Author Topic: Vista HCx - Can I display comments?  (Read 4488 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: Vista HCx - Can I display comments?
« Reply #25 on: 10 August, 2010, 01:01:46 am »
FWIW i'm pretty sure that if routepoint names aren't unique when I send them to the device* it makes them unique.

I do believe you are correct Ben as I have seen this behaviour which relates to management of resources on the GPS and seems a very sensible approach. OTOH Mapsource will not allow a waypoint to be created if the name is already in use *within the .gdb*.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #26 on: 10 August, 2010, 11:21:40 am »
Interesting.  And it is also true that as SimonP said 'routepoints' don't actually have to be unique Id, apart from within their own route - but in practical terms (eg Mapsource) it's easier just to assume everything should be unique.

One 'mistake' that I often counsel against, is people plan separate routes in separate .gdb files, and then try to combine the two or more projects at the upload stage or by copying all into one gdb file.  It looks as though the upload method might actually work (but the end result might not be very helpful visually) - but combining into one gdb is usually doomed to failure, unless you're extremely well-organised.  Much better to work in one big gdb file from the get-go, for big multi-route projects like tours.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

simonp

« Reply #27 on: 10 August, 2010, 11:46:54 am »
One 'mistake' that I often counsel against, is people plan separate routes in separate .gdb files, and then try to combine the two or more projects at the upload stage or by copying all into one gdb file.  It looks as though the upload method might actually work (but the end result might not be very helpful visually) - but combining into one gdb is usually doomed to failure, unless you're extremely well-organised.  Much better to work in one big gdb file from the get-go, for big multi-route projects like tours.

sed and python are your friends :)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #28 on: 10 August, 2010, 11:00:12 pm »
er, no.  This is a public place, not a geeks' attic.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll