Author Topic: Tomato plants - what do do with them  (Read 2911 times)

Tomato plants - what do do with them
« on: 12 June, 2008, 10:35:59 am »
A rather basic query from a growing novice.

I've been given 12 tomato plants from someone at work that are currently planted in a tray, and are about 6" high.

Apart from the obvious 'plant them' what should I be doing? I was going to stick them in grow-bags, but are they ready for this yet? Will be going outside too in as sunny a spot I can muster.

Re: Tomato plants - what do do with them
« Reply #1 on: 12 June, 2008, 10:43:15 am »
Yes, by the time they're 6" they should either be in large pots (10") or the ground. Grow bags are OK as the roots don't tend to go too low but you'll have to make sure you keep them evenly watered when the toms are on. They also need support which is easier in pot or ground. Some varieties eg gardeners delight are OK outside but it's not really warm enough at the moment so if that was the plan it'd be better to grow them on in 6" pots for a while.

Pinch the side shoots out being careful not to take of the growing tip by mistake. DO NOT feed until the second truss has set. Once they have toms they shouldn't be allowed to dry out at all becasue when you then water them the toms can split.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2 on: 12 June, 2008, 10:57:36 am »
If they're indoors, pollinate them with a fake bee made from a bit of cotton-wool on a stick - visit all the flowers. 

Definitely support 'em.  Get your strings or canes in place when you plant them up. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #3 on: 12 June, 2008, 11:02:01 am »
If they're indoors, pollinate them with a fake bee made from a bit of cotton-wool on a stick - visit all the flowers. 

I just water from above with a rose making sure the droplets jiggle the flowers (but a fake bee might be less messy if in a porch or conservatory I guess).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 12 June, 2008, 02:59:49 pm »
Plant into big pots or outdoors.
Then
Water
Feed
Water
Feed
Water
Feed
Water
Feed
almost daily until October/November. Tomatoes are demanding but rewarding plants.
Our toms are rather larger than your and some are now flowering.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 13 June, 2008, 05:57:03 pm »
A local FreeCycler has too many tomato plants and is giving them away. (Brent, London)
We din't plant many seeds this year and have enough plants.

Shen

« Reply #6 on: 14 June, 2008, 09:21:31 am »
 ;D

I went to the local garden center and got a bit carried away and bought four packets of seeds. Each packet providing four varieties. Yes you can see where this is going...

Well we had considerable succdess in the conservetory with germination running at roughly 90%.

The window sill now looks lovely with the water marks disguised by a good sanding and a coat of "it does what it says on the tin" varnish. Oh, and it does do what it says, excellent product.

Where was I... ah yes, well the plants, now numbering some 150.. *cough* have been given away, culled for weediness, and are now doing rather well in the green house, and borders of the garden.

Beware that little packet, its a monster in disguise.... LOL

Shen

« Reply #7 on: 14 June, 2008, 10:35:23 am »
Hmmm.

Tomato salad
Tomato soup
Pasta sauce
More soup
Stuffed tomatoes
Passata
Roast tomatoes
Tomato pie
Tomatoes carved in the shape of a flower
More soup
Tomato quiche
More soup
Soup
Salad
Soup
Salad
Soup

That will be your diet this summer  ;D

Si

« Reply #8 on: 14 June, 2008, 01:06:12 pm »
My experience of what you should do with them is let them reach 6+inches.  Pop em in a grow bag, put a stick next to them and tie on loosely. Step back and before you can say, in your best West Country acsent, "Well bugger Me" they've died. 

« Reply #9 on: 15 June, 2008, 06:21:57 pm »
Well, today involved the construction of the "Masters' tomato palace". Hedged our bets, so some in grow-bag, some in pot, some left in tray for later potting.

Wife posing as a tomato in our palace:

We shall have to wait and see...