Author Topic: [HAMR] 12th April - Teethgrinder - Day 102  (Read 3591 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
[HAMR] 12th April - Teethgrinder - Day 102
« on: 12 April, 2015, 03:47:43 pm »
Another day, another thread. Any news on the trike?

Heal Steve :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Re: 12th April - Teethgrinder - Day 102
« Reply #1 on: 12 April, 2015, 05:02:42 pm »
Please let us have an update OYTT team!
Does not play well with others

« Reply #2 on: 12 April, 2015, 05:08:03 pm »
The trike should arrive sometime in the week then it will need reflective tape to comply with UMCA rules but that won't take long. I'll try it as soon as I get it.
I think my ankle might be getting better. I don't take any painkillers except before bed. I'll see what they say at the hospital on Thursday afternoon when I have an X-ray.

« Reply #3 on: 12 April, 2015, 06:21:13 pm »
The trike should arrive sometime in the week then it will need reflective tape to comply with UMCA rules but that won't take long. I'll try it as soon as I get it.
I think my ankle might be getting better. I don't take any painkillers except before bed. I'll see what they say at the hospital on Thursday afternoon when I have an X-ray.
That's good to hear :thumbsup:
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #4 on: 12 April, 2015, 06:46:34 pm »
Might still be worth taking some medication for it anyway. While not painful, it could likely be swollen so Ibuprofen or similar will help ease that and speed up recovery time.

« Reply #5 on: 12 April, 2015, 06:48:45 pm »
Thanks for the update, much appreciated. Best wishes for the new week!

Chris S

« Reply #6 on: 12 April, 2015, 07:20:11 pm »
Might still be worth taking some medication for it anyway. While not painful, it could likely be swollen so Ibuprofen or similar will help ease that and speed up recovery time.

Having seen the carrier bag of All the Good Drugs that fboab was given when she b0rked her wrist, I expect Mr Grinder has all the options available  ;D.

« Reply #7 on: 12 April, 2015, 08:04:50 pm »
Having seen the carrier bag of All the Good Drugs that fboab was given...

...and, if Steve wants, I have "contacts" who can procure a selection of All the Bad Drugs.

;D

Disclaimer: clearly that comment was meant as a whimsy. I mean, as if I'd ever have anything to do with naughty recreational pharmaceuticals. Perish the thought.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #8 on: 12 April, 2015, 08:05:52 pm »
When I did my wrist, the fracture clinic consultant told me to keep off ibuprofen (and other NSAIDs) since the inflammation helped with the mending process and to stick to other painkillers (e.g. paracetamol) instead.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #9 on: 12 April, 2015, 08:33:48 pm »
When my cycling buddy was under therapy for the big C it was properly scary what he had in his crate at home.  Enough to kill a couple of (very happy at the end) elephants.  Far too much IMHO but apparently quite normal.

Cheers for the update Steve  :thumbsup:
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #10 on: 12 April, 2015, 08:34:26 pm »
All the best, Teethgrinder
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #11 on: 12 April, 2015, 08:55:31 pm »
I just got codeine and paracetamol for pain.
I may have swelling but if I do, it's not much. My boot feels lose.
The only other drugs I got are the blood thinning injections to help prevent blood clots and they are the only ones I do take without fail, as told by the doctor.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 12 April, 2015, 09:22:17 pm »
IMHO 'as needed' medicines are best taken 'as needed'.

An exception might be if trying to break into a cycle of unending pain. This does not appear to be the case right now.
Taking pain medicines at night makes sense to ensure restful sleep.

GO STEVE!

« Reply #13 on: 12 April, 2015, 09:23:29 pm »
The number of people who have asked whether Steve has a cleat on the bottom of his cast. I  — it's getting a bit tedious, really. 

Perhaps I shouldn't say that.  On yesterday's 300 I had questions from riders, from controllers, and from the organiser, all wishing Steve a swift recovery — and several missing their daily fix of Strava updates.

« Reply #14 on: 12 April, 2015, 09:24:33 pm »
You get that foot right, that there Teethgrinder and dont do anything silly!
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #15 on: 12 April, 2015, 09:39:37 pm »
I'm not sure that he has done so recently, but during the year after his transplant Dez calculated that he had swallowed over 10,000 tablets.

