Author Topic: 100 Lux dynamo light  (Read 83648 times)

100 Lux dynamo light
« on: 21 August, 2015, 02:55:36 pm »
B&M recently announced a 100 Lux dynamo headlight called "Lumotec IQ-X"

http://www.bumm.de/produkte/dynamo-scheinwerfer/lumotec-iq-x.html

Metal housing, integrated cable guide, slightly smaller than the B&M Cyo but is described as having the same broad beam shape as the B&M Luxos. It looks like it is "waterproof" in the same way as the Edelux II.

Rear view:

As I understand it, the on/off button is inside the blue ring. I assume the blue ring also signals whether the light is on or not, and perhaps also a help finding the button when turning off the light in a very dark place.

The metal ring on the aluminium body is used to attach the light to light holder bracket. It also has three small slits that allows for sideways light which is a legal requirement in many countries.
Apparently the ring allows the light to be mounted from the top since the ring can be turned. This will make it easier to attach it to handlebars. Probably some recumbent bicycles could benefit from this too.

Beam shape on a road. It looks like it can easily illuminate the road up to at least 50 meters:

For comparison, here is the "old" 60 Lux IQ Cyo:

The "new" 80 lux IQ Cyo Premium:

What worries me a little is that it only available in a "sensor/daylight" version. I really hope that they don't pack too many modes into the single button since I hate cycling through many modes using a single button when turning off the light.

To think how happy I was with my 15 lux halogen dynamo light a decade ago. The progress in bicycle lights have been amazing thanks to advancements in LED technology.
--
Regards

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: 100 Lux dynamo light
« Reply #1 on: 21 August, 2015, 06:35:42 pm »
I believe Supernova will upgrade the original E3 (I have one) with the latest LED for a lot less than buying a new one.  The original E3 does spew light all over the place though, and is probably a bit offensive for oncoming traffic.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2 on: 21 August, 2015, 10:28:25 pm »
I have the other two lights that there are beam shots for and they look realistic to me.  Which makes me think I want the 100 lux version  ;D

Trouble is I have a spare Cyo so if one of them broke I really have no excuse for further investment

« Reply #3 on: 22 August, 2015, 10:41:49 am »
I have a Supernova E3 (upgraded a few years ago) and it's very good. I've emailed Gregor Arndt (of Supernova)
to ask if there's another upgrade of the E3 due. Not sure about the E3 triple.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #4 on: 22 August, 2015, 03:40:36 pm »
Wow, just wow. I want one, wonder how much it'll be.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5 on: 22 August, 2015, 03:55:07 pm »
(Googles E3 Triple.  Wants)

Don't be silly, Mr Larrington.  When was the last time you rode on an unlit road after dark?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #6 on: 22 August, 2015, 04:05:24 pm »
this is one of the very few appealing dynamo lights; it would be good to know if it is rainproof. i'd like the lens assembly totaly hermetic so it doesn't fog up from the inside in very wet conditions.

« Reply #7 on: 23 August, 2015, 12:42:01 am »
Wow, just wow. I want one, wonder how much it'll be.
RRP is €140, the same as Rose are selling the Edelux II

« Reply #8 on: 23 August, 2015, 12:52:06 am »
100 Lux is going to be really extreme!
The 100 lux is what you get when you point it at a wall 10m away.
If that bit of the beam is being used to light the road 50 or 60 m in front of the bike, it's not that bright (but still useful). Often what makes a light look bright, and is a nuisance to riders in front, is lots of light on fairly close bits of road, when there may not be that much on the more distant parts of the road.

simonp

« Reply #9 on: 26 August, 2015, 11:53:04 am »
These (IQ-Tec) lights are designed to put more light down the road and limit the amount close to the rider.

My light for PBP was a 90 lux battery light with a 17-lux eco mode. I spent most of the night sections in eco-mode and especially when following other riders. Sometimes I had to switch to full power mode because I was being followed by a rider with a bright light and there was too much shadow. This is now the issue with a dynamo light this bright: it's too bright much of the time. I also turned my light down when there were oncoming riders on the Roc because I suspected they'd be dazzled by such a bright light, even when properly adjusted.

