Author Topic: [HAMR] Steve's Kit  (Read 54355 times)

Re: Steve's Kit
« Reply #75 on: 22 January, 2015, 07:59:23 pm »
Brilliant PR and proof of concept for Scwalbe and great of them to sponsor Steve.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #76 on: 22 January, 2015, 11:25:18 pm »
with the sora levers i take it he's using bb7 road calipers? are sora shifters there for redundancy in case the bar-end ones failed? iirc the drivetrain is 9speed, what range cassette is on the bike, is the replacement one the same? thanks swiss hat! :)

« Reply #77 on: 23 January, 2015, 07:01:37 am »
Tyres are 25. They measure up as genuine 25mm.

There are 6 off boxes each with 6 tyres in the bike room plus a few loose ones. What's the MRP £50 each? Schwalbe have been a generous sponsor by the looks of things. Steve says he likes the tyres as the roll well and have already saved him time with reduced p* fairy visitations.

Just out of curiousity, is anyone keeping a log of mechanicals / punctures - after a year like this it could make interesting reading, both for us as "fans" and also the sponsors/manufacturers?

« Reply #78 on: 23 January, 2015, 07:23:57 am »
A couple of points in the discussion about lighting and dynamo hubs:   

No dynamo hub that I am aware of is easily serviced if / when the bearings go but your average high quality front hub these days has 6001 2RS or similar cartridge bearings that could be replaced at the side of the road.   A box of SKF bearings in the fettling kit would allow most competent home mechanics to swap over a set of bearings whilst Steve eats, sleeps, or even stops for a fuel break if such things can be coordinated.   

The light output is totally restricted by what is currently available on the market.   Lots of battery lights pump out far more light that the best dynamo offerings at similar or lower cost.

Over the entire year the vast majority of Steve's riding will be in daylight rather than darkness.   I guess that there will be a period of time where Steve will not even carry lights, or just a couple of small 'be seen' lights because he's not scheduled to ride into dusk and darkness.   

Overall I reckon he's got the kit right for this particular challenge.

« Reply #79 on: 23 January, 2015, 07:51:12 am »
A couple of points in the discussion about lighting and dynamo hubs:   

The light output is totally restricted by what is currently available on the market.   Lots of battery lights pump out far more light that the best dynamo offerings at similar or lower cost.

Pumping out bright light is one thing, where it's being pumped to is another. I don't disagree with the light set up for this challenge. I had a chat with Steve when I road with him last week and it makes total sense.
But, I've got a cheap cree lamp with battery pack and it kicks out a lot of light, it's super bright, but only in a concentrated area. I've also got a Son hub and Lumotec IQ Cyco and the beam pattern/spread is superb.

« Reply #80 on: 23 January, 2015, 08:04:24 am »
Clearly not superb enough for Steve to choose it though.

I use SON/B&M dynamo and CREE/Hope/USE battery lighting setups and I conclude that I get more useable light from the battery setups but that I find the dynamo setups far more convenient for most of my cycling.     

Steve has made a choice based upon his preferences and I can easily see why.

« Reply #81 on: 23 January, 2015, 08:11:14 am »
The decision wasn't made based on the lights. It was based on hub vs batteries.

Like I said, I agree with his choice for this challenge. I was simply pointing out my experiences with the two.

« Reply #82 on: 23 January, 2015, 09:25:45 am »
with the sora levers i take it he's using bb7 road calipers? are sora shifters there for redundancy in case the bar-end ones failed? iirc the drivetrain is 9speed, what range cassette is on the bike, is the replacement one the same? thanks swiss hat! :)

The calipers on the 2 spare bikes are marked BB7_MTN. What's the difference between road and mountain calipers and how will they perform with the Sora levers (reduced cable pull an issue?)?
The Sora levers only have the brake cables fitted and are used solely for braking. Gear cables routed to bar-end levers. In the unlikely event of bar-end problems I can imagine Steve would secure cable to give suitable gear and ride on.
There are a stack of 11-25 HG-50 9 speed cassettes kindly provided by CRC. This looks like the std cassette for all bikes.

« Reply #83 on: 23 January, 2015, 09:35:05 am »
Just out of curiousity, is anyone keeping a log of mechanicals / punctures - after a year like this it could make interesting reading, both for us as "fans" and also the sponsors/manufacturers?

There are maintenance log sheets for each bike on the wall in the bike room. Steve's recorded a few notes on tyre issues so far ie major cuts. Chain & cassette changes have been noted. No major mechanicals to date afaik (touch wood). So the answer is yes but it does take time. 

« Reply #84 on: 23 January, 2015, 09:38:14 am »

The calipers on the 2 spare bikes are marked BB7_MTN. What's the difference between road and mountain calipers and how will they perform with the Sora levers (reduced cable pull an issue?)?
The Sora levers only have the brake cables fitted and are used solely for braking. Gear cables routed to bar-end levers. In the unlikely event of bar-end problems I can imagine Steve would secure cable to give suitable gear and ride on.
There are a stack of 11-25 HG-50 9 speed cassettes kindly provided by CRC. This looks like the std cassette for all bikes.