Good luck with the recovery Steve!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #16 on: 12 April, 2015, 10:22:50 pm »
Codeine is good strong stuff...there is a reason it is on prescription only.
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 12 April, 2015, 10:33:13 pm »
Codeine is good strong stuff...there is a reason it is on prescription only.

Except of course when it isn't.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #18 on: 12 April, 2015, 11:01:03 pm »
My fellow zek Miss Morris-Minor is a nurse.  Suffice it to say that The Honest BRITISH Taxpayer was funding her drug habit.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #19 on: 12 April, 2015, 11:28:39 pm »
You can buy 8mg codeine in 8/500 paracetamol and 12.8mg codeine in nurofen plus. If you max out the safe dose of paracetamol and ibuprofen you can get over 60mg codeine in a single chunk of pills!  I worked out a table of varying codeine doses on those two for a while which allowed me to titrate finer than my 30mg codeine script until GP let me have 15mgs as well. 

I don't think I ever needed substantial pain medication after my various bits of metalwork. As a child I had silly-high pain threshold. Mum always made me take calpol for a week and a bit longer at night but usually after 2 days or so the worst was past, even the 1992 final radius pinnage which was fairly painful for 24hrs and then was fine. 

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #20 on: 13 April, 2015, 12:36:43 am »
I have a few codeine (ETA: just checked - they're the 15mg ones) tablets left which await the next time I do SOMETHING STUPIDTM resulting in PROPER PAINTM.  When I run out, I'll have a chat with $UNNAMED_RELATIVE who has them in her prescription bucket but never uses them.

ALSO ETA: codeine appears to be one of the few common-ish painkillers that lower blood pressure rather than raising it as all the NSAIDs seem to do.  Given my hypertension, and my childhood/adolescent recollection that it was only the aspirin and codeine tablets (which seem to have disappeared from general availability these days - too easy to chemically separate the codeine?) that used to work on some of my headaches means that I'm quite happy to have a few of these in the house for pain relief on the rare occasions that it becomes necessary.  Thenkfully, I've never had need to take them for long enough to suffer the side-effects I hear described (constipation, odd dreams and possible dependency IIRC).
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #21 on: 13 April, 2015, 07:16:43 am »

The only other drugs I got are the blood thinning injections to help prevent blood clots and they are the only ones I do take without fail, as told by the doctor.

Worth reminding people, as TG knows, as a group we cyclists have a low resting heart rate (not necessarily as low as TG on a 300Km ride) which, combined with over developed calf and leg muscles, creates an increased risk of blood pooling in our legs and puts us into a high risk group for DVT. Bit counter intuitive, but worth wearing THOSE socks on a long plane journey.

Heal soon, Steve.

« Reply #23 on: 13 April, 2015, 10:40:41 am »
Thanks for the update Teethgrinder  :thumbsup:

You know, a few years ago I did a proper job on my wrist, ripped the majority of the ligaments off, dislocated a lunate, broke a scaphoid, trapped a carpel nerve (the very most painful experience of my life when the swelling started and the nerve compressed more and more).  Had a 4 hour op and was told I'd be lucky to ever have useable movement in it, may not regain full feeling, that I would be in cast for at least 8 weeks and it would be months and months until I could ride again.  On the MTB a wrist injury is a big issue as they do take a real battering. 

Within two weeks I was riding trail centres and the hills in the cast:

Within a week of the plaster coming off I was doing this:

I did my physio and have pretty much full movement, and way more than they predicted.  No nerve damage.  The consultants are to be listened to, of course, but only we personally know our own body.  I knew when it felt ok, and when I needed not to be using it.  I think, when you do a lot of physical work, you are fine tuned to pick up on signals that desk workers/sofa surfers just don't recognise. 

So best of luck with the healing, with riding in the cast, and hope it all works out well!  You certainly have my full support and admiration  :thumbsup:
Does not play well with others

« Reply #24 on: 13 April, 2015, 12:24:23 pm »
When I did my wrist, the fracture clinic consultant told me to keep off ibuprofen (and other NSAIDs) since the inflammation helped with the mending process and to stick to other painkillers (e.g. paracetamol) instead.

+1 to this.  Not because Steve needs any medical advice, but for anyone else reading this.  The NHS left me with zero information about pain relief after breaking my collar bone, but fortunately I did finally get the advice that NSAIDs were bad for broken bones.