Linked Events

• YACF camping weekend: Twitey's Tipis, Wellesbourne: 06 September, 2019 - 08 September, 2019

Author Topic: YACF camping weekend: Twitey's Tipis, Wellesbourne, 6-8th September 2019  (Read 13242 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
http://twiteystipis.co.uk/

Update:

In light of the pitches-for-several-small-tents arrangements, I've agreed to coordinate a group booking.  The site have agreed to take individual payments through their website - you should book a standard grass pitch (unless you fancy the luxury of a tipi or a yurt), and say you're with YACF in the notes field of the booking form.  The payment system automagically adds a car fee to the booking[1], but they will refund this in cash on arrival if you turn up by bike.

Let me know if you're coming, so we have a firm idea of numbers.

Current attenders (in order of appearance):
andrewc
Kim
cycleman (but not Apollo)
?Clariflies
bikepacker ?+another (circumstances permitting)
Cudzoziemiec
Salvatore
JBB
Wowbagger
?Canardly

I make that 8 confirmed and 1 possibles.

Anyone else?

--------------------

Breaking this out from the Instead-of-Midlenhall thread:

I found a camping site  near Stratford upon Avon called twiteys   tipis , lowe farm,
Hunscote lane, weĺlesbourne,Warwick,  Warwickshire  cv35 9ex which might make a nice forum meeting place

Having had time to have a proper look, it does seem promising.  Facilities, FIRE, non-tent options for anyone who's logistically challenged.  And they'll have more than one small tent on a 10m pitch.

Location is an easy ride from Stratford-upon-Avon (which has bike-friendly local trains to Stourbridge via Middle Earth, and Leamington Spa), or a bit further from Coventry, which is on the mainline.

[...] some good cycling around those parts.  The roads into Stratford can all be a bit busy, but you can find nice rolling lanes in most other directions.

I also note the airfield opposite the site has an audax-approved cafe (and, undoubtedly, wheelpants), as does the hayfever centre at Charlecote.  It's also within cycling distance of Henley-in-Icecream.

I know of Michael Twite that owns the place - he's a landscape gardener and his men did a load of work at our house in SuA about 2004 - I didn't know he was doing the camping stuff.

Various positive comments above are all pretty true : there is an easy and safe way into SuA via Loxley, the Touchdown Cafe at Wellesbourne Airfield (about 400 yards from Michael's place) is a regular push and motor-cycle stop serving the all-day breakfast to die for and the ultimate bread-pudding (it's also an Audax control now and again), there is a Sainsburys about a mile away, a Co-op and 2 pubs in Wellesbourne, a few places of interest around with loads of quiet lanes ... and there's an LBS called Cycle Route Warks in the centre of Wellesbourne village managed by a smashing bloke who's really helpful*

The one possible downside, but only for a few hours, is that there is a MASSIVE market at Wellesbourne Airfiled (the other side from the campsite) on Saturdays and Bank Holiday Mondays (from about 0900 - 1500) and traffic on the main Warwick/M40junc - Stow/Cirencester road gets busy.

Rob

* there's a picture of the LBS manager at left hand side of this post  ;D

Plan is for the weekend of the 7th of September.

[1] Not sure if this is bad web design, or due to too many people turning up with cars they hadn't paid for.

I have the first 2  weeks in September booked as leave.  This would be right in the middle of it.   I could take a meandering route down from Liverpool & then ride on somewhere from Wellesbourne.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
It's local, so I'm up for it.  Barakta possibly, depending on mobility.

I've just noticed it's the Coventry $kyRide HSBC Let's Ride on the Sunday, so if anyone wanted a rare opportunity to cycle a lap of Coventry's notorious ring road without splatty DETH (perhaps on the way to a train?) there's your chance.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I have the first 2  weeks in September booked as leave.  This would be right in the middle of it.   I could take a meandering route down from Liverpool & then ride on somewhere from Wellesbourne.
You could bring your own tipi!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
I shall be working at the shop until 1530 on the Saturday but would be up for something in the late PM/evening and very probably the Sunday.    The local cycle club has a number of tried and tested local routes that could be used?

Not camping for me  - stopped doing that about 45 years ago - I only live 7 miles away.

Rob

Anyone else up for this ?

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
Not me, I'm shifted on at work that weekend.