Hmm, well BB& MTN's need much more lever pull than the road version - but who knows if they work with the Sora levers - as you're there you can check them using the spare wheels I guess.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #85 on: 23 January, 2015, 10:19:50 am »

while it kind of works it's a suboptimal setup; the required cable pull is different resulting in mushy feel on the lever and increased noise from rotors as the pads need to be set up very close for brakes to be effective.
newer road brake levers from shimano/trp work fine with mtn calipers otherwise bb7_road are the ones to use, which crc as a sponsor could provide. :)

« Reply #86 on: 23 January, 2015, 11:35:53 am »

while it kind of works it's a suboptimal setup; the required cable pull is different resulting in mushy feel on the lever and increased noise from rotors as the pads need to be set up very close for brakes to be effective.
newer road brake levers from shimano/trp work fine with mtn calipers otherwise bb7_road are the ones to use, which crc as a sponsor could provide. :)

+1
Must have V-pull brake levers or get the calipers changed to road-pull

e.g. levers
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cane-creek-drop-v-brake-levers/rp-prod35189

I probably have a pair of Dia-Compe V brake levers knocking around in my garage ...... happy to donate ?

What brakes are on his current bike ?

Leo

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #87 on: 23 January, 2015, 11:39:40 am »
The most recent STI levers pull enough cable for V-brakes.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #88 on: 23 January, 2015, 11:46:45 am »
yes, so ideally it should be either recent sti levers or bb7_road calipers. Steve however is using old style sti levers which pull less cable.

« Reply #89 on: 23 January, 2015, 11:52:56 am »
It's a tubeless rim so presumably that's a genuine spare - for when the Hope hubs eventually drive him mad? ;)

That's unlikely - to drive him mad he would have to stop pedalling  ;)

« Reply #90 on: 23 January, 2015, 12:09:17 pm »
The most recent STI levers pull enough cable for V-brakes.
?
Could you post a link for that.

If they pull enough for V-brakes (20mm) they'd be rubbish for calipers (10mm ish)..... surely ?

Leo

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #91 on: 23 January, 2015, 12:10:49 pm »
The latest Shimano dual-pivot callipers require greater cable pull.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #92 on: 23 January, 2015, 12:27:43 pm »
The latest Shimano dual-pivot callipers require greater cable pull.
Ahhh  - makes more sense now .....

Quote from :

http://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/597661-shimano-6700-7900-brake-lever-pull-ratio-opinions-info.html

"Linear-pull / V-brake levers:
 Avid FR5 = 33mm
 Tektro RL520 = 33mm
 Dia Compe 287V = 30mm

Standard brake levers:
 Shimano 5600 = 20mm
 Shimano 6600 = 20mm
 Cane Creek SCR-5C = 21mm
 Tektro RX2.0 = 23mm

Shimano 6700 = 34mm (25mm if measuring shortest distance between lever pivot and the closest part of the cable) "

BUT also further down it says :
" 6700 (and 7900) levers have a different cable pull ratio in different parts of their sweep (I believe Shimano call this feature Servo Wave). "

Hence it may be awkward to set up to get the right feel.

Leo

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #93 on: 23 January, 2015, 01:27:11 pm »
"We build our cars to go, not to stop.  Let us hear no more of this foolish talk about brakes!"

- usually attributed to Ettore Bugatti, though some sources say Alexandre Darracq.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #94 on: 23 January, 2015, 02:06:20 pm »
from my petrolhead days (i still am!), if you want to make a car go faster around the circuit the best "bang for your buck" upgrade is the brakes.
back on topic, due to the terrain and the areas he's riding i doubt that Steve is using his brakes a lot so it doesn't really matter how they perform (i'd have chosen rim brakes for this challenge, personally)

« Reply #95 on: 23 January, 2015, 02:35:21 pm »
from my petrolhead days (i still am!), if you want to make a car go faster around the circuit the best "bang for your buck" upgrade is the brakes.
back on topic, due to the terrain and the areas he's riding i doubt that Steve is using his brakes a lot so it doesn't really matter how they perform (i'd have chosen rim brakes for this challenge, personally)

You'd be surprised how much he is using them, particularly atm with feathering them to avoid ice etc. I once "burnt" through a set of Ambrosio rims from brand new to that worn they split in 4500 miles. If Steve did that he be rebuilding a pair of wheels every 3 weeks!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #96 on: 23 January, 2015, 02:39:09 pm »
"We build our cars to go, not to stop.  Let us hear no more of this foolish talk about brakes!"

- usually attributed to Ettore Bugatti, though some sources say Alexandre Darracq.

Reminds me of something from my younger, more foolish days...

http://www.davesweboflies.com/search.cgi?id=QhM
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #97 on: 23 January, 2015, 03:04:26 pm »
You'd be surprised how much he is using them, particularly atm with feathering them to avoid ice etc. I once "burnt" through a set of Ambrosio rims from brand new to that worn they split in 4500 miles. If Steve did that he be rebuilding a pair of wheels every 3 weeks!

fair enough, every rider chooses according to their circumstances. in order to make the most out of your effort, you must be fit, get the nutrition right but also use the best available equipment which contributes to your goal. i heard this from another highly esteemed long distance rider and i fully agree.

« Reply #98 on: 25 January, 2015, 10:09:04 am »
There was mention of sorting a rattling rear mudguard in today's fettling.  What mudguards are on Steve's bike at the moment?
The sound of one pannier flapping

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #99 on: 26 January, 2015, 12:49:51 pm »
If Steve's Kit includes clothing I'd love to know how what items make up the many layers that he uses on the coldest days.