Author Topic: New bike for Audax from Halfords.  (Read 3860 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Re: New bike for Audax from Halfords.
« Reply #50 on: 04 May, 2024, 08:42:41 pm »
Untitled by mark tilley, on Flickr

Ok, just so the 'panel' are kept up to date on the procedings, Delidroid did indeed make it to the start, and after the introductions, and a bit of a cautious start, the power supply to the legs was seemingly turned on, and we bowled along at an easy 20km/h. A comment along the way was something like ' it's funny, my legs seem to be getting stronger and stronger'! The optimistic 20-25 km ride, was ........extended, .....to include smooth tarmac, gravel, farm track, rough stuff, and canal path, oh and the odd hill,  ;D, .  Anyway , a good time was had by all, and a stirling effort, and a very respectable 45km.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #51 on: 04 May, 2024, 11:34:23 pm »
Nice one!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #52 on: 05 May, 2024, 08:37:21 am »
 :thumbsup:
the slower you go the more you see

jwo

« Reply #53 on: 05 May, 2024, 09:36:40 am »
I love the narrative arc of this thread.

Great work Del and Blodwyn.

« Reply #54 on: 05 May, 2024, 10:14:09 am »
Well done Delidroid. That bike looks as if it fits you pretty well.

« Reply #55 on: 05 May, 2024, 10:19:09 am »
Good stuff. Looks like a nice ride was had. :)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #56 on: 05 May, 2024, 01:36:46 pm »
Great start

« Reply #57 on: 05 May, 2024, 10:23:33 pm »
Well done both of you

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #58 on: 06 May, 2024, 06:59:17 am »

https://www.strava.com/activities/1378437082

This is the Strava entry for my first ever Audax.

Looks like I averaged 18.5kph.

I was running Schwalbe Marathon green guard tyres. I replaced them with Conti GP4k immediately after.

J

Having swapped your tyres, did your avg speed on the second Audax vastly improve?

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #59 on: 06 May, 2024, 08:57:33 am »
Congratulations

« Reply #60 on: 07 May, 2024, 08:34:02 am »
Thank you everyone.
an especial thank you to Blodwyn. I had a great time and I actually had no aches and pains the next morning apart from a sprained ankle.
this is an old wound which I had physio a couple of years ago for it. I suspect it was caused by me wearing clipless shoes on ordinary platform pedals.
the bike is almost set up. I shall use the advice I was given and fit a longer aheadset stem and narrower tyres.

I cant wait to get out again.

« Reply #61 on: 07 May, 2024, 09:16:35 am »
Great to hear about the ride.  Re tyres, it'd be interesting to hear comments about those. I use Schwalbe Road Cruiser 600 x 1.75 on the expedition tourer,  tough tyre but performs well at a fair price.  Good for use on our potholed roads.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #62 on: 07 May, 2024, 11:22:17 am »
Great stuff  :D

What we really want to know, Del, is how many tape measures, hunting knives, tenners and bungee cords you found on your ride with Blodwyn Pig!?

« Reply #63 on: 07 May, 2024, 01:36:29 pm »
Great to hear about the ride.  Re tyres, it'd be interesting to hear comments about those. I use Schwalbe Road Cruiser 600 x 1.75 on the expedition tourer,  tough tyre but performs well at a fair price.  Good for use on our potholed roads.

I have WTB Thickslick on the bike at the moment. Blodwyn also recommended mudguards. I don't know if they will fit over the tyres that look like balloons.

« Reply #64 on: 07 May, 2024, 01:48:39 pm »
Photo shows you hsve space for mudguards front fork and rear seat stay.  Chain stay being out of sight. This is for existing tyres.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #65 on: 15 May, 2024, 06:40:51 pm »
Today, himself was present on the second ride, a much more confident approach, seemingly attacking the hills with everything, until there was nothing left. A much 'lumpier' ride than the first, but also quicker. Just short of 55km, at an avg moving pace of 17.1 km/h. Spot on, i'd say, and there's a whisper that we 'may' see him on the club ride tomorrow evening. Chapeau!

