Author Topic: Hailsham 400 - 7th May 2011  (Read 9815 times)

pompey phill

• OH UR !! it's only me !!
Re: Hailsham 400 - 7th May 2011
« Reply #50 on: 07 May, 2011, 10:22:19 pm »
saw Hummers at 18:15 by the duck pond in Crawley village, i don't think he was feeling that good  :sick: , but he's a tuff old bird he'll make it.   i was on my way to work in crawley village, so imagine my surprise when i see him coming up the road.
"Yer but this goes up to eleven !!!"

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #51 on: 08 May, 2011, 07:48:03 am »
Got towed to Burbage by Mr Warnock.  Foolishly carried on riding hard back into the wind so got back to Hailsham at closing time for shower and long sleep at Travelodge, thereby missing all the overnight rain.  Knew there was a reason for riding fast and light although we did look like survivors of Paris-Roubaix by the first control.

El Supremo as good as ever if not better.  Looking forward to Midhurst 600 already.
 ;D
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #52 on: 08 May, 2011, 08:45:07 am »
A full value event and those who went for the alternative route on main roads to Heathfied, you chose wisely. Dave Kahn and I had all sorts of adventures in that last 62k.

A great route though and this time of year, glorious countryside.

Thanks to El Supremo and the helpers for organising a great ride.

H

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #53 on: 08 May, 2011, 12:06:51 pm »
Moist.

Started well, despite the miserable weather for the first bit. Very pretty. Especially the house overlooking the lake at about 80k. It ended up being my fastest 200 yet at 9hrs 35 (don't laugh!).

On the return journey, it was becoming  clear that the weather had more in store for us. A lot more. It was filthy. I was so glad to reach the control at petersfield (even though the descent into steep in torrential rain was a little hairy) and the coffee did me the world of good. You could tell no-one was in a hurry to leave as the weather carried on chucking it all at us. Eventually people did, and the riding wasn't too bad. Kind of cool with the steam coming off the road.

Was having a few stomach challenges (I think because I did not eat a proper meal all day - part of the challenge with garages and el supremo feeds). I got to pease pottage and it was a scene of devastation with the world wrinkly hands competition going on as everyone's gloves were soaked.

I slept a little, decided I was not interested in getting a time, just to wait out the rain and head for home. Sort of worked. I slowed right down with dodgy stomach and an attack of the dozies.

I made it back for 7, which rather conveniently was before a really heavy downpour at 7.10 and also when the little chef opened.

Trains back are a challenge. I've ridden up to Gatwick to get a train home now. I thought about riding home (100k), but my heart wasn't in it at 50k - just want to be home with the other half now!

So, first 400 done. No real challenges other than stomach. Knees destroyed on the elenith with slipping seatpost didn't give me much trouble.

My right index finger is numb, and new bike looks far from new. Other than that, bring on the 600!

Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Simonb

« Reply #54 on: 08 May, 2011, 12:48:26 pm »
Moist and deflating. But lots of fun!

The ride out to Burbage was most enjoyable; had a fast start -- eventually caught (and dropped) by the Lewes fast boys, then caught (and dropped) by John Warnock and CET (they'd got lost in Lewes and ended up behind me). Yo-yo'd with another rider (and the even-more-puncture-prone-than-me Lewes boys) until Arlesford.

After 3 punctures I gave up going for a 'time'.

Had a rough time on the way back, particularly around the Wallops as there was no shelter from the headwind. Got thoroughly bored with my own company (and suffered another puncture). Thankfully I hooked up with a friendly bunch around Kingsworthy (Kenton May, Richard Thomas, Rob Bullyment, Matt Tapping) and we rode together until Hailsham, picking up -- and then dropping -- Liam Fitz on the way (sorry Liam!).

As others have said, it was pretty wet (but not particularly cold). Really came down hard on us just after Petworth.

Plenty of Saturday night oikishness about; including indecipherable grunts and a full-moon from a passing shopping car. Impressive!

Got back at 4am. Slept for 3 hours in the car and headed back.

The bike was a bloody mess (mostly from the skoggy outward leg) -- now clean!

Feeling a bit coldified, I'll have to shake this off before the Chapman on Saturday. Bring it on!

Anyhoo -- thanks to all for the company, encouragement, food, etc, etc, etc. Well done to everyone for pushing through a challenging night section -- you're a tough bunch!

:thumbsup:

Simonb

« Reply #55 on: 08 May, 2011, 12:57:09 pm »
Was having a few stomach challenges

Ditto for Liam and Richard Thomas.

Simonb

« Reply #56 on: 08 May, 2011, 12:58:14 pm »
Knew there was a reason for riding fast and light

You're telling me! What was JW riding -- looked very much like an out-and-out track bike (no bar tape!).

« Reply #57 on: 08 May, 2011, 12:58:45 pm »
Relatively painless 400.  Others have mentioned the rain, but it wasn't much more than warm drizzle for the most part, one exception being a heavy burst around 1am, at which time I was fortunately "sleeping" at Pease Pottage.   ;)  To counter that there seemed to be a tailwind for a large part of the route - certainly on the way out and increasingly on the way back as night fell.

