Author Topic: [HAMR] Steve's Kit  (Read 54356 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Steve's Kit
« Reply #100 on: 26 January, 2015, 06:39:33 pm »
from my petrolhead days (i still am!), if you want to make a car go faster around the circuit the best "bang for your buck" upgrade is the brakes.
back on topic, due to the terrain and the areas he's riding i doubt that Steve is using his brakes a lot so it doesn't really matter how they perform (i'd have chosen rim brakes for this challenge, personally)

You'd be surprised how much he is using them, particularly atm with feathering them to avoid ice etc. I once "burnt" through a set of Ambrosio rims from brand new to that worn they split in 4500 miles. If Steve did that he be rebuilding a pair of wheels every 3 weeks!
I would still say that Steve will get a LOT less brake-wear than many/most riders e.g. those commuting with more stop-start,  and those riding in hillier terrain.

The very routes that are selected for high average speed will inevitably give less brake-wear!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

rr

« Reply #101 on: 26 January, 2015, 08:01:40 pm »
There have been several references to the time Steve loses putting on and taking off his layers, has he considered a Buffalo type one layer system with vents?

I have a bike-specific polaris version and wear it as my only top for several months from autumn to spring. I would have thought the Buffalo cycle shirt would suit Steve's low intensity style and could be taken on and off in a few seconds. Adjustments during the day by moving a zip.

I can't suggest a quicker way to do overshoes though.

« Reply #102 on: 26 January, 2015, 11:17:39 pm »
I keep seeing the thread title and thinking... is he? Really???

You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Steves Electrics
« Reply #103 on: 28 January, 2015, 04:37:37 pm »
And so it starts again. Just about to wake Steve before re-assembling this lot

I did think about asking mods to move this but just cut-n-x-posted

Bear in mind that Steve's having to lug that lot round with him every day... :(
AAA - 8 in use, for the 2 each for the rear lights and 4 for the spot tracker
AA - 2 in use plus 2 spare, Garmin Etrex
MicroUSB - Phone, one of the garmins (1000 IIRC)
Mini USB - The other garmin (500)
Round connector, don't know the size or polarity, for the USE Exposure headlight
Proprietary miniature 3 pin to USB lead - 2 x BBB front lights
And the powermonkey, with it's own charger, although the USE exposure fits and worked

The 7 port charger is good, but the lead situation could be improved as you can see from the photos. When travelling the leads are wrapped around the charger and stuffed into stored in his rack bag, 365 days of that treatment is bound to result in some failures. One for the boffins.
'Proprietary miniature 3 pin to USB lead'  - so my leads don't look home made.
Unplug the leads and pop them in a separate bag - the failure mode will be if they are constantly bent
Those two spare ports on the Bolse 7 port charger are being wasted.
The USE exposure fast  charger is 5 volts@2.8 Amps 11 Watts- Having Looked at the Bolse usb spec - Total load 60 Watts I am pretty sure it would supply this.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #104 on: 28 January, 2015, 04:58:29 pm »
Wow.  I'm drawn between thinking "what a mess" and not really seeing a way to substantially improve it.

I mean, it wouldn't be particularly challenging to design a neat unit to charge umpty AA and AAA batteries, while providing oodles of USB power, from a single mains plug.  But it would be untested, a single point of failure and probably not a substantial saving on weight/bulk.

And cables are cables.  They're going to fail at the strain relief, the question is when... I'm not sure that pre-emptive replacement would be worthwhile.  Carrying a spare probably isn't either, at least for the USB ones, which are fairly ubiquitous.

« Reply #105 on: 28 January, 2015, 05:04:00 pm »
Surely, a lot of this extra weight to be carried could be avoided by using non-rechargables? A wholesale box at Steves place and just change them every time he gets home. Even an emergency spare set of both AAs and AAAs would not weigh as much as all of that re-charging clobber?

« Reply #106 on: 28 January, 2015, 05:05:46 pm »
The Bolse is pretty good from a read of the spec it 'negotiates' power supplied. Whether it would charge the power monkey & USE light at full rate would require a quick experiment
= two wall warts less.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #107 on: 28 January, 2015, 05:07:13 pm »
Surely, a lot of this extra weight to be carried could be avoided by using non-rechargables?

Good question.  I assume someone has done the maths...

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #108 on: 28 January, 2015, 05:09:16 pm »
I don't think he ever stops pedalling.

I'm reminded of what he had as his sig here a year or two ago, and which is probably a fair mantra for this year - eat, drink, and keep bloody pedalling.

