Author Topic: Camarthenshire Snapper  (Read 3220 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Camarthenshire Snapper
« on: 10 April, 2016, 11:59:34 am »
Anybody done this http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-810/ before or know anything about the route?   I am being 'persuaded' to spend that weekend in Swansea visiting the in-laws and am contemplating this as a means of avoiding an entire day making polite conversation.  However, I've hardly ridden since the autumn so am feeling more than a little bit rusty.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

alfapete

• Oh dear
Re: Camarthenshire Snapper
« Reply #1 on: 10 April, 2016, 12:26:23 pm »
I rode it last year and absolutely loved it, but it doesn't fit in this year. There is a fair bit of climbing but nothing too ridiculous and the scenery out in the countryside is wonderful. The controls (especially West End Cafe) are excellent too. I seem to remember it finishes with a fairly flat run in which tired legs will welcome. Highly recommended!
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #2 on: 10 April, 2016, 01:38:41 pm »
I have ridden this one about 4 times now.Its a great route no really steep bits and flat first and last bits variety of coastal and rural scenery.

John usually puts on coffee and cake etc at the clubhouse and a sandwich at Emlyn Arms
West End cafe ideal for a late breakfast.

Dont miss the opportunity while you are in the area its a great day out.

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #3 on: 10 April, 2016, 01:53:16 pm »
What Banjo said.

I've ridden it three times and it's well worth the trip, sadly can't make it this time.
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #4 on: 11 April, 2016, 11:15:07 am »
I've done it a few times and it takes you to some remote places without throwing stupidly steep climbs at you. If you like real countryside you'll love this. Cow muck, red kites and cakes, though not all at the same time.

It starts off with a flatish run along the coast, giving you an early time buffer. Then into rolling countryside on very minor lanes. One or two steeper climbs before Llandovery, but fast easy bits in between. A mostly steady climb after Llandovery, then heading south towards home. The last miles are on busier road, so the least enjoyable. You don't need to be super fit for this ride.

« Reply #5 on: 11 April, 2016, 01:23:19 pm »
Flat to Ferry Cabin, Ferryside (usually opens early just for us). Rolling to Llandovery West End Cafe (via Bethlehem). A bit more 'up' (but beautiful) to Emlyn Arms via Dryslwyn Castle. Flatt-ish then flat back to Bynea, skirting past Carmarthen. Quiet roads all the way round except for the road out of Carmarthen.

I intend to be doing it.

« Reply #6 on: 11 April, 2016, 02:05:11 pm »
The route reminds me of a ride I did a few years ago with control stops at the Ferry side and then Carreg Cennen Castle.  Quite enjoyed that one although the most memorable bit happened when I met a damp cattle grid which had round bars and an incline.  Despite my efforts at picking the pace up on the run up I promptly came to a complete stop although my legs were spinning at over 100 and the wheels fizzing around...and I then fell slowly off to one side.  Must have been the source of much merriment for the local sheep.

Actually, the other memorable thing was getting knocked unconscious in a head-on brush with a white van but I tend not to dwell on that.

I am up for this one, assuming a sore knee quits its jibber jabber after yesterday's brutal assault in the Rhondda Traverse  :)

Redlight

« Reply #7 on: 11 April, 2016, 05:27:32 pm »
Looks like I will be signing up  :thumbsup:  I had a great day out there on a similar visit a few years ago, so will look forward to it.

Thanks for all the advice.

« Reply #8 on: 11 April, 2016, 05:43:01 pm »
I am the official tail end charlie on Bynea rides (and other locations) so dont go sneaking in behind me and spoil my hard earned record. ;D

Redlight

« Reply #9 on: 11 April, 2016, 05:54:07 pm »
I am the official tail end charlie on Bynea rides (and other locations) so dont go sneaking in behind me and spoil my hard earned record. ;D

Hey, if I'm going to bring my bike all the way from that Lundun and do battle with GWR's booking system for bikes on trains, I'm going to make sure I get full value!

« Reply #10 on: 11 April, 2016, 09:48:55 pm »
Superb event and route. Superb.

« Reply #11 on: 12 April, 2016, 08:55:54 pm »
I intended to do it but have only just realised that I'll be returning from holiday that day - sorry.
Iawn, cont? It's a 67.4" by the way.

Redlight

« Reply #12 on: 02 May, 2016, 10:45:39 am »
Any others takers for this one?  My first ever all-Welsh Audax (as the BCM slips into Herefordshire for a few miles) and my first event since PBP last summer!

I'm wondering whether I can get away with wearing the Audax England jersey - or will that be asking for trouble  ;)

« Reply #13 on: 02 May, 2016, 12:38:15 pm »
local ride, has to be done. If we're dressing up, I'll splash out on a new pair of socks. (prev purchase circa 1997). 

miniog

• aka IanS
« Reply #14 on: 06 May, 2016, 01:18:22 pm »
I'm in.

I'm wondering whether I can get away with wearing the Audax England jersey - or will that be asking for trouble  ;)

Don't worry. It will probably be hidden by your rain jacket.

Redlight

« Reply #15 on: 07 May, 2016, 10:54:10 pm »
What a great ride! More to follow when I am back at a proper keyboard but that has to go down as one of the loveliest 200s that I've done. At times the route was so gorgeous that I forgot to keep an eye on the route sheet and so extracted about 16km of extra value. A great day out and, happily, the rain mainly stayed somewhere else.

« Reply #16 on: 08 May, 2016, 08:22:49 am »
 Rode round with a friend on his first 200 it was a great day out for both of us.

The Scenery on this ride is second to none . A mix of beaches harbours rivers and mountains all on the same day.  Carmarthenshire seems to have been spending money on the roads recently giving us many miles of beautiful smooth new tarmac to enjoy.

Bumped into Redlight a few times who was enjoying the scenery so much he went off in search of a bit more  ;D

John the org was hit with a bombshell the day before that due to the clubhouse showers being refitted there was currently no water on in the club . He coped admirably and tea and coffee was still available with cake etc at start and finish.

You don't need to be superfit to ride this 200 the hilly bits are more than offset by long flat sections and great controls that get you fed quickly.
It really is one to put in your diary for next year which hopefully will be my Snapper number 6.

« Reply #17 on: 08 May, 2016, 08:49:40 pm »
Nice to have met you yesterday Redlight, glad you enjoyed the route, I've done this event every year since I discovered audax, being as it's only 20 mins from home . Of all the 200's I've done this has to be my favourite.
Banjo,good to catch up with you, it's almost an annual event now.
Must say, i took Johns advice and had breakfast in Ferryside, instead of a quick splash and dash,
Cakes at the end were up to their usual delicious standard, so much so I had three pieces.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153600851781814.1073741909.579346813&type=1&l=ed507024b0
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

« Reply #18 on: 11 May, 2016, 05:55:29 pm »
Excellent picture record of the event!

Redlight

« Reply #19 on: 13 May, 2019, 02:47:42 pm »
Anyone doing this next month?

I have to schedule a trip to Llanelli at some point soon and am sorely tempted to mix business with pleasure and re-visit this event as it was so lovely last time.  (Especially now that I have a GPX so am less likely to extend the route involuntarily).

Redlight

« Reply #20 on: 23 May, 2019, 10:25:28 pm »
OK, well now at least one person - me - is doing it.   Looking forward to trying out the 'new' route back.

Just got to sort out somewhere to stay now.