker on photos than they will appear to you.
What's in the foreground?
What's in the background?
Do I wish to show any of these to give my picture context, or do I want a clean image?

Go through this sort of process before you get your camera out so you start thinking like photographer...

Rob S

« Reply #6 on: 16 November, 2008, 03:48:13 pm »
Based on the number of pet pics I'm shown I would say get down to your pet's level and take the pic...don't stand 6 foot from it and then shoot downwards. 

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 16 November, 2008, 03:57:00 pm »
Based on the number of pet pics I'm shown I would say get down to your pet's level and take the pic...don't stand 6 foot from it and then shoot downwards. 

Same advice applies to small children. Make sure you see 'eye-to-eye'.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8 on: 16 November, 2008, 05:38:04 pm »
LEE, that's an excellent way of putting it.

However I can't help noticing that you have a tree coming out your head!  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

LE

« Reply #9 on: 17 November, 2008, 08:06:53 am »
Thank you. I shall try and take some of this on board.

I'm planning on trying taking pictures of my cats at their level and see how they turn out.

My other problem is, atm I have a point and shoot which I assume I have no control over focus and exposure. A lot of my pictures come out blurred. Some is to do with camera shake. So I have taken to sqeezing the camera. However when I try to take 'close up' photos, often the fore ground is blurred and background is in focus. Not a look I really desire. What am I doing wrong?

« Reply #10 on: 17 November, 2008, 08:13:32 am »
is the camera focussing on the wrong thing?

some have a little indicator in the screen that show where the camera is going to focus.  Some decide for you without telling.  Some vary depending on which mode you're in.  Have a play, manual in one hand and camera in the other.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #11 on: 17 November, 2008, 09:07:43 am »
Thank you. I shall try and take some of this on board.

I'm planning on trying taking pictures of my cats at their level and see how they turn out.

My other problem is, atm I have a point and shoot which I assume I have no control over focus and exposure. A lot of my pictures come out blurred. Some is to do with camera shake. So I have taken to sqeezing the camera. However when I try to take 'close up' photos, often the fore ground is blurred and background is in focus. Not a look I really desire. What am I doing wrong?

Which model of camera do you have? We can then advise on settings etc.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #12 on: 17 November, 2008, 09:18:27 am »
Many small point and shoot type cameras allow you to lock the focus by depressing the shutter button half way until it locks focus on something. Then you hold your finger in that position, recompose the frame and fully depress the shutter button to take your photo.

And getting down to their level definitely works with pet photos. If I may be so bold...

a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #13 on: 17 November, 2008, 09:50:06 am »
:)

almost identical to one of mine!

LEE

« Reply #14 on: 17 November, 2008, 10:02:48 am »
LEE, that's an excellent way of putting it.

However I can't help noticing that you have a tree coming out your head!  ;D

So that means I didn't take the photo   O:-)

« Reply #15 on: 17 November, 2008, 11:01:31 am »
LE – I’ve found Luminous Landscape has some good articles, here’s one on compostion...
Composition 2

The five main points are mentioned are...
1. Rule of thirds
2. The Golden Rule
3. Leading Lines
4. Perspective
5. Framing the Photograph

I’ve found possibly the most useful to get ‘right’, or just bear in mind, is the first.  Basically dividing the view into thirds vertically and horizontally.  The horizon would best go one third, or two thirds line up across the frame, and a point of interest, such as person in a red jacket in a landscape, might go best on the intersection of the third lines.  So try not to divide the photo into two, e.g. with a horizon cutting through the middle of the photo.  Sometimes of course the sky is the ‘star’ and merits the 2/3rds portion to itself.

As  LEE said try to see the image as a whole.  Personally I try to get the best finished photo at the time, more so with landscapes, but often post cropping really helps.  I also take a few (sometimes loads ;)) angles or variations if some scene particularly inspires – one of the great benefits about digital.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #16 on: 17 November, 2008, 04:23:24 pm »

Oh eck - does face detection work upside down?
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll