Author Topic: 2017 AUK Reunion  (Read 22316 times)

Lee Killestein

2017 AUK Reunion
« on: 21 August, 2017, 09:35:18 am »
Possibly a little bit early to be thinking of this but: Does anybody know if there will be an AUK reunion this year, and if so where and when?

Re: 2017 AUK Reunion
« Reply #1 on: 21 August, 2017, 10:04:18 am »
Yup - 3/4/5th Nov at Llandrindod Wells.

Details in Arrivee ...

Lee Killestein

« Reply #2 on: 21 August, 2017, 10:19:08 am »
Great, thanks. Is that the latest edition? I haven't had mine yet.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 21 August, 2017, 12:37:15 pm »
3-5th Nov? That's sub-optimal
http://www.aukweb.net/events/?From=30%2F10%2F2017&To=1&Days=&Category=&Dist_min=&Dist_max=&Aaa=&Region=

:(

(Meanwhile - the website has nothing about the 2017 reunion, and says Arrivee is due early September :P )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

megajoulesexpenditure

« Reply #4 on: 21 August, 2017, 01:39:33 pm »
 :'(  That's a real shame. We had hoped to go this year but I have my event to run that weekend (as have a few other's by the looks of it). I do wish we could have a little more notice of the reunion date nowadays :-\

« Reply #5 on: 21 August, 2017, 02:10:00 pm »
:'(  That's a real shame. We had hoped to go this year but I have my event to run that weekend (as have a few other's by the looks of it). I do wish we could have a little more notice of the reunion date nowadays :-\

Agreed Lucy.

It's certainly not the first time it has happened, and it's not as if the calendar isn't visible to those making the final decision.   
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Lee Killestein

« Reply #6 on: 21 August, 2017, 02:28:37 pm »
I was looking forward to attending the reunion this year, hence my asking the question, but if it's definitely that weekend I won't be able to go. I have a prior engagement on the 4th, Blacksheep's 200!!

« Reply #7 on: 21 August, 2017, 02:46:21 pm »
3-5th Nov? That's sub-optimal
http://www.aukweb.net/events/?From=30%2F10%2F2017&To=1&Days=&Category=&Dist_min=&Dist_max=&Aaa=&Region=

:(

(Meanwhile - the website has nothing about the 2017 reunion, and says Arrivee is due early September :P )

Perhaps they're hoping no-one will attend.

megajoulesexpenditure

« Reply #8 on: 21 August, 2017, 03:34:32 pm »
There's also no dinner darts in the calendar which usually gives a marker as to when it will be. Are these not running this year?

« Reply #9 on: 21 August, 2017, 04:05:02 pm »
It's the same as last year. Details in the Arrivee that's out in August.

Didn't know the darts were in last year's calendar because I didn't go on them.

Wheels are in motion ... reckon there'll be more info here soon.

« Reply #10 on: 21 August, 2017, 04:07:53 pm »
I was looking forward to attending the reunion this year, hence my asking the question, but if it's definitely that weekend I won't be able to go. I have a prior engagement on the 4th, Blacksheep's 200!!

Thank you Lee, you and a few others are on the start list.

Is it the free firework displays put-on for your entertainment during the final 20km,  or the free brekkie?
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Lee Killestein

« Reply #11 on: 21 August, 2017, 04:11:48 pm »

Is it the free firework displays put-on for your entertainment during the final 20km,  or the free brekkie?

I'll take the free brekkie option please Mark. The staff at the Royal Hop Pole are always so happy to see us at 7:00am!

« Reply #12 on: 21 August, 2017, 04:22:26 pm »
Following discussions at the last board meeting in July, I had it in my diary as *likely to be* the weekend of 24/25/26 November. I don't know if things have changed since then.

« Reply #13 on: 21 August, 2017, 04:41:23 pm »
Following discussions at the last board meeting in July, I had it in my diary as *likely to be* the weekend of 24/25/26 November. I don't know if things have changed since then.

I should imagine thats a bit toooo close to Chr1$#m@$. The costs at the hotel are probably a bit higher.
Which begs the qusstion why isnt the reunion in january when hotels are only too pleased to let-out rooms at (virtually) cost.

« Reply #14 on: 21 August, 2017, 04:47:41 pm »

Clearly they have. Confirmed as w/e of 3/4/5 Nov, as GDS said up there^^^.

megajoulesexpenditure

« Reply #15 on: 21 August, 2017, 04:53:10 pm »
No it's not the 'same' as last year apart from it's late notification. If the date had been the same I could have avoided running my event that weekend >:(

« Reply #16 on: 21 August, 2017, 05:00:56 pm »
No it's not the 'same' as last year apart from it's late notification. If the date had been the same I could have avoided running my event that weekend >:(

Agreed Lucy.

The events national coordinator of the day on the last occasion this happened, they had the grace to contact organisers to ask if they wanted to avoid the date clash of AUK's making.

« Reply #17 on: 21 August, 2017, 05:26:13 pm »
Sorry - my 'same as last year' comment is ambiguous. I was referring to the way the event would be notified as far as most members are concerned - via a notice in Arrivee.

I have little idea of what goes on behind the scenes with regards to organising the reunion, but I have discovered that this year's date change was prompted by issues at the venue.

« Reply #18 on: 23 August, 2017, 08:30:22 am »

I should imagine thats a bit toooo close to Chr1$#m@$. The costs at the hotel are probably a bit higher.
Which begs the qusstion why isnt the reunion in january when hotels are only too pleased to let-out rooms at (virtually) cost.
[/quote]

Clearly you have forgotten  (or were not there that year) the January Scarborough weather at the 2006 AGM weekend. Snow joking

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #19 on: 23 August, 2017, 06:43:26 pm »

Higher risk of ice/snow/frost and other fally-down conditions.

I think this WAS discussed at one of the AGMs

« Reply #20 on: 23 August, 2017, 10:03:53 pm »
Clearly you have forgotten  (or were not there that year) the January Scarborough weather at the 2006 AGM weekend. Snow joking
Nope, wasn't there, but was at York twice - snow a couple of feet deep walking into to from venue bother times. Same a couple of times at Llandrindod, rained on Saturday then hard frost, ice rink . Guildford,  patchy ice/snow.

It's only one weekend - don't ride the bike, there's plenty of other outward activities to do.

It's not as if there's any dinner darts this year - they missed the calendar deadline.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #21 on: 24 August, 2017, 07:07:20 am »
Had fond memories of Llandod AGM a few years back, even if the roads were skaty for the After Dinner Dart.  But can't make it this year as am working in Europe Mon - Fri so Mrs CET is understandably wanting me to be at home Sat-Sun.  Enjoy!  There are Cambrian Series permanents set up (especially 1A, 1B, and 1C) for those who want to add a couple of AAA points whilst going to the Reunion
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #22 on: 25 September, 2017, 12:22:33 am »
Who's going?
Anyone considering a TINAT recce as it in the vicinity?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #23 on: 29 September, 2017, 03:15:40 pm »
'Booking soon via the Auknet website', but when?
I keep looking!

« Reply #24 on: 29 September, 2017, 03:20:19 pm »
'Booking soon via the Auknet website', but when?
I keep looking!

Sure it'll appear soon.  By now in the Pam Pilbeam days it would have been almost fully booked. !