Me and apollo   :)
the slower you go the more you see

We probably are up for it.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

I still have it pencilled in as I am hoping to be there, it will however depend on how Pauline is at the time. The good thing is it is only 40+ miles from home so getting back urgently wouldn't be a problem.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Cudzoziemiec

Re: YACF camping weekend: Twitey's Tipis, Wellesbourne, 7-8th September 2019
« Reply #10 on: 07 August, 2019, 09:57:33 am »
Yep. Gotta getta bizee on cycle.travel.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #11 on: 13 August, 2019, 05:20:15 pm »
I see no reason why I shouldn't attend.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #12 on: 14 August, 2019, 09:26:11 pm »
I'll try and get there, it sounds good!
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #13 on: 22 August, 2019, 03:03:45 pm »
This still happening, I've negotiated a pass out!
Reine de la Fauche

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #14 on: 22 August, 2019, 04:43:01 pm »
I have just put it in the diary!

I shall have to leave some time on Sunday as I have promised my pal Penny that I will be available on Monday 9th to fetch & carry should she need me to. She's having her second cataract op.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #15 on: 22 August, 2019, 06:13:23 pm »
I'm not far away normally, but away that weekend.

The Sustrans route from Warwick to Stratford via Wellesbourne takes you through Loxley with its ancient church and possibly doomed local. The cafe at Wellesbourne airfield is well known for its breakfasts, though I can't vouch for it personally. Do they still do markets/car boot sales at the airfield? If so, the area will be heaving.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

robgul

« Reply #16 on: 22 August, 2019, 06:43:20 pm »
The Touchdown Cafe at the airfield (actually opposite the end of the lane from Michael Twite's glamping site) is the area's go-to for the all day breakfast (and other more wholesome food) push and motor-cyclists - as I mentioned up-thread there is a massive market on the airfield (access from the A429) from about 0800-1530 on Saturdays.

I'll keep an eye on this thread for a bit more detail/attendees and probably tootle over after I close my LBS in Wellesbourne and/or Sunday morning.

Rob

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #17 on: 22 August, 2019, 07:30:09 pm »
I have tickets. The princely sum of £8.20 all the way from Southend Central to Leamington Spa, and the same amount back again. I arrive in L Spa at 13.25 on the Friday. Booked into the 13.46 back home again on the Sunday. So a leisurely 10-mile-ishpotter to and from. What's the B4087 like for cycling?

robgul

« Reply #18 on: 22 August, 2019, 08:20:55 pm »
I have tickets. The princely sun of £8.20 all the way from Southend Central to Leamington Spa, and the same amount back again. I arrive in L Spa at 13.25 on the Friday. Booked into the 13.46 back home again on the Sunday. So a leisurely 10-mile-ishpotter to and from. What's the B4087 like for cycling?

No problem - I rode from LSpa to Wellesbourne (and then home to SuA) yesterday on all but about 300 yards of the route from the station to the point where I joined the B4087 in LSpa- a bit built up to start with for the first 2.5km or so but then open country thereafter (watch out for vehicles with strange reflective tape patterns on them - it's the area to spot new vehicles under test from Jaguar Land Rover and Aston Martin - the drivers are pretty careful about avoiding cyclists!)

You would probably be in time to get a cup of tea at the Touchdown Cafe (I think it closes at 1530) - or there's a cafe in the middle of Wellesbourne that closes at 1600 (when you get to the T junction on the B4087 with the B4086 look to the left and across the road by the light controlled crossing and you'll see it)

Rob

« Reply #19 on: 22 August, 2019, 09:00:17 pm »
Still planning to cycle down over several days from Liverpool.   Do we just rock up & hope or has an area been booked ?

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #20 on: 22 August, 2019, 11:21:46 pm »
Sadly can't make as (luckily) camping at Knepp that weekend

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21 on: 26 August, 2019, 11:07:45 pm »
Still planning to cycle down over several days from Liverpool.   Do we just rock up & hope or has an area been booked ?

Cycleman's technically disorganising this one (I just rounded the posts up into one thread), but having looked at the website I note that:

a) You can fit several small tents on one pitch
b) The price is per person, so sharing pitches doesn't actually make things any cheaper (indeed, with an additional fee for an oversized pitch, it's actually more expensive).

Might be worth coordinating bookings so we don't all end up on separate pitches, though?  I'm happy to make the booking if  we can get a decent idea of numbers...  (Has anyone booked already?)

« Reply #22 on: 27 August, 2019, 07:22:46 am »
That would be appreciated Kim as I am not a natural organizer.
I'm coming but apollo has a trip planned which might  clash  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #23 on: 27 August, 2019, 08:43:01 am »
I haven't booked. I would be grateful if you were to take charge of this, Kim.

Jan and I are buggering off Oop Noorth for a week, starting in about an hour. Will be back on Monday. Will have to try to remember what to do to go cycle camping.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24 on: 27 August, 2019, 10:40:47 am »
Will have to try to remember what to do to go cycle camping.
Bike, tent, sleeping bag, change of clothes, stove, mug, coffee and/or tea. Twice as much money as originally planned. Everything else is optional.  ;D