Author Topic: [HAMR] Ultra-distance and quality of sleep  (Read 1119 times)

Man of the Mountains

• Just a ridin' on my chrome horse
[HAMR] Ultra-distance and quality of sleep
« on: 24 September, 2015, 01:59:29 pm »
What is the received wisdom on getting the best sleep as a long or ultra-distance rider?

I am not refering to during an event but in daily life which for Steve and Kurt are the same thing of course. I love riding Audax but I have found my sleep patterns and quality are not as good as when I was riding off-road and higher intensity club runs. I used to be able to sleep on a washing line regardless of work stresses etc. Now I'm up before the larks every day ready to knock out a couple of controls before breakfast.

Steve talked a wee while ago about how an increase in speed would improve his sleeping due to hormone release after hard efforts. Kurt's strategy of higher speeds for shorter days is working on paper but we now hear about heart anomalies. Are there any other roads to sleep nirvana and proper recovery for us mile-eaters?

Go Kurt
Go Steve
GWS Kurt
Question everything, believe nothing.

Re: Ultra-distance and quality of sleep
« Reply #1 on: 24 September, 2015, 04:04:11 pm »
It has been reported that Steve has the ability to drop into deep sleep almost instantly. Maybe a learned ability, maybe he has always had it.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Re: Ultra-distance and quality of sleep
« Reply #2 on: 24 September, 2015, 04:08:57 pm »
I think that comes with experience of Audaxing. Most experienced randonneurs can sleep anywhere, anytime. I suppose the body gets to the stage where a little respite is welcome and takes advantage of the break. Equally, with this kind of cycling, day in day out, it becomes a case of needs must.

I am sure most people can 'learn' this given the distance and time taken.