Author Topic: Southend Football  (Read 81701 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Southend Football
« Reply #125 on: 04 February, 2017, 09:52:23 pm »
Another very good result for The Bleeders today, beating Sc*nthorpe 3 - 1. Sc*nthorpe are still second, and Saarfend 6th, but the teams above them seem to be shedding points quite regularly.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #126 on: 22 February, 2017, 07:54:09 pm »
A 4 - 1 away win against Peterborough yesterday is pretty impressive. Saarfend now 5th, Peterborough 9th in the table.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #127 on: 04 April, 2017, 10:45:13 pm »
Southend (form LWWWW) were hosts to Bolton Wanderers (WWWWD) this evening. Bolton were second, Southend 5th. I think it must have attracted the biggest crowd of the season at Roots Hall.

As I cycled home from my choir practice, the ground was emptying. I gained the impression that the atmosphere was a bit subdued. When I arrived home I saw why.

Southend  0 - 1 Bolton (Mark Beevers 90 +0:56)

Edit: I have read that the crowd was 9340.

« Reply #128 on: 15 April, 2017, 03:37:51 pm »
I see my lot gave a boost to your team's points and goal difference totals yesterday, seems !Ike the Spirited have given up defending for Lent this year. League 2 here we come.

" One Cup Of Tea Is Never Enough But 2 Is One Too Many " - John Shuttleworth

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #129 on: 15 April, 2017, 10:49:18 pm »
Chesterfield? Yes, quite a capitulation. Saarfend have had some very impressive wins this season. Still don't see them getting promoted though.

« Reply #130 on: 15 April, 2017, 11:28:22 pm »
Yep! Chesterfield!! Da***d  autocorrect got the better of me, again. How in the name of wonder did it convert Spireites to spirited, some sort of digital Babelfish malfunction I suppose.
At least you can dream for a while yet .I think my lot are  (channels John Laurie)  Dooomed!

" One Cup Of Tea Is Never Enough But 2 Is One Too Many " - John Shuttleworth

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #131 on: 16 April, 2017, 12:32:50 am »
I don't support Saarfend. I don't like football. I happen to live very close to the ground so take an interest. The club chairman is only there to try to move them to a totally inappropriate out of town stadium and build a supermarket on the existing site.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #132 on: 30 April, 2017, 11:14:04 pm »
The season seems to be over. Saarfend finished in 7th place, 1 point behind Millwall. Millwall are in the play-offs, Southend are not. Southend had the better goal difference as well.

I notice that some large, shiny hoardings have been erected advertising the fact that SUFC are moving their training ground to the Fossetts Farm site, the place they have applied for their 22000 seat stadium. http://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/planning-application-submitted-3697081.aspx refers. We have been here before. Planning permission was sought, and granted, for a stadium several years ago. The development didn't go ahead, IIRC because Mr. Sainsbury decided that he already had one house of toothy comestibles in Southend and another would have been gilding the lily rather. This decision may have coincided with 2008 and all that.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #134 on: 21 May, 2017, 01:29:05 pm »
I see that Millwall, who pipped Saarfend for the 4th play-off spot when they managed to squeeze a winner in the last few minutes of their final match (4 - 3 v Bristol Rovers; 1 point in it and Saarfend had the better goal difference) have won the play-offs and will be in the Championship next season. I understand that Millwall also have stadium issues and that someone representing the club is standing in the general election.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #135 on: 22 May, 2017, 05:41:24 pm »
Didn't Millwall use to be in the old First Division in the late 70s or early 80s?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #136 on: 22 May, 2017, 11:20:05 pm »
Not that I remember, but my memory of football is probably better of the 1960s and 1970s as I took an interest then.

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Millwall_F.C._seasons refers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988%E2%80%9389_in_English_football#First_Division

Yes, you are right.

« Reply #137 on: 22 May, 2017, 11:27:23 pm »

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #138 on: 23 May, 2017, 12:01:39 am »
Millwall were in the Championship a couple of years ago. The sound of their support singing "No one likes us" is one of the most spectacularly chilling things I have heard.
It is simpler than it looks.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #139 on: 23 May, 2017, 09:31:49 am »
So I was a decade out!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #140 on: 11 August, 2017, 06:42:51 pm »
Southend's season has begun curiously.

SUFC 2 - 1 Blackburn Rovers (League 1)
SUFC 0 - 2 Newport County (EFL Cup)

I have never knowingly heard of the EFL Cup before but to beat one of the very successful teams in the first few years of the premiership, and then lose to Newport, who the last time I looked weren't in the league at all, is ... interesting.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #141 on: 11 August, 2017, 07:02:54 pm »
I don't really know much about foop-ball, but I believe that some clubs field completely different teams for cup competitions that they are not really that interested in, particularly if they wish to concentrate limited resources on the league and promotion  The FA take a dim view of this, but it is difficult to prove that a club aren't trying.   As perennial Nearly Boys, this was probably what they decided to do.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #142 on: 24 September, 2017, 02:28:18 pm »
The League Cup.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #143 on: 24 September, 2017, 02:33:45 pm »
The League Cup.

Is there something I should know? I thought Southend were knocked out by Newport a month or more ago?

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #144 on: 24 September, 2017, 02:40:56 pm »
You said you'd never heard of the EFL Cup. It's the League Cup. it has been around since 1960.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #145 on: 07 January, 2018, 12:48:10 am »
Saarfend seem to be sinking fairly rapidly at the moment. They lost 3 - 1  away to Northampton this afternoon, both sides having been knocked out of the FA Cup early on. Northampton are well into the relegation zone, Southend a few points above of them.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #146 on: 14 January, 2018, 07:06:44 pm »
Another loss, this time to Fleetwood. 4 on the trot.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #147 on: 20 January, 2018, 02:21:06 pm »
A key match at the bottom of the table today. Rochdale v Southend.

Each side has lost its last 4 matches. Southend won the match before those, Rochdale drew theirs. Rochdale are deeply embedded in the relegation zone, 9 points behind Southend, who have ony 6 teams below them and a 2-point buffer.

So at least one of those teams will have a better result than recently!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #148 on: 20 January, 2018, 04:31:10 pm »
Unless the game is postponed due to a waterlogged pitch...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #149 on: 27 January, 2018, 04:59:24 pm »
I just heard some loud celebratory-type sounds emanating from the football ground as I was having a wander round with the dog. My interpretation was that Southend had been awarded, and had scored from, a penalty (big shout, a hush and then a very big shout) but this has not been confirmed by my electronic devices. The score remains at Southend 2 - 2 Scunthorpe, which seems have been the case for most of the second half.

Edit: a very late goal (90" +2") does indeed seem to have won the game for The Bleeders but it doesn't seem to have been a penalty.

Another edit: that is a very good win for Saarfend, who have lost their previous 4 matches. Scunthorpe are 4th in the division, compared to Southend's 20th at the start of the game. Scunthorpe's season appears to be coming unravelled somewhat as their last win was 5 games ago.