« Reply #66 on: 15 May, 2024, 07:49:14 pm »
Just short of 55km, at an avg moving pace of 17.1 km/h.
I've been round a few Audax with a similar moving average, it doesn't allow much faff time, but there's no reason it isn't doable.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #67 on: 15 May, 2024, 10:56:16 pm »
Just caught this thread. What a good one it is! There's only one thing missing...

...what roadside flotsam and jetsam has BP found so far while out riding with Delidroid?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #68 on: 16 May, 2024, 06:35:03 am »
Nothing yet, I don’t think he knows about this, so schhhhhh!   ;D

« Reply #69 on: Yesterday at 06:37:33 am »
Just caught this thread. What a good one it is! There's only one thing missing...

...what roadside flotsam and jetsam has BP found so far while out riding with Delidroid?

This is a most unusual request. I'm one who usually returns home with pockets full of found objects.
we found nothing, but we stopped at the back of Rochester Castle so Blodwyn could thump his saddlebag because the squeaking noise was drawing the attention of the local tourists.

« Reply #70 on: Yesterday at 08:59:23 am »
Update from the Fat Lad at the back.
I'm explaining this because hopefully someone with similar questions I began this post with will benefit.

The Rider: As you can see from the photo of me I'm a "Model and an Athlete" in my mind well away from a Mirror which ruins my delusion. The first ride We covered 45 km.
I took a couple of apple slices which I didn't eat and a litre bottle of homemade drink. 1\2 apple juice to 1\2 water and a 1\4 teaspoon of salt. it looked like wee
but tasted worse. I drank most of it and never ate the cakes.

The second ride we covered in total (I included the distance to and from Home to the meeting point outside the Cyclopark) 58 km.
This time I carried plain water and no food. At about 3\4 mark, My strength was depleted. I wasn't in pain, just felt like I had suddenly run out of energy .
The day was much warmer and I was soaked in sweat so next time I'll take food and a bottle of wee. Riding with Blodwyn who to me is half robot fitness wise
the learning curve is straight up.

I'm most fortunate and grateful to be doing this with an expert who gave me advice about riding technique and small adjustments to my bike set up.
first ride I moved the saddle forward 10 mm (I'm an imperial Baby weighed in lb,oz but Audax is all Metric so I'll keep to that system). This ride I rotated the handlebars away from me by about 15 degrees and immediately the sore wrists, stiff neck and shoulders were cured.

The Bike: What have I done to convert a corner shop courier bike to a scorcher?
It's a Halfords £310 Carrera Parva Hybrid bike with an Aluminium frame and cast iron forks. I robbed my old fixie for most of the parts I changed.
The first thing I swapped was the saddle and seatpost. The saddle is a Brookes Cambium C17.
The seatpost I included so I can swap the saddle for the cheap original one for general duties. I think Thieves would find the Brookes one most attractive.
Swapping them is a quick and easy affair.

Handlebars. the original one was a straightish length of 660 grammes gas pipe. I replaced it with "Comfort" bars which put my hands at approximately 45 degrees.
The aheadset stem I changed from 50 mm reach to 100 mm. The grips which were a friction fit I replaced with ergonomic clamp on ones which can be used for an ashtray.
They made my hands and wrists sore after a few km's. I realised the problem was my hands were bent back like cats paws. I rotated the bars forward so my arms and hands were
inline. this not only cured the discomfort but my neck and shoulders felt much better.

The wheels are my only regret. they're 650B and  decent road tyres are rare. I replaced the original Kenda ones with huge baldy WTB thickslick ones. If You're buying a bike get 700C wheels
(Why do I get the feeling that I've just started a fist fight in the Pub)?

Full mudguards which Cost me an hour of my life I won't get back don't fit. The rear one pushes against the front mech and the stays have to bend around the rear brake.
Talking of brakes, this bike has disc brakes. I'm yet to see the advantage over rim brakes. perhaps it's because they're cheap Tektro single moving pad jobs which so far have demanded My attention weekly.

