Author Topic: 20 year waiting list for allotments.  (Read 4614 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
20 year waiting list for allotments.
« on: 28 July, 2008, 08:16:58 am »
"I 'eard," says he, leaning on his spade, "that there's a 20 year waiting list for allotments in S. Essex."

(Source: SE Essex Organic Gardeners Association)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: 20 year waiting list for allotments.
« Reply #1 on: 28 July, 2008, 08:26:39 am »
There is a waiting list for allotments in Dundee. The allotments have to wait for people to run them (at least on certain sites).

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #2 on: 28 July, 2008, 08:37:05 am »
We have loads of unused plots here but that may well be due to the ongoing problem of theft and vandalism, let alone the attitude of certain older plot holders who insist on spraying your plot for you with Roundup.   >:(

David Martin

« Reply #3 on: 28 July, 2008, 08:46:19 am »
Theft and vandalism mostly here. So some sites are hardly touched, others are oversubscribed.

Must go and get a new bottle of roundup..

..d

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 28 July, 2008, 08:49:54 am »
<dailymail>Ye gods, what is the world coming to, they are even stealing allottments now. It'll be those ilegal immigrant Eastern Europeans no doubt, shipping them abroad. </dailymail>  
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #5 on: 28 July, 2008, 08:55:04 am »
<dailymail>Ye gods, what is the world coming to, they are even stealing allottments now. It'll be those ilegal immigrant Eastern Europeans no doubt, shipping them abroad. </dailymail> 

<cynic>

Yeah, you're right.   Developers are working very hard to acquire allotments on the cheap to make huge profits from.  I wonder if there is a link between the problems and the sales ...

</cynic>

Just kiddin  ;)   

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: 28 July, 2008, 08:59:47 am »
It wouldn't surprise me one bit.
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #7 on: 28 July, 2008, 09:01:36 am »
I think Southend Borough Council have their eye on quite a lot of allotment sites for development, perversely at a time when increasing food prices are encouraging people back into gardening.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #8 on: 28 July, 2008, 09:55:41 am »
In Salisbury they've started creating new allotments.  Unused space in existing areas are being brought into use and new areas created.

IIRC there is a law which says that if six householders ask for allotments, the local authority (outside London natch) has to provide them.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Chris N

« Reply #9 on: 28 July, 2008, 10:16:49 am »
IIRC there is a law which says that if six householders ask for allotments, the local authority (outside London natch) has to provide them.

This came up on the River Cottage TV show a while back:
Under the 1908 Small Holdings and Allotments Act, where there is demand, it is the duty of the local authority to provide residents, registered on the electoral roll, with allotment space.

According to the National Society of Allotments and Leisure Gardeners:
If local people feel there is a need for allotments which is not being met, they can get together a group of any six residents who are registered on the electoral roll and put their case to the local authority.

Regulator

« Reply #10 on: 28 July, 2008, 12:31:27 pm »
Interestingly, I've had a shufty at the 1908 Act.  I'd always thought that the Inner London Boroughs were excluded (as it appears the  National Society of Allotments and Leisure Gardeners believes) - but I can't find any exclusion in the 1908 Act or elsewhere.

I might see if I can get another 4 people together and petition the City fo Westminster to see what happens...  :demon: ;D

Green Party Councillor

Regulator

« Reply #11 on: 28 July, 2008, 12:37:18 pm »
Buggrit!  Section 55 of the London Government Act 1963 changed the occurences of 'shall' in Section 23(1) of the 1908 Act to 'may' - and abolished Section 23(2)  - in respect of London Boroughs...  >:(

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #12 on: 02 August, 2008, 09:27:51 am »
There is a waiting list for allotments in Dundee. The allotments have to wait for people to run them (at least on certain sites).

Do you know which sites are waiting on people David? Of course, I might not want one there - ICBA trying to grow stuff for other people to steal/destroy. The woman at the council told me there was a 2 year waiting list....

David Martin

« Reply #13 on: 03 August, 2008, 01:37:43 pm »

Do you know which sites are waiting on people David? Of course, I might not want one there - ICBA trying to grow stuff for other people to steal/destroy. The woman at the council told me there was a 2 year waiting list....

South Road.
Ancrum road has a waiting list. You might try City Road (not run by the council). Mine is the weed fest just below the main gate.

..d

Regulator

« Reply #14 on: 03 August, 2008, 06:47:45 pm »

South Road.
Ancrum road has a waiting list. You might try City Road (not run by the council). Mine is the weed fest just below the main gate.

..d

Don't you mean yours is the 'set aside' or is 'lying fallow this year' or is a 'nature reserve'....  ;)

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #15 on: 03 August, 2008, 09:15:32 pm »
South Road.

Thanks David - I think I'll pass on South Road  :-X. Is it the City Road allotments that are having an open day on Sunday 24th? I might pop along to that and see whats what. (I'd really like to grow chickens, but I'm guessing thats not allowed/advisable :(  I know an egloo doesnt take up much space - I could have one in my garden if it wasnt for the neighbours... )

David Martin

« Reply #16 on: 03 August, 2008, 09:33:54 pm »
South Road.

Thanks David - I think I'll pass on South Road  :-X. Is it the City Road allotments that are having an open day on Sunday 24th? I might pop along to that and see whats what. (I'd really like to grow chickens, but I'm guessing thats not allowed/advisable :(  I know an egloo doesnt take up much space - I could have one in my garden if it wasnt for the neighbours... )

I don't know if they are having an open day. They are open from 10-12 Sat and Sun. Livestock are not permitted.

..d

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #17 on: 17 December, 2008, 08:17:45 am »
Open space and "green lungs" are high on the list of desirable things in modern developments. Allotments count (and can also be squeezed into health and local economy agendas). So, get yourselves down to the local council and start constructively lobbying. Engage developers etc.

You know, you can change the world quite easily - or at least the little bits near by.

David Martin

« Reply #18 on: 17 December, 2008, 08:39:08 am »
You know, you can change the world quite easily - or at least the little bits near by.

<cynic>Changing it for the better is somewhat harder though.. </cynic>