Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 858119 times)

Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #3675 on: 24 August, 2019, 11:03:00 pm »
Unless I'm missing something it's a single-speed 'get you to the next control' bodge, right? One advantage of using DT shifters is that replacing a snapped gear cable is nearly as quick as any other temp fix.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #3676 on: 25 August, 2019, 08:25:24 am »
That there's enough Al RF shielding inside a dead laptop power brick to make a good number of trim tabs and other v. thin sheet parts for model aeroplanes. 
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #3677 on: 27 August, 2019, 10:06:31 am »
That “Wagamama” means something like  “wilful and self centred” and that the restaurant chain of the same name prefer “naughty child” as a translation.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #3678 on: 27 August, 2019, 12:28:14 pm »
That there's enough Al RF shielding inside a dead laptop power brick to make a good number of trim tabs and other v. thin sheet parts for model aeroplanes.
Hmmmm.........<goes off to find and break open some old electronics.....>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3679 on: 27 August, 2019, 12:55:48 pm »
That “Wagamama” means something like  “wilful and self centred” and that the restaurant chain of the same name prefer “naughty child” as a translation.
So now I'm wondering if "waga" is a proper Japanese word or if it's a borrowed word like "mama". And also wondering how widely recognised the word would be in Japan. And as for learning things, I've learned (presumably from the same source) that it's a British chain: I tend to assume (overly cynically? or insufficiently cynically?) that all these chains are USA in origin.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3680 on: 27 August, 2019, 02:36:13 pm »
It was a Japanese colleague who recognised the word when we were discussing “Japanese” restaurants in th UK.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3681 on: 27 August, 2019, 02:40:01 pm »
Okay! I googled something like "what does wagamama mean?" and the first hit was Wikipedia, with a sentence almost identical to yours. Which is where I learnt it's a British chain. I've never been to one so it doesn't really matter!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

TheLurker

« Reply #3682 on: 27 August, 2019, 08:27:30 pm »
Hmmmm.........<goes off to find and break open some old electronics.....>
If it's power bricks you'll need a hacksaw blade to crack the casing and don't cut too deep or you'll ruin that lovely thin* sheet. :)

Dead electronic bits, esp Mice, are a surprisingly good source of v. tiny screws which are likewise jolly handy in the building of small model aeroplanes.

*Haven't taken the calipers to it yet, but first order approximation says 10 thou.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3683 on: 27 August, 2019, 09:18:52 pm »
If it's power bricks you'll need a hacksaw blade to crack the casing and don't cut too deep or you'll ruin that lovely thin* sheet. :)

I believe the saying is "With a Dremel and flat-head screwdriver, *everything* contains user-serviceable parts", though whoever came up with that left putting the case back together as an exercise for the reader.

A spudger is useful for cracking into consumer electronics things, though mains power supplies tend to be glued or ultrasonically welded shut to stop the electrons falling out.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3684 on: 28 August, 2019, 08:18:51 am »
Thought it was "a sliding spanner and a four-pound hammer" myself, or was that basic bike maintenance?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #3685 on: 28 August, 2019, 05:59:30 pm »
Most of my really, really small fasteners have come from dead mice and hard drives.  Well, anything smaller than 1/4 Whit anyway.

« Reply #3686 on: 29 August, 2019, 02:50:58 am »
That a company called Burtles produces the "Aircraft" blouson. This has twin fans in the kidney area that can run for 12 hours, keeping the wearer ventilated and somewhat cooler and fresher than the 34C / 93% humidity environment that is Yokohama today.
https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/worktk/item/bt-ac1001-l-b/

Chris S

« Reply #3687 on: 29 August, 2019, 10:32:26 am »
That there is a music genre called "shoegaze". So named because performers of such music appear to be staring at their feet as they operate foot pedals!  :thumbsup:

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #3688 on: 07 September, 2019, 04:34:45 pm »
1. There is such a thing as a spudger.

2. The reason our front garden wall appears to be subsiding. Who the hell puts a DPC in a garden wall? It has been slowly sliding off its footings since it was built.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3689 on: 07 September, 2019, 04:55:27 pm »
When I was 15 I spent most of my summer holidays hacking the bottom 18" of plaster off the ground-floor walls of our house, applying bitumen and replastering.  The wretched builder had put a DPC under the flooring and a DPC in the walls, but hadn't joined the two so that the plaster wicked up the moisture, softened and bulged out under the wallpaper, which also looked a bit sad.

No compensation from the builder, either: he had started a firm to build & sell the houses then pocketed the money and closed down. You could do that easily in the 1950s.  He was 12 years gone by the time my dad decided to tackle the walls himself, and I pitched in as well. As it happened I did 90% of it - horrible job.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3690 on: 08 September, 2019, 02:52:48 pm »
That the term “Jizz” means “the overall impression or appearance of a bird garnered from such features as shape, posture, flying style or other habitual movements....”. Furthermore “experienced birders can often make reliable identifications.... by using jizz”.

« Reply #3691 on: 08 September, 2019, 03:11:59 pm »

2. The reason our front garden wall appears to be subsiding. Who the hell puts a DPC in a garden wall? It has been slowly sliding off its footings since it was built.

There is also such a thing as a podger.
I have a 17mm, two-way ratcheting one.
It used to be very useful for undoing the nut on the eccentric rear axle on my Honda 650.
Mostly, scaffolders/riggers use podgers.

« Reply #3692 on: 08 September, 2019, 04:33:19 pm »
The pointy end is used to align bolt holes, by inserting and levering.

« Reply #3693 on: 08 September, 2019, 04:43:54 pm »
That the term “Jizz” means “the overall impression or appearance of a bird garnered from such features as shape, posture, flying style or other habitual movements....”. Furthermore “experienced birders can often make reliable identifications.... by using jizz”.

You've some spunk, posting that...  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

TheLurker

« Reply #3694 on: 08 September, 2019, 07:47:14 pm »
Quote from: Jurek
There is also such a thing as a Podger.
And a damn fine fiddle player she is too.

« Reply #3695 on: 08 September, 2019, 08:05:54 pm »
The pointy end is used to align bolt holes, by inserting and levering.
Indeed.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3696 on: 08 September, 2019, 08:11:42 pm »

Yeah, anyone who's had the misfortune to attempt to repair modern consumer electronics (and particularly the products of the Mega-Global Fruit Corporation of Cupertino, USAnia) knows all about them.  Best operated in combination with misplaced optimism and harsh language.

If you're in the market of a spudger, the iSesamo ones are good.

« Reply #3697 on: 08 September, 2019, 08:16:24 pm »

Yeah, anyone who's had the misfortune to attempt to repair modern consumer electronics (and particularly the products of the Mega-Global Fruit Corporation of Cupertino, USAnia) knows all about them.  Best operated in combination with misplaced optimism and harsh language.

If you're in the market of a spudger, the iSesamo ones are good.
Noted.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3698 on: 08 September, 2019, 09:37:48 pm »
Guardian weekend quiz?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #3699 on: 08 September, 2019, 10:33:06 pm »
The derivation of riff raff from the original french verbs which also explains rifling through garments and the rifling of gun barrels. Known to go back at least to the 14th century apparently.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain