Author Topic: [HAMR] What has Steve inspired you to do?  (Read 20092 times)

Re: What has Steve inspired you to do?
« Reply #25 on: 09 January, 2015, 10:28:44 am »
Work out flat routes through to Lancashire. There's some good fast riding up this way, cycling is very strong, and he could come up via the A41 and A49, as used on the Mersey Roads. It's a change to be thinking about routes that don't go up hills. it might shift the Audax focus away from AAA.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #26 on: 09 January, 2015, 10:33:17 am »
Sounds good ESL. Let the crew know what you've worked out.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #27 on: 09 January, 2015, 10:43:54 am »
To find out exactly where Milton Keynes is.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #28 on: 09 January, 2015, 09:49:56 pm »
So you can avoid it?
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #29 on: 09 January, 2015, 10:16:53 pm »
Not specifically.
I had imagined that it was further east, so was surprised that a day ride to Tewkesbury was possible.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #30 on: 12 January, 2015, 07:01:46 am »
Yesterday, while doing a DIY 200 I headed out into the wind. For the first 40km I quite often considered ditching the DIY and heading out into the wind by train for an easy return journey. The thought that Steve would do far more as 200 with the same sort of wind kept me on my bike and out of the railway station.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #31 on: 12 January, 2015, 10:07:25 am »
Now that the first full week has passed and Steve looks on track to do more miles in January than I did in 2014, I am now inspired to ride further and increase my annual mileage for 2015 - I'll start tomorrow (maybe) ;)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #32 on: 12 January, 2015, 11:10:34 am »
I think you'd struggle to come up with a varied daily diet of 200-mile rides on the Isle of Lewis, though, so you are excused. :thumbsup:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #33 on: 12 January, 2015, 11:46:43 am »
I went out and did 72 miles yesterday, half of which were into a gale force headwind which almost finished me off.  I then thought of what Steve was doing which helped lift my spirits a little.

Had an incredibly fast ride back though with the wind behind me and clocking 30mph in places even on the flat.

Keep up the good work Steve and will see you in Bournemouth at the end of the month.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #34 on: 12 January, 2015, 12:11:51 pm »
I think you'd struggle to come up with a varied daily diet of 200-mile rides on the Isle of Lewis, though, so you are excused. :thumbsup:

That's a relief  ::-)

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #35 on: 12 January, 2015, 08:05:18 pm »
Get back on my trainer. Been off my bike for a while.

« Reply #36 on: 12 January, 2015, 09:13:11 pm »
Follow the tracker ;D
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

hillbilly

« Reply #37 on: 13 January, 2015, 02:12:14 pm »
Chuff all at the moment.

Steve is doing what he was born to do.  You might as well be inspired by a dog licking its balls.

« Reply #38 on: 13 January, 2015, 02:34:07 pm »
I had stupidly said to a couple of mates last year that the Tough Mudder sounds like fun and the bastards only went and signed me up, paid for and everything. So I've got until June 20th to lose about 40lbs and get fit and strong enough.

So while he's not the inspiration behind doing this, thinking of what he's doing makes getting motivated to go out for a run when it's snowing/raining/windy and I'm already aching from yesterday's training, that little bit easier.

« Reply #39 on: 13 January, 2015, 05:54:51 pm »
I had stupidly said to a couple of mates last year that the Tough Mudder sounds like fun and the bastards only went and signed me up, paid for and everything. So I've got until June 20th to lose about 40lbs and get fit and strong enough.

So while he's not the inspiration behind doing this, thinking of what he's doing makes getting motivated to go out for a run when it's snowing/raining/windy and I'm already aching from yesterday's training, that little bit easier.

Good man!
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #40 on: 13 January, 2015, 06:17:16 pm »
Chuff all at the moment.

Steve is doing what he was born to do.  You might as well be inspired by a dog licking its balls.
Did you mean to post ths in the Mrs Miles thread?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

hillbilly

« Reply #41 on: 13 January, 2015, 07:21:18 pm »
Last time I put my post in Mrs Miles threads, she moaned at its length.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #42 on: 15 January, 2015, 02:41:21 pm »
If I get to the start line of Paris-Brest-Paris this year then I shall use Steve as my inspiration.

When the going gets tough I shall remind myself that Steve is doing the equivalent of 100 Paris-Brest-Paris rides, back to back, and to "stop whining".
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #43 on: 15 January, 2015, 02:59:39 pm »
I have now commuted 3 days in a row in awful weather - big mileage (2.1km each way) ;D

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #44 on: 15 January, 2015, 07:02:49 pm »
Knowing what Steve is up to has prevented me from chickening out of the commute these past two weeks of ghastly weather.

hillbilly

« Reply #45 on: 17 January, 2015, 03:30:29 pm »
I have to admit to thinking "what would Steve do" when pondering a bike ride at lunchtime, as sleet melted on the pavement.  Just back in front a chilly but braw ride  :)

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #46 on: 17 January, 2015, 03:35:18 pm »
As with IanG and Pancho upthread, Steve has inspired me to be more resilient about the commute.  I stand a chance of beating my record of 91% of all commutes by bike.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #47 on: 17 January, 2015, 05:11:40 pm »
Didn't feel like getting up for training today - forecast of rain after overnight subzero wasn't pleasant - but decided to stick to a main road bash along the CCB Wickham club run.  Might not have gone out if it wasn't for Steve's exploits.  Was rewarded with mostly fine weather (only 30 minutes of light sleet) and sunshine and a light tailwind on the way back.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #48 on: 18 January, 2015, 02:35:10 am »
We are certainly seeing what Audax can do if you are a supreme athlete. Steve is inspiring me to marvel at his progress. I am certainly pleased to have met him on Day 1 and to provide just a small amount to keep him going. Come the Spring and Summer, my Audax Calendar rides, assuming a surplus, will direct a boost to keep Steve going.

All I could do today was a hilly (2,75AAA) 200. Good job I late-started, as the lanes would have been lethal earlier with loose snow and ice not seeing the warming sun.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #49 on: 21 January, 2015, 10:48:26 am »
Eat more sausages.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.