« Reply #10 on: 26 August, 2015, 02:47:52 pm »
These (IQ-Tec) lights are designed to put more light down the road and limit the amount close to the rider.

My light for PBP was a 90 lux battery light with a 17-lux eco mode. I spent most of the night sections in eco-mode and especially when following other riders. Sometimes I had to switch to full power mode because I was being followed by a rider with a bright light and there was too much shadow. This is now the issue with a dynamo light this bright: it's too bright much of the time. I also turned my light down when there were oncoming riders on the Roc because I suspected they'd be dazzled by such a bright light, even when properly adjusted.

Put a diffusion screen in front of it.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #11 on: 26 August, 2015, 05:34:23 pm »
Or save money by buying a crap light ;)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

simonp

« Reply #12 on: 26 August, 2015, 05:42:04 pm »
Already got a light.

« Reply #13 on: 03 February, 2016, 10:41:30 am »
Rose bikes have the IQ-X in stock now.  Seems it also comes in a brushed silver finish which looks good too.

Eyeing it up as a nice potential upgrade for my Lumotec IQ Cyo Premium T senso plus, if only for the reason that the model name is much less of a mouthful!
Up the hills and round the bends

« Reply #14 on: 03 February, 2016, 10:49:33 am »
I'm seriously considering buying one for the Silkroute 1200 later this year. This should be great on the deserted roads of Uzbekistan. The mounting options will be great for mounting it on a front carrier as well.

« Reply #15 on: 03 February, 2016, 01:35:03 pm »
Rose bikes have the IQ-X in stock now.  Seems it also comes in a brushed silver finish which looks good too.

Eyeing it up as a nice potential upgrade for my Lumotec IQ Cyo Premium T senso plus, if only for the reason that the model name is much less of a mouthful!

Not available for 7 weeks  :'(

« Reply #16 on: 03 February, 2016, 01:38:18 pm »
Apparently 2 weeks for silver though

« Reply #17 on: 03 February, 2016, 11:23:01 pm »

Not available for 7 weeks  :'(

I ordered one from Bike24 ages ago and it's been showing as 'availability unknown since almost immediately afterwards. I'd cancel it, but the price was far below current listings.

Has anyone actually seen or used one yet?

Mike

Saftlad

• I don't do hills...
« Reply #18 on: 04 February, 2016, 12:18:13 pm »
I ordered mine from Rose in November, when availability was expected to be 1 week - price was £73.

They sent me three email since then, each time advising of a longer wait.  Latest was that they are unlikely to have it until April.

Despite a potential saving of £25, I've cancelled the order

« Reply #19 on: 04 February, 2016, 01:15:11 pm »
Hollandbikeshop.com seem to have them in stock for 109 euros ex post.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Up the hills and round the bends

« Reply #21 on: 04 February, 2016, 09:47:59 pm »
Funny, you can buy one in Holland (+- 4 days...) but not in Germany.

I paid e80, which may explain the reluctance to seek out stock of course, given so far I've not received one. Still, I'm not losing a lot of interest on the money at present or in the forseeable future!

Mike

Samuel D

« Reply #22 on: 05 February, 2016, 08:41:31 am »
Like many of you’ll, I’ll be very interested to hear how this lamp works. In particular, what the beam shape is like (since the reflector appears to be a new design), whether the light quality has changed at all (e.g. less blue), and how the switch works.

For this sort of money you can get an Edelux II of known reliability, fuss-free operation, timeless good looks, and pretty good light output. Not an easy choice.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #23 on: 05 February, 2016, 08:51:41 am »
The light might be great but mounting it behind a calliper brake with that bracket will need multiple washers, longer nuts and much faffing about before giving up and swapping it for a nice short thin one.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #24 on: 05 February, 2016, 02:35:26 pm »
But the long bracket and swivelling collar will make it easier to mount downwards from the steerer tube.