Author Topic: [HAMR] 18 March - Day 77  (Read 5025 times)

Re: 18 March - Day 77
« Reply #25 on: 18 March, 2015, 06:48:22 pm »
Strava 228.6 km, average speed 21.3 km/h

« Reply #26 on: 18 March, 2015, 06:51:00 pm »
Strava 228.6 km, average speed 21.3 km/h
Shortest day so far.
Go Steve!

« Reply #27 on: 18 March, 2015, 07:13:25 pm »
Blimey - he deserves a slower low mileage day & he can afford to, but that's very slow.  I hope all is OK.
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #28 on: 18 March, 2015, 07:19:12 pm »
Blimey - he deserves a slower low mileage day & he can afford to, but that's very slow.  I hope all is OK.

Ditto ^^+1

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #29 on: 18 March, 2015, 07:19:45 pm »
OK, it was between 4:30 and 7:30, but it was foggy on the M5 M6 corridor, all the way. Plus 0 or 1 degree. Not nice in a car, probably not nice on a bike.
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #30 on: 18 March, 2015, 07:21:29 pm »
Fog is really bad news, so jacking it in early was a good idea. I hope that's all it was.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #31 on: 18 March, 2015, 07:28:11 pm »
Looking at the tracker, he went across an up-and-downy bit between Repton and Woodhouse Eaves.

BikeHike has that at 34 km and 500 m of climbing with 14 off >5% climbs.

Take some good R&R tonight Steve. Get a massage.  :thumbsup:

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #32 on: 18 March, 2015, 08:14:03 pm »
Looks as if it's been a tough day.
Hope you have a good night's rest, and that tomorrow is kinder to you, Steve.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #33 on: 18 March, 2015, 09:45:25 pm »
Lot of climbing & fog, 228 km @ 21.3 is more than respectable.

Good luck tomorrow, Steve.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #34 on: 18 March, 2015, 11:18:38 pm »
He's been over some of the bigger climbs in Leicestershire (not saying a lot I know), but it was a bit of an odd choice of route and may have caught him out a bit.
The weather just north of Leicester has been fine and clear, with just a hint of haze. So I don't think it was fog, unless the smog - which is forecast to be pretty bad around here tomorrow - has affected him.
Go Steve Go.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #35 on: 18 March, 2015, 11:25:19 pm »
It was very foggy in Rugby and north of here this morning.

Regardless, Steve has a shorter day.  So what?  He's so far ahead of the curve that it doesn't matter.   I would not be at all surprised if Steve doesn't have something up his sleeve.

Enjoy your sleep and roll on into history Steve. 

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #36 on: 18 March, 2015, 11:28:09 pm »
Apparently there is a lot of air pollution over the UK at the moment.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #37 on: 19 March, 2015, 12:13:59 am »
The area Steve rode in this morning is lumpy rather than hilly and certainly nothing to bother him at this stage. But a day that is suddenly 60+ miles shorter than of late does make one ask questions. I don't see this as a rest day - at this stage , he is fit/conditioned enough not to need it. So why the sudden shorter day? 2 options come to mind. Injury or illness. I hope it is neither but fear the worst as I cannot understand why he should stick a short day in just as he is gaining ground on Kurt. Particularly as the weather was relatively good (albeit after a cold and foggy start).

« Reply #38 on: 19 March, 2015, 06:56:54 am »

Regardless, Steve has a shorter day.  So what?  He's so far ahead of the curve that it doesn't matter.   

exactly I`m sure Steve can manage without feeling forum pressure of why a shorter day  !!! In addition to the physical challenge there must also be a huge amount of mental pressure too to deal with so having queries, although well intended, about why a shorter day probably doesn`t help.

Go Steve and enjoy the riding
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

hillbilly

« Reply #39 on: 19 March, 2015, 07:06:03 am »
Noticeably below the recent great progress.  To the extent that it has made me wonder if it was a bad day at the office, or a rest day. 

One of the crap things about this time of year is the amount of cold and flu viruses in circulation - hopefully he continues to avoid them, and this was more a case of "I am ahead of schedule, so let's Bank some of that with some sleep catchup".  I'm anticipating it is the latter, given he has been putting in some long days recently and he's switched on about sleep dep.

« Reply #40 on: 19 March, 2015, 07:09:24 am »
How are his med' metrics?

HR, BP and temp.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #41 on: 19 March, 2015, 09:09:25 am »
Noticeably below the recent great progress.  To the extent that it has made me wonder if it was a bad day at the office, or a rest day. 

One of the crap things about this time of year is the amount of cold and flu viruses in circulation - hopefully he continues to avoid them, and this was more a case of "I am ahead of schedule, so let's Bank some of that with some sleep catchup".  I'm anticipating it is the latter, given he has been putting in some long days recently and he's switched on about sleep dep.

Most of the cold and flu viruses are enhanced by people being trapped in offices, trains, buses, classrooms etc.  Steve with his 12+ hours a day of being out in the fresh air should escape this curse (says he with no miles at the weekend due to lurgy - three family members at three different schools and commuting by train to London - there is no escape!!!)
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #42 on: 19 March, 2015, 10:06:07 am »
Any feed back from Steve?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain