Author Topic: Championship Points 50% rule  (Read 4730 times)

Re: Championship Points 50% rule
« Reply #25 on: 19 February, 2021, 08:11:53 pm »
Ignoring whether the championship should be part of Audax.
Several people who have won Audax championships have done so while holding down a full time job. So don't assume all winners are idle rich.

« Reply #26 on: 20 February, 2021, 05:58:58 pm »
Does the 50% rule favour the idle rich, and you have a better chances of winning depending upon where you live. Why no regional champions.
I remember a saying that in Audax everyone was a winner, so why the championship .
One way to level the playing field is have  52-6 of holidays etc. Thats 46 week ends for submitting claims of 2 per week, letting everyone with a job have a chance.
It will depend upon who does more longer audaxs, still gives the idle rich an advantage as they can have long lie in on a Monday.
 I never bothered about points as i live in Scotland, and the old mad Audax season from February to June /July was perfect training for cyclo camping tours abroad.
George Berwick may have won a few championships, you could say he was a professional cyclist as Margaret was the bread winner 😄.

So if you have a job, you have no chance of ‘winning’ the championship? That’s odd because the last two winners both have full time jobs as I’m certain previous winners will have had. I think it’s simply a case of setting your mind to achieve a goal then going out and doing it.

« Reply #27 on: 20 February, 2021, 11:35:40 pm »
Not all jobs are 9-5, lots of variables in the working conditions. I was lucky, having good contracts and plenty of free time between new work starting up. Some people work a month or week or two on and off you could say they were the idle rich when on leave 😁

« Reply #28 on: 21 February, 2021, 11:58:55 am »
Idle

adjective

(of a person) dedicating a substantial amount of time, effort and planning to a task.
"idle AUKs"

Similar: lazy; indolent; slothful; work-shy; shiftless; loafing; inactive; inert; sluggish; lethargic; languorous; listless; torpid; remiss; negligent; slack; lax; lackadaisical; impassive; good-for-nothing; do-nothing; leisurely; bone idle; fainéant; otiose

« Reply #29 on: 21 February, 2021, 04:35:28 pm »
Audax made sure they were well taken care of by adding the words advisory to the route sheet🤭

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #30 on: 23 February, 2021, 01:25:24 pm »
I should probably point out it's not just paid employment that uses up people's time. 
There's also stuff like parenting to make it harder to get out (especially in exam season aka when the days are at their longest)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #31 on: 23 February, 2021, 05:44:07 pm »
Several people who have won Audax championships have done so while holding down a full time job. So don't assume all winners are idle rich.

But how effectively?  I once conversed with a past AUK Champion who admitted that he tended to spend Mondays at work curled up in a broom cupboard.  After a few years he 'retired' from Audaxing and the year after that, his workplace won the Queens Award for Industry.  ::-)
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll