Author Topic: I carried this on my bicycle  (Read 215394 times)

Re: I carried this on my bicycle
« Reply #200 on: 04 October, 2012, 10:31:38 am »
I've got Scouts attending our County Badge weekend at Pikes Pool near Bromsgrove.

http://goo.gl/maps/zdoqV it's one of our camp sites, and is a nice relaxed 15 miles from my house.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #201 on: 11 October, 2012, 04:59:10 pm »
Not as impressive as some of the others on this thread, but it took some ingenuity.  I went up to Corridori to collect a wheel, and took an old wheel for a new rim to be fitted.  As it happens, Paul Smith managed to true the old wheel effectively, and so I had two wheels to carry down the hill.

Four toestraps, an old innertube, and a couple of bag straps later:

I admit that, given the load and the weather, I didn't go down South Banstead Road for my usual 50kph.

This afternoon, I went to the stupidmarket with a tourer bearing front and rear racks, but no panniers :-[  I managed.

I think the Romany now knows what it is in for as a utility load lugger.  Hope it enjoys the cycle camping.
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #202 on: 11 October, 2012, 05:06:12 pm »
I need to take a photo next time I order something innocuous from eBuyer.  That inevitably involves gigantic boxes of mostly air, stealth carding by parcel force and a trip to the post office with all the bungees where I regret not bringing the trailer.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #203 on: 11 October, 2012, 05:10:50 pm »
Yesterday, I bought a new cover for our greenhouse.  I couldn't find any bungees, and the box wouldn't fit in my pannier.  Fortunately, when I got it out of the box, it fitted (just) into my Altura Orkney.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #204 on: 11 October, 2012, 05:14:07 pm »
You have a greenhouse?  :o What do you grow in it -- I presume you plant scooter seeds and nourish them till they grow into fully formed tandems?  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #205 on: 11 October, 2012, 05:17:53 pm »
Our greenhouse contains mainly bikes.

Including two of the tandems.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #206 on: 11 October, 2012, 05:30:13 pm »
Treat them tenderly. Nourish and feed them but don't overwater them. You may plant baobab seeds particularly in Carradices. :D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #207 on: 11 October, 2012, 05:34:56 pm »
baoboab?   ;D

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #208 on: 11 October, 2012, 05:37:17 pm »
boabobb? baabodd? oddbodd? dodo?

« Reply #209 on: 12 October, 2012, 12:05:19 am »
I've got Scouts attending our County Badge weekend at Pikes Pool near Bromsgrove.
I ride to camp whenever I can. Doesn't usually work for summer camp, but for the annual Hertfordshire Patrol Activity Weekend (PAW) it's only 25-odd miles, so I dump the kit on the parents on Thursday and say "See you at camp". It's odd how much extra stuff you need for Scouts that you'd never take otherwise, though! I need front and rear panniers and more; I could manage with a couple of bags for a solo camp.

This year I also managed to ride to District camp (again, only 20 miles). I'm getting known for it :thumbsup:

« Reply #210 on: 14 October, 2012, 09:58:01 am »
I ride to camp whenever I can. Doesn't usually work for summer camp, but for the annual Hertfordshire Patrol Activity Weekend (PAW) it's only 25-odd miles, so I dump the kit on the parents on Thursday and say "See you at camp". It's odd how much extra stuff you need for Scouts that you'd never take otherwise, though! I need front and rear panniers and more; I could manage with a couple of bags for a solo camp.

This year I also managed to ride to District camp (again, only 20 miles). I'm getting known for it :thumbsup:

I'm an ADC now so the occasions when I'm bringing kit for the group are reducing to the point where even some of the more crazier campsites are becoming appealing cycle routes. I've cycled from Brum to Newant for a survival skills weekend on a friday night before but ended up getting there at midnight.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #211 on: 14 October, 2012, 05:25:11 pm »
I went up to Corridori to collect a wheel, and took an old wheel for a new rim to be fitted.
I've posted previously pictures of traditional clubman's wheel carriers, but for those who have not seen them:

To carry a rim, strap it to a spare wheel.

I have heard of flat cycle spanners being used instead, but the proper devices have bends to improve clearance from the front wheel. The old toe straps attaching the wheels to the bars are essential to prevent the wheels from dropping onto the road.

Once or twice, I've done a variation on this old picture from the comic (with a car-roof cycle carrier fitted to the trailer), but as above I used the carriers for the wheels, to keep the centre of gravity down; a Bike Hod can be less stable than some other designs:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #212 on: 14 October, 2012, 09:27:47 pm »
I did wish that I had some sprint carriers, but I managed. ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #213 on: 03 November, 2012, 07:43:56 pm »
I had the large trailer out today, after copicing the hazel tree in the back garden, I took 3 loads like this to the allotment for a bonfire later in the year. The long branches on top will be used for bean sticks.  :smug:

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #214 on: 03 November, 2012, 10:17:48 pm »
I had the large trailer out today, after copicing the hazel tree in the back garden, I took 3 loads like this to the allotment for a bonfire later in the year. The long branches on top will be used for bean sticks.  :smug:

Is that trailer made out of ally scaff tower rails? - It looks like it is....

« Reply #215 on: 04 November, 2012, 01:28:43 am »
Yep, At work they fail scafold tower bits if they have the slightest ding. It makes an excellent lightweight, stong Chassis and anything can be bolted to it with 2" exhaust clamps.  :thumbsup:

Moore details on our trailer page:smug:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #216 on: 12 November, 2012, 04:37:12 pm »
Not me, but someone else.

A youth carrying a small girl on his bike today. He was probably about 16, quite large and cycling strongly along the pavement, albeit on a mountain bike whose saddle was about 6 inches too low. She was sort-of sitting on his lap with one arm round his neck, he was holding on to her with his right arm around her. She almost gave the impression of being right under his arm she was leaning forward so much.

At first I didn't recognise her as a person: she was wearing a pink rucksack and in the pre-sunset gloom it took me a while to work out exactly what it was he was carrying.

I saw them twice, about a quarter of a mile form my house and then, as I parked the car, they cycled past again on the opposite pavement, so he must have crossed the road somewhere.

I hope he didn't drop her.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Nick H.

« Reply #217 on: 12 November, 2012, 08:37:21 pm »
Is this suitable for the group?  :D

Departing Dave Yates' with my handiwork:

« Reply #218 on: 12 November, 2012, 08:38:57 pm »
I remember a friend who routinely went to races with his road bike on a rack on his motor-bike. That was a complete bike of course.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #219 on: 12 November, 2012, 08:52:32 pm »

I suppose we could have an "I carried my bicycle on this" thread, but it wouldn't be as interesting :)

« Reply #220 on: 12 November, 2012, 09:19:35 pm »

I suppose we could have an "I carried my bicycle on this" thread, but it wouldn't be as interesting :)

I dunno, extra points for the first person to post a mule...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #221 on: 12 November, 2012, 09:38:13 pm »
Not sure about that, but you surely can't get much odder than carrying a bicycle on a person. Why would you do that?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #222 on: 12 November, 2012, 09:42:28 pm »
Left the puncture repair kit at home, I suppose.

ETA: Hang on, just spotted the mud.  Must be riding a Sustrans route and about to negotiate some kind of barrier...

(Anyone in possession of a photograph of me with a heavy recumbent balanced upside-down on my head from the last FNRttC to Felpham is welcome to start that thread...)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #223 on: 12 November, 2012, 10:34:16 pm »
Poor lass, someone's nicked her pedals.  And her shoes.  And all her clothes.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #224 on: 13 November, 2012, 12:21:21 pm »
And her mudguards. And her saddlebag. And her hub dynamo with cobbled-together, held-on-by-cable-ties, homemade lighting. It completely blows the illusion of wading through a ford on a winter midsummer audax.