Author Topic: [HAMR] New challenger - Bruce Berkeley AKA Cycle_dr 1  (Read 164502 times)

Re: New challenger - Bruce Berkeley AKA Cycle_dr 1
« Reply #1000 on: 18 February, 2016, 11:33:24 am »
Yep the physical challenge is staggering and needs a bit of luck in avoiding bugs etc when you are running your body that near the limit. But I still think the mental challenge is even greater.

I'm still surprised that 2 of the 5 efforts actually succeeded on the mental side.
Nuns, no sense of humour

« Reply #1001 on: 18 February, 2016, 12:31:41 pm »
Yep the physical challenge is staggering and needs a bit of luck in avoiding bugs etc when you are running your body that near the limit. But I still think the mental challenge is even greater.

I'm still surprised that 2 of the 5 efforts actually succeeded on the mental side.

I still think back to a few late nights in December time (I think)...... When we had gale force winds around here that were strong enough to have me seriously worrying about our building and the surrounding trees ....I live deep in a valley so its fairly sheltered.... at that same time, Steve was less than 20 miles away in a much higher, much more exposed and remote area.  I felt genuinely scared looking at the tracker and knowing what that bit of road would have been like at that time of night, in those conditions.

Its a bit like when you watch Formula 1 live, trackside, for the first time...and you suddenly realize why these are the only 20 people on the planet that actually do this...because it requires a set of mental and physical skills that only a handful of people on the planet actually have.

Im not sure there are many people on the planet who have the state of mind and strength of character needed to complete a proper attempt at the year.... to then actually beat the record you also need to combine those mental attributes with the ability to time trial at 18-20mph day in day out while remaining in a comfort zone....madness!

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #1002 on: 26 February, 2016, 07:34:00 pm »

Im not sure there are many people on the planet who have the state of mind and strength of character needed to complete a proper attempt at the year.... to then actually beat the record you also need to combine those mental attributes with the ability to time trial at 18-20mph day in day out while remaining in a comfort zone....madness!

....when you are knackered every day.

H

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1003 on: 27 February, 2016, 01:25:18 pm »
So no news is, no news then?

Not restarted or given any idea when he will?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1004 on: 27 February, 2016, 02:46:40 pm »
I suspect it will take a while to diagnose, treat and assess the recovery of Bruce's knee - which has let him down before. I wouldn't expect any substantive news (as opposed to statements of ambition) for some months. Any sooner, and I'd expect the same pattern to repeat itself.

« Reply #1005 on: 20 December, 2016, 09:34:53 pm »
whats bruce planning for January? a month attempt?

« Reply #1006 on: 21 December, 2016, 11:18:17 pm »
I don't think so.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #1007 on: 24 February, 2017, 01:17:11 pm »

Bruce is off again. 200 plus days, looks like a seven day distance attempt. There's a cycling weekly story on a Richard Nutt claiming a world record for this, what's the most you or Amanda have done in 7 days Teeth grinder?

« Reply #1008 on: 24 February, 2017, 01:30:55 pm »
That's a very impressive 7 day total

Is there any confirmation that he did this under the auspices of any official body?

Bruce didn't, I seem to recall.  Just declared he'd done it.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1009 on: 24 February, 2017, 01:49:52 pm »
He seems to be one of those 'Stravanauts'. It's a harmless enough hobby. I tend to the view that anyone serious will have a crack at the LEJOG record. That doesn't happen very often, but there are still column inches to be filled.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1010 on: 25 February, 2017, 12:02:25 am »

Bruce is off again. 200 plus days, looks like a seven day distance attempt. There's a cycling weekly story on a Richard Nutt claiming a world record for this, what's the most you or Amanda have done in 7 days Teeth grinder?

When Christoph Strasser did his 7d22h RAAM in 2013, he will have done about 2600 miles in 7 days.  The data will probably still be on the UMCA site to show the last time station he passed before the week was up.

« Reply #1011 on: 25 February, 2017, 08:22:33 am »
Strasser also rode across Australia in record time a few weeks ago.

