Author Topic: ACME Anvil Winter Series  (Read 120262 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: ACME Anvil Winter Series
« Reply #750 on: 30 October, 2023, 06:42:51 pm »
Blue Peter lives again!
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #751 on: 02 November, 2023, 06:47:54 pm »
Just been watching the news. I assumed most of the flooding was south of the Thames, but parts of Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk look pretty bad. How is Saturday's route affected? Seems a bit of a trivial question when people are struggling to keep their homes dry!

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #752 on: 02 November, 2023, 07:26:33 pm »
Weather in Witham hasn't been too bad, some short blasts of heavy rain but moving on at speed in the wind. Some localised standing water or perhaps flooding due to blocked drains etc is inevitable on Saturdays route and we can't really be sure how bad it will be on the day, any ride (check) before the event will give different results to the actual scheduled ride.

Let's hope the trains are running!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #753 on: 02 November, 2023, 08:06:12 pm »
I think the only Winter Series event that has been seriously flood-affected in the past has been my Stansted Airport Express, with several rivers on the route that are prone to overflow, a couple of fords, as well as that notorious dip under the old railway bridge at Takeley Street (hello Big Saxon!).

Huggy may have some organiser's wisdom to impart. Just reading through the route sheet I can't see any potential issues for Saturday's ride, apart from the Chelmer at the foot of North Hill, at Papermill Lock. If the river is very high a section of the road does get flooded (there's a depth gauge alongside the road after the bridge). From there it's only 10km to the finish, so wet feet might be more bearable! If it's as wet as forecast, there will certainly be some big puddles - I'll be going top-to-toe waterproof coverage including long waterproof socks!

« Reply #754 on: 02 November, 2023, 08:11:44 pm »
Tomorrow is forecast to be sunny, so hopefully time for some of the rain to drain away before more arrives on Sat.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #755 on: 02 November, 2023, 08:50:04 pm »
The main potential flood hazard I can think of is at Papermill Lock, as Tomsk says. I consulted our TMNH resident earlier who said he’d recce the area tomorrow.
The problem is that if Papermill Lock is flooded the neighbouring crossings of the Chelmer will also be flooded so the only dry route from Danbury to Witham will be via Maldon and Langford. Not too lengthy a diversion but would need to be guided by GPX if not familiar with the area.
Of course, by the time you get to the foot of North Hill to possibly find it flooded the wet feet avoidance plan is to retrace up TMNH to head over to Maldon. A dilemma of braving the wet feet or going back up. The good news is that I don’t recall a hazardous road surface in the area so hopefully no submerged pot holes.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #756 on: 02 November, 2023, 10:32:57 pm »
Thanks for the local knowledge. I'll bring my overshoes and my snorkel.

ElyDave

« Reply #757 on: 03 November, 2023, 07:07:40 am »
Should I have seen a route sheet and GPX file in my inbox yet? Or can I rely on previous editions - last gpx and routesheet I have is 2021.

Looking at the forecast definitely a case of break out the winter kit.  Doesn't look overly cold, but sogginess looks on the cards.

« Reply #758 on: 03 November, 2023, 07:57:13 am »
The GPX and routesheet can be obtained from https://acme.bike/events/essex-3rs-100/

There are variations, depending on your preference for by-pass or hill in Maldon.

I've not had an email yet, but since I entered quite late I'm not expecting one.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #759 on: 03 November, 2023, 08:16:09 am »
The bulk email was sent out Monday, just sent to entries received in last couple of days (and resent to ED's hotmail address (if I have correctly identified you)).
There may be yet another variation for flooded Chelmer River avoidance, that will be sent later if considered necessary.

ElyDave

« Reply #760 on: 03 November, 2023, 08:38:34 am »
The bulk email was sent out Monday, just sent to entries received in last couple of days (and resent to ED's hotmail address (if I have correctly identified you)).
There may be yet another variation for flooded Chelmer River avoidance, that will be sent later if considered necessary.

Cheers, yes, that HM address - in my inbox now. 

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
« Reply #761 on: 03 November, 2023, 09:48:10 am »
Due to Covid the 3Rs was cancelled in 2020 but made available as a perm. I rode it starting in Stock the first week of December, Papermill was flooded to about 18 inches which did not make for a pleasant return EPE to Woolwich. Worth checking what it's like today.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #762 on: 03 November, 2023, 10:30:44 am »
okay, here are the route options if you are following a GPS device, I'm not doing a route sheet for all the options. They all go through all the controls.

RwGPS event page with all routes listed
https://ridewithgps.com/events/163196-essex-3r-s-routes

Individual route options
Essex 3R's                                   107.0 km   +784 m
Essex 3R's - Flood avoidance         109.5 km   +790 m
Essex 3R's - Mkt Hill + Flood avd.  109.9 km   +773 m
Essex 3R's - Mkt Hill avoidance      107.4 km   +767 m

It has not yet been confirmed there is or is not a flood at Papermill Lock, so choose your preferred route option based on your own willingness to embrace the unknown!!

« Reply #763 on: 03 November, 2023, 10:43:29 am »
No flood alerts in area and river Chelmer level reported as 0.5m and steady upstream from Papermill.   Low level land flooding is reported as possible if river level gets above 0.69m.

I’ll load a flood avoidance route anyway just in case reality doesn’t match online.

« Reply #764 on: 03 November, 2023, 11:18:16 am »
I am currently on the bridge at paper mill. No flooding. Just some puddles. River is very full though...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #765 on: 03 November, 2023, 02:22:48 pm »
... including long waterproof socks!

Random question - do you recommend any make of these?

I'm trying short waterproof socks on another audax tomorrow - but I suspect they'll just fill up from the top on the first flooded road!

« Reply #766 on: 03 November, 2023, 04:21:10 pm »
I am currently on the bridge at paper mill. No flooding. Just some puddles. River is very full though...

Has Bobb been seen or heard from since?

« Reply #767 on: 03 November, 2023, 04:35:58 pm »
Chain lubed for all the good it will do tomorrow morning 😆

« Reply #768 on: 03 November, 2023, 05:20:18 pm »
Surely that's a question for the nominative determinism thread?

« Reply #769 on: 03 November, 2023, 05:21:28 pm »

Will that be on the recumbent? If so, hopefully you won't need waterproof pants!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #770 on: 03 November, 2023, 05:25:56 pm »
... including long waterproof socks!

Random question - do you recommend any make of these?

I'm trying short waterproof socks on another audax tomorrow - but I suspect they'll just fill up from the top on the first flooded road!

I've got a pair of long (mid-calf) sealskins socks - I've only used them for some wet walks this year but will be trialling them with winter boots and overtrousers tomorrow, the latter at least for the ride in when the rain is expected to be heaviest. Later on in the morning through to afternoon it may just be showery. I'll probably find room in the saddlebag for spare gloves and socks though.

« Reply #771 on: 03 November, 2023, 05:56:07 pm »

I made it home!  ;D
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #772 on: 03 November, 2023, 06:12:38 pm »
I've got a pair of long (mid-calf) sealskins socks - I've only used them for some wet walks this year but will be trialling them with winter boots and overtrousers tomorrow, the latter at least for the ride in when the rain is expected to be heaviest. Later on in the morning through to afternoon it may just be showery. I'll probably find room in the saddlebag for spare gloves and socks though.

Thanks and snap!

I think I bought the same, or similar from Decathlon today. And I'll have spare socks/gloves too - there are bound to be flooded lanes on the Upper Thames tomorrow. Nothing nicer than changing into dry socks and gloves mid ride!

« Reply #773 on: 03 November, 2023, 06:18:04 pm »

Will that be on the recumbent? If so, hopefully you won't need waterproof pants!

Yes, on recumbent, though I don’t wear waterproofs on the bike even in weather forecast like tomorrow’s.

I’m also less gung-ho about floods after I rode into one in Winter 2021, it came up over seat and didn’t do dynamo bearings much good either.

« Reply #774 on: 03 November, 2023, 10:28:38 pm »
Dry sack with spare gloves, socks and top packed.  Winter boots readied for use.  Mrs JellyLegs is questioning my sanity having seen the forecast.