My major mistage was cycling to Brighton Rail Station after finishing (because Sunday timetables were wreaking havoc with London trains).  Not really knowing the area, I'd drawn up a route purposely avoiding the Beacon, but it turned out to involve a lot more climbing than if I'd just bitten the bullet.  To cap it all, when I was struggling up yet another hill the heavens opened an I got truly drenched.  Oh well!

Thanks Dave and team for a great event as usual.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Martin

« Reply #58 on: 08 May, 2011, 03:02:39 pm »
glad you got your 400 Liam after last week's SA problems  :)

« Reply #59 on: 08 May, 2011, 04:19:46 pm »
A great day until about 350k when my batteries died and I dropped off the back of the group I'd been sitting in on.

I've never had this before but  I couldn't stop dry-retching....and all power deserted me.  I think it was my own fault for mentally saying around 240K that I had the stage to Petersfield beaten, which meant I had the ride beaten.  I clearly tempted the Gods who sent a flurry of endless hills to punish my hubris.

Slowed right down and grovelled in at 4.30.

Kip in the car - decided to rest eyeballs for 10 minutes - woken an hour later by someone else loading their bike in the car next to me.

BCM next week...I must star more rested than I did yesterday

Thanks to the chaps who dragged me around from Petersfield...

Thanks to Dave and team!

rob

« Reply #60 on: 08 May, 2011, 04:35:01 pm »
Started with a plan for a 22hr ride. 10hrs to Burbage and 12hrs back. Despite it being very wet for the first hour it was mild and we had a tailwind. This resulted in getting to Burbage a bit ahead of schedule. Spent mist of this leg with Matt Tapping and Richard Thomas.

We then turned into a headwind for 40k and it got a bit lumpy towards Petersfield. On this leg we picked up Kenton May and Simonb and we all worked pretty well together. I was entertaining thoughts of a 21hr ride at this point but, in hindsight, I was being a bit ambitious. We left Petersfield in the heaving rain with Liam added to the group. This leg was easy navigating to Billingshurst and then a few lanes to Pease Pottage, getting there at 11.45. No-one was very keen to leave but we pushed on about 12.15. The next leg featured some gnarly lanes, steady drizzle and some mechanicals.

Got back at 4.15. I took the call to drive straight home and was in bed at 6am. On the drive back I saw Liam coming in and a small bunch leaving Heathfield on the A267 - not quite sure where they were going.

Bike is filthy and in need if some new brake blocks.

Thanks to Dave and team.

Rob

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #61 on: 08 May, 2011, 04:41:27 pm »

Got back at 4.15. I took the call to drive straight home and was in bed at 6am. On the drive back I saw Liam coming in and a small bunch leaving Heathfield on the A267 - not quite sure where they were going.

Might have been us - taking the main road back into heathfield from chapel cross rather than chancing the lanes
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

rob

« Reply #62 on: 08 May, 2011, 04:47:42 pm »

Might have been us - taking the main road back into heathfield from chapel cross rather than chancing the lanes

Don't think so. It appeared that they had come into Heathfield from Cross in Hand and turned Right down the 267 to Hailsham. This would have missed the last bit of lanes and, more importantly, the info at Rushlake Green.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #63 on: 08 May, 2011, 06:41:46 pm »
A few pictures here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marcusjb/sets/72157626550700271/

I bought a little light camera recently, with the promise to take more photos on events - managed about 10 photos this time despite some lovely scenery etc.!
Right! What's next?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #64 on: 08 May, 2011, 07:31:04 pm »
Did you go through Crowborough. Or at least the edge of it and up to Rotherfield?

I was on a Tandem club ride and we saw a straggly bunch of riders there about noon.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Simonb

« Reply #65 on: 08 May, 2011, 09:16:40 pm »
we saw a straggly bunch of riders there about noon.

If they were riding it they must've been very lost!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #66 on: 08 May, 2011, 09:21:19 pm »
Knew there was a reason for riding fast and light

You're telling me! What was JW riding -- looked very much like an out-and-out track bike (no bar tape!).

Pretty much so.  Had a 96" gear.  Watching him flying past me up hills was something else. :o
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #67 on: 08 May, 2011, 09:28:10 pm »

Pretty much so.  Had a 96" gear.  Watching him flying past me up hills was something else. :o

He certainly is!
520 miles in the Mersey 24 last year. About 5 short of the British record. I think he was faster than Wilco (record holder) on the finish circuit. I reckon there's a chance he could get the record.

