Author Topic: [HAMR] Hosting Teethgrinder  (Read 8636 times)

Re: Hosting Teethgrinder
« Reply #25 on: 12 January, 2015, 07:04:31 pm »
- Some of Steve's clothing is merino, so needs a cool wash and little or no tumble drying. Make sure you can get it dry by 4am when he'll be getting dressed.

Any suggestions how to dry clothing without using a tumble dryer assuming it's cold/wet outside?

I'd ask Mrs W but then I'd be in for weeks of piss-taking you see...
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #26 on: 12 January, 2015, 07:08:49 pm »
You can dry clothes by wrapping them in towels and then twisting the towel up to squeeze most of the moisture out. Then hang on a radiator.

I've used this technique for many cycling tours when staying in B&B's

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27 on: 12 January, 2015, 08:08:03 pm »
You can dry clothes by wrapping them in towels and then twisting the towel up to squeeze most of the moisture out. Then hang on a radiator.

Note that this requires your radiator to actually be on.  Hosts may have to fettle their heating timer to achieve adequate drying performance.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #28 on: 12 January, 2015, 08:33:04 pm »

Note that this requires your radiator to actually be on.  Hosts may have to fettle their heating timer to achieve adequate drying performance.

..Or hand it back to Steve and say "It's nearly dry" just before he has to leave.  :demon:

H

« Reply #29 on: 12 January, 2015, 09:06:47 pm »

..Or hand it back to Steve and say "It's nearly dry" just before he has to leave.  :demon:

H
Bad man Mr Hummers!

TGS

« Reply #30 on: 12 January, 2015, 09:43:09 pm »
Useful info LWaB, thanks.

If it has more than 750m altitude gain per 100km, it is definitely the wrong route.
One of the hosts (Andy H) lives in Blandford which is at the eastern side of Dorset - a region not renowned for flatness.

A 250 mile route from MK to Blandford with 650m of climbing per 100k is easy enough to find, and about right for early may's target. I would use the Tewkesbury leg that he's done twice already as the start. The highest part of the route would be atop the Northamptonshire escarpment near Priors Marston

A 40 mile approach to Blandford from Salisbury with less than 400m of climbing per 100k is also easy - Salisbury Ringwood Christchurch Wimborne then NCN25 to Blandford.

Dorset is only hilly in the hilly bits  :)

I reckon that hosts being available at 24hrs notice (or less) would be a useful option for Steve. The next best thing to the motorhome to take advantage of whatever the weather is doing at the time. 

Hummers

« Reply #31 on: 12 January, 2015, 10:30:02 pm »
Useful info LWaB, thanks.

If it has more than 750m altitude gain per 100km, it is definitely the wrong route.
One of the hosts (Andy H) lives in Blandford which is at the eastern side of Dorset - a region not renowned for flatness.

A 250 mile route from MK to Blandford with 650m of climbing per 100k is easy enough to find, and about right for early may's target. I would use the Tewkesbury leg that he's done twice already as the start. The highest part of the route would be atop the Northamptonshire escarpment near Priors Marston

A 40 mile approach to Blandford from Salisbury with less than 400m of climbing per 100k is also easy - Salisbury Ringwood Christchurch Wimborne then NCN25 to Blandford.

Dorset is only hilly in the hilly bits  :)

I reckon that hosts being available at 24hrs notice (or less) would be a useful option for Steve. The next best thing to the motorhome to take advantage of whatever the weather is doing at the time.

Ah, maybe my impression of Dorset has been warped by 6 years of the Wessex SR  :demon:

H

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #32 on: 13 January, 2015, 10:20:48 am »
Is there anyone in Bristol or its environs planning to host Steve?

An 8000 calorie breakfast!

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Big-breakfast-ready-cafe-s-8-000-calorie/story-25845163-detail/story.html refers.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #33 on: 13 January, 2015, 10:36:50 am »
- Some of Steve's clothing is merino, so needs a cool wash and little or no tumble drying. Make sure you can get it dry by 4am when he'll be getting dressed.

Any suggestions how to dry clothing without using a tumble dryer assuming it's cold/wet outside?

We don't have a tumble dryer. For synthetic stuff it's easy - a 1400 spin and it's nearly dry anyway, then radiator / airing cupboard.  Merino I'm not so sure about - if it's good quality then a 1400 spin should also be ok.  All washes at 30 or 40C.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #34 on: 13 January, 2015, 12:32:30 pm »
Like "regular" wool, you really shouldn't hang wet merino. Best to dry flat.[Direct contact with a hot radiator may be a mistake too - I've certainly never done it.] Dunno what spin speed is safe, sorry.

It is NOT a quick-drying fabric, I struggle to wash-n-dry it overnight. But i've worn it damp in the morning on many tours and it's no problem (that's one of merino's strenghts - warm when wet).

Steve may have stricter requirements than me  :-\
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Hummers

« Reply #35 on: 13 January, 2015, 01:24:23 pm »
A hosting related request: who is hosting Steve on the following dates:

• 23rd March
  • 25th March
  • 30th March
  • 1st April

I am hosting him on the 24th and 31st but currently the days either side of my to dates are blank.

It would be good to know who is doing the previous/next day so we can pass on any required info etc.

Also, is there a contact for the day-day organisation of this?

H

simonp

« Reply #36 on: 13 January, 2015, 02:03:35 pm »

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Big-breakfast-ready-cafe-s-8-000-calorie/story-25845163-detail/story.html refers.

Yes! And there's a very flat route from our place. In fact I cycled past Portishead on the way to/from the BCM and Bryan Chapman last year. They'd have been shut mostly, but would have been open on the way back from the Brevet Cymru. It's a short ride from there to the Avonmouth bridge.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #37 on: 13 January, 2015, 02:05:44 pm »
Has Steve done something different with his hair?
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #38 on: 13 January, 2015, 02:14:58 pm »

Yes! And there's a very flat route from our place. In fact I cycled past Portishead on the way to/from the BCM and Bryan Chapman last year. They'd have been shut mostly, but would have been open on the way back from the Brevet Cymru. It's a short ride from there to the Avonmouth bridge.

Before and after shot if possible please.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #39 on: 13 January, 2015, 02:21:16 pm »
If Steve has a devastating mechanical on the way to us I'm very happy to broom wagon him home to make sure hew has a good bike for the next day. Would need a juggling of routes for the next few days, but would mean little disruption.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #40 on: 13 January, 2015, 02:26:08 pm »

Also, is there a contact for the day-day organisation of this?

H

The host manager.

« Reply #41 on: 13 January, 2015, 02:31:14 pm »
Merino wool will be dry by morning if it's spun on around 1000rpm and hung overnight on a drying rack next to a radiator. I usually hang it out at around 9pm so the heating is on for an hour and then a couple of hours in the morning. Given Steve's early starts, this may not be an option but I'm sure it would be fine with a couple of hours extra in the evening. Don't forget to adjust the heating in Steve's room accordingly, you don't want him to get dehydrated through the night.

I've also hung merino directly on a radiator to no ill effect.

simonp

« Reply #42 on: 13 January, 2015, 03:51:47 pm »

Before and after shot if possible please.

Down to Glastonbury, across to Brent Knoll, up to Portishead. 53 miles, nearly all pan flat. In summertime, may need a longer route or he'd get there before opening.

« Reply #43 on: 13 January, 2015, 04:24:46 pm »
But do supply LOTS of TEA!

Like this??

(FOR THE 'MERCANS: I'm only joking obviously!!)
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #44 on: 13 January, 2015, 05:09:39 pm »
Has Steve done something different with his hair?
Nothing gets past you, does it?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #45 on: 13 January, 2015, 05:46:16 pm »

An excellent cyclist's breakfast.

Especially as the café has bike parking available just to her right...

« Reply #46 on: 13 January, 2015, 06:53:45 pm »
We are planning to offer him a giant fry up here, so long as it's what he fancies most at 4am  ;D

I've never had a problem drying merino stuff on a rack near the radiator or even in the airing cupboard.
Since he's coming here in June when we may not have the heating on I will put the gas fire on to hang it near if necessary!

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #47 on: 14 January, 2015, 01:58:04 pm »
Worth noting that there's a batch of flu going round (I've been ill for 3 weeks now) that is resistant to the latest flu jab.

Apart from falling off in front of him and causing him to crash (see Jan 14th posts) it would be awful to pass flu onto Steve.

First signs are sore throat and chesty cough.  Avoid Steve if you develop symptoms.

It was all I could do to lie on the sofa and watch TV over Xmas, I'd hate to be cycling 200 miles with it.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #48 on: 14 January, 2015, 02:03:18 pm »
Absolutely correct. With a reasonable amount of fatigue and stress, TG's immune system is unlikely to be at peak performance.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #49 on: 14 January, 2015, 10:11:56 pm »
Another question. Sausages and cheese.

"Pork sausages to take with me the next day"... "1lb of cheddar cheese is a good substitute"

Have been pondering how one wraps/packages the aforementioned sausages or cheese so it's convenient for munching in the saddle.

Do you wrap individual sausages in cling film? Tin foil? Put them all together in a bag?

Should I tape them to his shoulders, maybe?

Worked for Captain Scarlet...

Or should I fry them up and simply pour them into his pocket direct from the pan as he leaves? That would warm him a bit for a while surely.

And I asked Mrs W about the cheese.

She said "Grate it". But I'm not convinced.

Please advise on sausage/cheese options.

Thanks in advance.