I have clipless pedals and shoes but so far I have kept to the platform pedals until I learn how to release my feet. The first and last time I used them, I remembered to twist my foot
after I crashed four times.

I hope dear reader this will inspire you who are thinking about having a go to do it. And to the Cyclists who can ride 1000 km with ease, I hope to join you soon
and a huge "Thank you Mate" To Blodwyn.

« Reply #71 on: Yesterday at 10:11:28 am »
A key part of Audaxing is learning how to manage eating and drinking to avoid running out of energy.  Managing energy  can be quite difficult as you have to set yourself up for eating and drinkin when you are not hungry or thirsty.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #72 on: Yesterday at 10:50:07 am »
The Rider: As you can see from the photo of me I'm a "Model and an Athlete" in my mind well away from a Mirror which ruins my delusion.

You're a perfectly normal size and shape. As are most of us here.

The second ride we covered in total (I included the distance to and from Home to the meeting point outside the Cyclopark) 58 km.
This time I carried plain water and no food. At about 3\4 mark, My strength was depleted. I wasn't in pain, just felt like I had suddenly run out of energy .
The day was much warmer and I was soaked in sweat so next time I'll take food and a bottle of wee.

Fill your bottle with whatever you find palatable. If you don't like the taste of it, you'll be less inclined to drink. If you have a mix of apple juice and water, you probably don't need the salt as well (there's already sodium in apple juice - not much but probably as much as you need unless you're seriously dehydrated; apple juice also contains potassium).

Likewise, food should be something you actually want to eat, that is easy to eat while on the move and is easily digestible. Apple slices are good. So are jelly babies.

The wheels are my only regret. they're 650B and  decent road tyres are rare. I replaced the original Kenda ones with huge baldy WTB thickslick ones. If You're buying a bike get 700C wheels
(Why do I get the feeling that I've just started a fist fight in the Pub)?

I'd be surprised if anyone disagrees with you on this. As you say, there isn't a great choice of road tyres for 650b wheels out there.

I hope dear reader this will inspire you who are thinking about having a go to do it. And to the Cyclists who can ride 1000 km with ease, I hope to join you soon

You will. I think you undersold yourself in your original post - you're obviously a lot more capable and confident cyclist than I took you to be from your self-description.  :)

It will take time to build up to seriously long distances but I did a 300 in my first full year of audaxing and some people have done LEL as their first audax so go for it.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #73 on: Yesterday at 11:08:56 am »
Just caught up with this thread.   :thumbsup:

I'd suggest that whatever concoctions you have in your bottle, it's worth having another one with plain water, just so you have the option.  It's also useful for things like pouring on your head when it's hot, rinsing foreign objects out of eyes and cleaning grazes.

Mudguards are, in general, worth the pain.

Clipless pedals is more of a personal thing (though the experience of falling off in embarrassing[1] circumstances once you think you've got the hang of them is almost universal).  I find them useful for keeping my knees straight (and as a safety feature on recumbents), but flat pedals and decent shoes can work just fine for many people.

As for brakes, single moving pad is standard for cable-operated discs.  I previously had a set of cheap Tektros that were capable enough at braking, but required constant tweaking.  Received wisdom seems to be that the Avid BB7 is the best of this type, and I've found them to be reliable and relatively easy to tweak.  There's a TRP mechanical brake that moves both pads at the same time which some people swear by and others swear at.  Otherwise, hydraulic brakes move both pads as standard, are lovely to use and tend not to require fiddling-with.  The main advantage of discs over decent rim brakes (eg. well-adjusted V-brakes) is that they work consistently in the wet, the braking power isn't inherently better.

[1] Falling over in slow motion in front of an audience at a pedestrian crossing is traditional, but I went for the underrated pratfall-into-a-bed-of-stinging-nettles option.

« Reply #74 on: Yesterday at 12:27:31 pm »
Not much stopping you putting a 700c wheelset on a 650b disc brake bike with that much clearance.