I rode 1728 on the first 7 days of my month record. Amanda will be a bit less (at least, for now) but it wouldn't be by much.
Tommy Godwin would have got over 2000 miles at least 4 weeks with his super summer riding.
A year record rider probably wouldn't get near a week record, but you never know. It'd be a bit like trying to get the 10 mile record during a 24 hour as a year record is 52 times longer than a week. You'd need a full support crew to do a week record and really hammer the sleep restricition. That's far too intense for a year record, unless you can recover from it while still doing enough miles. Recovery from anything seems to take 4 times as long during a year record attempt, as a rough guess, as far as I can tell.
Strasser could probably ride even further in a week if he set out to do so and chose routes that give him best use of tailwinds.
Still a very good ride from Bruce though. :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1012 on: 27 February, 2017, 03:59:09 pm »
What was Bruce's total?
Getting there...

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1013 on: 27 February, 2017, 04:20:14 pm »
Another one: Ben Rockett claimed 1880 miles for his LEJOGLE ride, which he did in 5 days 21 hours.

Oh and FYI

It'd be a bit like trying to get the 10 mile record during a 24 hour

My fastest 10 miles were during a 50 mile TT!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1014 on: 27 February, 2017, 06:01:11 pm »
Oh and FYI

Quote from: teefgrinder
It'd be a bit like trying to get the 10 mile record during a 24 hour

I think my fastest 10 were near the end of a 5AAA 200km.*

But that is also irrelevant to Steve's comment. <pushes glasses up nose>

*[probably a bit more altitude lost than during yours]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1015 on: 27 February, 2017, 06:14:39 pm »

One way and a following wind?

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1016 on: 27 February, 2017, 08:13:49 pm »
Yup.  I think a lot of people did 10 mile PBs that day.

« Reply #1017 on: 28 February, 2017, 09:56:17 am »
A 50 is significantly higher intensity than riding a 24 hour.
My fastest 40km on my Garmin is only about 3 minutes slower than my 25 mile PB and I think that was done during my month record. So it does seem possible that I could score a 25 mile PB with a tailwind in the Fens during the year record (It's only 1:03 something, done in 1993 on a windy day on a road bike with no tri bars, so pretty helpful to have the bar set so low)

You do make a good point though For a week record with the same rules as the UMCA year record, you could ride across a large land mass with a tailwind all the way and full support crew. Austarlia or USA might be a good place.
I thought about that for the year record but the logistics aren't easy and it would be extremely expensive even without a follow car. You'd need to be sure of a good enough tailwind to iron out any hills or mountains or find a flat enough route. Then, you need to get back to the start ASAP once you run out of land, into slow going conditions or run out of tailwind. That would mean a flight really, preferably by private jet which can carry your bike safely. With charter flights, you'd really want a bike waiting at the beginning of the route and have it arranged for them to be relayed back to the start of the route.

I do have it in mind to use my 3 free goes at the month record during the year. But I do have to give at least 21 days notice for each attempt, which I'd have to do for an official week record (if it existed)
Month record pace is pretty much year record pace. At least I hope it is because I was doing 236 mpd when I did the month and that would probably get me the HAMR by about 1500 miles. :)

I think that Gethin Butler matched or got very close to his PB for a 24 hour when he got the LEJOG record. Very hard terrain but he had a very good tailwind.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1018 on: 28 February, 2017, 10:21:52 am »
The RRA site says he did 505 during his LEJOG ride, as compared to his time trial PB of 509.

« Reply #1019 on: 01 March, 2017, 09:59:56 pm »
When Christoph Strasser did his 7d22h RAAM in 2013, he will have done about 2600 miles in 7 days.  The data will probably still be on the UMCA site to show the last time station he passed before the week was up.
In 2014, Strasser did RAAM in 7d16h.
On that occasion, the 7 day time station was at 2802.8 miles, reached in 6 days 23 hr 06 min
http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/raam/rcracer.php?s_N_category_group=1&s_N_Race_ID=1&s_N_Year_ID=38&s_N_Entry_ID=3143

2802 miles is 4510 km, and Strasser's Perth to Sydney record of 6d 11h was for 3950 km, so Australia isn't big enough for a one way week record  ;)