That's my quote that is  :thumbsup:

Someone once asked for tips on long distance cycling & I said "Just eat, drink, and keep bloody pedalling"  :)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

TGS

Re: Steves Electrics
« Reply #109 on: 28 January, 2015, 05:55:23 pm »
'Proprietary miniature 3 pin to USB lead'  - so my leads don't look home made.

;D No. Can you make me some!

« Reply #110 on: 29 January, 2015, 12:10:56 am »
And cables are cables.  They're going to fail at the strain relief, the question is when... I'm not sure that pre-emptive replacement would be worthwhile.  Carrying a spare probably isn't either, at least for the USB ones, which are fairly ubiquitous.

I'd probably be most concerned about partial failure of either cable or device USB socket, leaving the device drawing minimal current and charging either very slowly or not at all. Solvable easily by replacement (albeit a new device is a pain) - but only once it's been spotted. Diagnosis of a device that runs out of charge prematurely, yet appears to be charging OK when you check it, is a little bit of a pain.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #111 on: 29 January, 2015, 02:11:54 am »
All these rechargeable devices and batteries are fine when there is a decent break at night in a location with mains electrickery, but what happens when Steve's night rests get shorter or disappear completely - e.g. PBP?
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #112 on: 29 January, 2015, 06:50:10 am »
The nights will be shorter, so less battery consuming and there is nothing to stop him using non disposables for a day or week if that works for the conditions.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

TGS

« Reply #113 on: 29 January, 2015, 01:42:42 pm »
Wow.  I'm drawn between thinking "what a mess" and not really seeing a way to substantially improve it.

I was impressed by the charger as we have all sorts of USB gizmos littering the house. Turns out they are only £25 so I've ordered one. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00L2SBZ80
I might have to make a charging station.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #114 on: 29 January, 2015, 01:55:15 pm »
the cables and ports on both chargers and the devices could be colour coded for even quicker daily set up routine

« Reply #115 on: 29 January, 2015, 03:01:18 pm »
the cables and ports on both chargers and the devices could be colour coded for even quicker daily set up routine

Coloured Sugru is good for that, might be good for improving/weathertightening connections too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sugru-Multi-8x5g-Mini-Packs/dp/B00J0PW4RS

Leo

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #116 on: 29 January, 2015, 03:36:15 pm »
just wondering if umca require to upload gps active log to strava every day, how is Steve going to do that when riding pbp? will this be made an exception?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #117 on: 29 January, 2015, 03:41:11 pm »
The team has been assessing options to upload to Strava during PBP. It shouldn't be a major problem.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #118 on: 29 January, 2015, 03:51:03 pm »
Obvious option IMO would be for Steve to carry a smartphone with credit on a French network during PBP - you can upload from the Edge 1000 to the Garmin Connect app via Bluetooth, and Garmin Connect can be set up to auto-sync with Strava.

Of course, that would be one more thing to charge, but it would probably last the duration if kept switched off during the day.

Uploading the ride in stages at the end of each day would be as easy as switching on the phone and opening the app.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #119 on: 29 January, 2015, 03:53:45 pm »
And the front-running option has been identified, though a backup option for an alternative GPS will also be available.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #120 on: 30 January, 2015, 03:27:37 pm »
Following up here...

End of January.  Some minor French audax event has 16 topics and 391 posts.  One quiet bloke from Milton Keynes has 86 topics and 5158 posts. 

It's early days yet....

Besides, the Facebook page will proabaly take the brunt of those August posts like "HELP!! I qualified in May but in two months have forgotten where my bike is...what GPS should I buy to find it??!!!"

On which note, I've searched the threads, and I can't see a reference anywhere:  What colour valve caps is Teethgrinder using?

« Reply #121 on: 30 January, 2015, 06:15:34 pm »
On one of the other TG threads there was recent reference to vulnerability of garmin USB connection, I cannot find it now so replying here which looks the right place. 

Mine (800) failed last year on my RTW laid back ride, it got wet and corroded, and this is a common problem apparently. The connection still works ok for charging, but not for data. Fortunately it's easy to get round this issue by selecting to save ride data to the SD card rather than internal memory, then inserting the card into a card reader for upload to strava. I realise that I'm probably teaching granny to suck eggs here, but just in case not thought I should mention it...it would be awful to lose a day's toil like that!

GO STEVE GO!!!

« Reply #122 on: 30 January, 2015, 06:44:36 pm »
Card reader...just another thing for tg to carry....

« Reply #123 on: 30 January, 2015, 07:00:05 pm »

it's the size and weight of a USB memory stick and costs a few quid

« Reply #124 on: 30 January, 2015, 08:15:27 pm »

Is it MicroSD? If so, he might be able to put it in his phone to get the data off rather than carrying a separate widget.