Author Topic: Reduction in takeaway calories!  (Read 6290 times)

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
Reduction in takeaway calories!
« on: 06 March, 2018, 10:27:11 pm »
Just watching the news and McDonald's and other fast food chains have agreed to cut calories in meal choices. Do they have any idea that there is a select group that scan menus for the highest calorie options.

"Go large sir?"
"yes and a cheeky big mac on the side. Oh and extra chips please"

Is more like it. Goole Macdonalds and Wetherspoons in York you have been warned.

BB

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Reduction in takeaway calories!
« Reply #1 on: 06 March, 2018, 10:46:38 pm »
Having read the news item on Auntie's website, I think reducing meal size portions might not be the way to tackle obesity anyway. IMO it's constant snacking in the sedentary that is obesogenic.
A meal should leave the diner sufficiently full NOT to be searching for the next dessert or snack.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 07 March, 2018, 12:13:48 am »
Having read the news item on Auntie's website, I think reducing meal size portions might not be the way to tackle obesity anyway.

Having watched some baby-boomers eat, it doesn't seem like a terrible idea, thobut.

Not that shrinkflation is necessarily the way to do it.

« Reply #3 on: 07 March, 2018, 07:09:43 pm »
KFC led the way in extreme cutting of portion sizes

« Reply #4 on: 07 March, 2018, 08:32:21 pm »
I wonder if the fast food merchants will be reducing their prices along with the reduction in portion size?

Most people only get takeaways now and then , this idea is a waste of bureaucracy.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 07 March, 2018, 08:39:01 pm »
Of course not!
Raw material cost is only a small proportion of their cost and a small portion will probably cost them over 90% of the cost of a large one.

(OT IME All jars of Hellmann's Mayo cost £2 from Sainsbury's, be they 200, 400, 600 or 800 grams or ml.)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: 07 March, 2018, 08:43:01 pm »
I wonder if the fast food merchants will be reducing their prices along with the reduction in portion size?

Most people only get takeaways now and then , this idea is a waste of bureaucracy.

It's the message that is just as important. Food makes you fat. Eat less.
It is simpler than it looks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 07 March, 2018, 08:56:29 pm »
I think I read that 25% of people's food is eaten away from home. This would make takeaways a substantial contributor to calories.
For other people.

I don't think we have as much as 10% of our food 'out'.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 07 March, 2018, 08:58:36 pm »
I think I read that 25% of people's food is eaten away from home. This would make takeaways a substantial contributor to calories.

That's mostly lunch during working hours, surely?

whosatthewheel

« Reply #9 on: 08 March, 2018, 12:27:50 pm »
You must have iron stomachs...
A few weeks back I had a full English at a greasy spoon half the way through a 100 km ride... average speed on the way there 17 mph... on the way back 14. I was spending all of my energy to digest the damn thing. If I too kthe habit of stopping at McDonalds, I'd probably be unable to continue.

It's what prevents me from entering long X-rated events... the amount of junk one has to eat in these 24 hours is beyond my ability to process it

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 08 March, 2018, 01:26:51 pm »
I couldn't process much fat on the move either. I know some folk can. I don't think I ever had chips when Audaxing.

McD's can supply hot chocolate, orange juice, egg McMuffins and their little 2oz hamburger.

These can feed & warm without overloading.

Most chains have their menus and nutritional information available online. You could plan stops and feeds in advance on many x-rated rides.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11 on: 08 March, 2018, 01:27:42 pm »

In terms of calories consumed it doesn't matter whether it's Friday night fish and chips, Saturday afternoon burger or Monday lunchtime sandwich and coffee from Pret, does it?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 08 March, 2018, 01:30:59 pm »

In terms of calories consumed it doesn't matter whether it's Friday night fish and chips, Saturday afternoon burger or Monday lunchtime sandwich and coffee from Pret, does it?

No but a sandwich from Pret won't usually have as many calories as the fish'n'chips.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13 on: 08 March, 2018, 01:36:57 pm »
No but I mean the calories depend on the food not on when it's eaten. And some people do have burgers for lunch at work!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #14 on: 08 March, 2018, 02:09:17 pm »
let's put it in another way...

I wouldn't want my Audax achievements to come at the expense of my health... it might well be that a "one off" visit to McDonalds won't increase my chances of a bowel cancer by any significant decimal, but why risking it if I don't even enjoy the experience?

I am pretty sure the feckers can stuff north of 20 ingredients even in an egg muffin

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 08 March, 2018, 02:10:56 pm »
The enjoyment of McDonalds in an audax context usually stems from it being indoors and having loos.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #16 on: 08 March, 2018, 02:26:32 pm »
No but I mean the calories depend on the food not on when it's eaten. And some people do have burgers for lunch at work!

ISTR there are 240 kcal in a small, basic 2oz Hamburger.

Which is fine.

Nobody is forced to have a Big Mac Meal, though the pricing structure may encourage this.

ETA just checked, it's 250kcal.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #17 on: 08 March, 2018, 02:56:02 pm »
Food is as much about morale as sustenance, I find.

Macdonalds only saving graces are loos and coffee (in whichever order :) )

It's a visit to a late night chippy that will keep you warm you through the night.

« Reply #18 on: 08 March, 2018, 03:03:23 pm »
I'd never plan on going to a McD's during a ride but if the choice at the time is McD's or DNF then it's not a hard choice.

Chicken rather than beef though.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

whosatthewheel

« Reply #19 on: 08 March, 2018, 03:10:49 pm »
From a male perspective (how sexist!) loos are not a priority... in fact I prefer to avoid them... the chances of coming into contact with a nasty strain of resistant-to-everything e-coli out in the wild are almost zero... the same can't be said of some public toilets.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #20 on: 08 March, 2018, 03:32:40 pm »
The loo situation for women makes a McD seem wonderful in cooler/windier/wetter conditions.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #21 on: 08 March, 2018, 04:23:16 pm »
The topic of public loo is a potential black hole... so to speak.
However, if you allow me a disgusting interlude, I still wonder how can faeces end up on public loos walls, often at a more elevated point than the one they most likely came from.
Does it happen only in male toilets?

« Reply #22 on: 08 March, 2018, 04:38:15 pm »
The loo situation for women makes a McD seem wonderful in cooler/windier/wetter conditions.

I'm an old hand at Glastonbury but having visited a McD's in the middle of Rhyl at 5am on a Saturday.....lets just say I was very grateful to get down the road and my audax kit includes loo roll  :hand: :sick: :sick: :sick:

« Reply #23 on: 08 March, 2018, 05:09:48 pm »
4am in a warm McD’s eating porridge and drinking coffee ticks my nightriding Audax boxes
Eddington Number = 132

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 08 March, 2018, 05:12:51 pm »
However, if you allow me a disgusting interlude, I still wonder how can faeces end up on public loos walls, often at a more elevated point than the one they most likely came from.
Does it happen only in male toilets?

(click to show/hide)