NRB

• I'm doing this for fun, not for charity
« Reply #68 on: 09 May, 2011, 11:13:59 am »
I'm afraid that things didn't go well. Mechanicals niggled away all ride and 2 punctures inside 40km used both my spares. Despite patching up I had hoped to pick up new ones on the way round. If there was anywhere open I missed it. Picked up Daniele from Sicily just after rice and tinned fruit at the turn point and all seemed to be going well (despite the onset of rain). Unfortunately we somehow missed the Ropely turning and went off on a detour that may have added 15km. That would have been ok, but on the run into Petersfield I punctured again. That's when I discovered that self adhesive patches don't hold when wet, so I struggled in with intermittent pump ups, planning to sort out at the 24 hr cafe. Sadly he was closed until 6.00am when we got there. A tacky kebab shop was the only open place and I realised that even if I did get a patch to stick I'd be at risk in the shop, I'd be at risk for the rest of the ride home, so we packed in.  :facepalm:

And a word of advice, if you have a choice, don't pack at Petersfield. It only had a Premier Inn - which was either full or didn't want wet cyclists. The rail station only had on platform seating as the waiting rooms were locked. Not the best experience I've ever had.   

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #69 on: 09 May, 2011, 11:31:35 am »
That's when I discovered that self adhesive patches don't hold when wet, so I struggled in with intermittent pump ups, planning to sort out at the 24 hr cafe. Sadly he was closed until 6.00am when we got there.

Sounds awful.  The non-24 hour cafe was a problem, but no failing on Dave's part.  Apparently it is normally open all night but on Saturday they were short staffed so those of us who were there waiting for the rain to die down were evicted at about 10.30.  Happily, Pease Pottage was open all night.  I don't think you were the only person to pack at Petersfield. there was one person who got his wife to come and collect him and I think there were some who simply took the most direct route back to Hailsham and skipped the next couple of controls.  A shame for Daniele too - I think I saw him on the first leg but I suspected he might be having a bad time as i didn't see him at any of the other controls.  Definitely a ride of two halves!
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #70 on: 09 May, 2011, 01:04:17 pm »
Sorry to hear of packing.  It really was grim out there in the night.  Especially if the garage at Petersfield was closed - really sorry to hear that for anyone as it was a very welcome stop after the appalling weather.  I'd have struggled (more!) without having had the chance to grab a warm drink etc. at that point.  Really unlucky timing for being short-staffed.

Was Daniele the chap in the little black beanie hat?

Right! What's next?

TimidPete

• Nothing to see here, just passing through
« Reply #71 on: 09 May, 2011, 01:21:59 pm »
Well that was a bit soggy, it was my first 400 for a while so as I'd mentioned before I had forgotten all the little details.

Starting in the wet wasn't too pleasant, I hate (with a passion) having wet feet, but the sun came out and soon I was jogging along quite happily, chatting to someone (I really should ask people their names) about downloading files and things, I have to admit that this technology stuff is a little beyond me, but then a route sheet is as well sometimes.

The Treacle tart at the first control went down a treat, and boiled eggs, a strange combination for breakfast but it did the trick, well until my front tyre went soft. Once repaired the back tyre joined in the act a few miles further on, Oh Joy, repairs and the art of dark mumbling kept my sprits on an even keel. Petersfield in the sun is a nice place despite the cycling refugees taking over the Tesco Metro. I met someone I'd cycled with last year there. A brief conversation before I headed off, the rumour that there were baked beans at the next control filled my legs with hope.

I made the control in a reasonable time and things were looking good, what’s more the beans, toast, rice and peaches (but not on one plate, one has standards) went down a treat. Refuelled and refreshed I set off to Hungerford, this was in totally the wrong direction, only realising my mistake in Hungerford. I had a complete and utter sense of humour failure at this point. The darkening of my mood coinciding with the darkening of the sky. I was not a happy bunny, in fact I was becoming a damp bunny and the descent though Steep was the low point. Petersfield in the rain is not a nice place. I sat there in the “24 hours but not today” service station thinking about taking up lawn bowls. The rain practiced being very wet. Eventually it was time to make the move into the wet and press on. What else is there to do on a Saturday night, I did so enjoy watching my, up to this point reliable, lights becoming sodden with water and then failing.  My heart felt thanks goes to the person (must ask names!) who lent me a back light.

After an age I reached Pease pottage, the land of the walking dead and other ner do wells. If I stopped now that would have been it so it was out into the cold and onto familiar lanes, shunning the  main roads for the frission of country lanes in the dark, and deer, loads of them running across the road in front of me, nice.

I wasn't planning on seeing dawn on Sunday morning but the plans of mice and men and all that. It was a joy to be back at the start. I should have slept in that car but that is another story.

Making heavy use of various soothing ointments today

What ho!

Timid

Simonb

« Reply #72 on: 09 May, 2011, 01:27:09 pm »
Petersfield in the sun is a nice place despite the cycling refugees taking over the Tesco Metro.

I wouldn't know. I was at the Tesco Metro in Arlesford.

TimidPete

• Nothing to see here, just passing through
« Reply #73 on: 09 May, 2011, 01:32:54 pm »
Ah I remember now, passed though there on the way back and thought it looked familiar, the soothing ointments have got to my brain (and not to soon some would say)

« Reply #74 on: 09 May, 2011, 05:47:35 pm »
. there was one person who got his wife to come and collect him

That might have been me....but I was only doing the 200k and that was the finish  ;D

The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.