Author Topic: On St Lucys`s Eve 200  (Read 13906 times)

On St Lucys`s Eve 200
« on: 07 December, 2015, 04:37:15 pm »
Anyone else looking to ride this? Weather looks (compared to recent) quite promising with an increasing SW wind during day >>>good tailwind home to Prees  :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Planet X Paul

• The Green Machine
Re: On St Lucys`s Eve 200
« Reply #1 on: 07 December, 2015, 05:15:21 pm »
I've declared an interest in riding it, to get a 200 in during December.  I know it's a 'main roads' audax, but I may take the minor road from Corwen
to the end of Bala Lake unless there is a control somewhere along the route.

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #2 on: 07 December, 2015, 05:33:10 pm »
Looking at the calendar page it appears there's just the 1 control, at the turn!

Andy Corless

« Reply #3 on: 07 December, 2015, 05:46:58 pm »
I do fancy it especially with the forecast of kinder weather. Getting to Whitchurch is going to be a bit of a challenge though.

« Reply #4 on: 07 December, 2015, 05:57:51 pm »
I've declared an interest in riding it, to get a 200 in during December.  I know it's a 'main roads' audax, but I may take the minor road from Corwen

That sounds quite a good idea, using the Llandrillo road then around to Llanuwchllyn on south side Bala lake? adds about 5 km each way though
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #5 on: 07 December, 2015, 06:10:48 pm »
"Getting to Whitchurch is going to be a bit of a challenge though."

I've booked in at the Crewe Barthomley Travelodge (£34), which is about 30-minutes drive to the start. An 08:00 am start time means I don't have to get up too early.

Andy Corless

« Reply #6 on: 07 December, 2015, 08:54:47 pm »
I'm contemplating doing this, weather permitting, will be driving down from Rochdale early Saturday morning.

Will probably be slow as not much cycling done lately, treating as a bike ride, rather than an Audax though.

Planet X Paul

• The Green Machine
« Reply #7 on: 07 December, 2015, 11:58:06 pm »

That sounds quite a good idea, using the Llandrillo road then around to Llanuwchllyn on south side Bala lake? adds about 5 km each way though

Just measured it, and it's +1.7 Kms each way.

« Reply #8 on: 08 December, 2015, 09:40:13 am »
I'll be on it (unless the weather takes a turn for the worse).

I did this ride last year and despite being main roads, they were particularly quiet and enjoyable.  A stark contrast to how they'd be in the summer months when full of holiday traffic.

Plenty of opportunities to stop for a mince pie or two along the route.  We stopped at the coffee shop at the Corwen workhouse on the way out and then a break in Llangollen on the return leg.  Not forgetting of course the full english at the start and a decent lunch at the control!  :thumbsup:

Looking forward to it, looks like it's going to be a little warmer this time around...   

« Reply #9 on: 08 December, 2015, 12:41:13 pm »
I'll be on it (unless the weather takes a turn for the worse).

I did this ride last year and despite being main roads, they were particularly quiet and enjoyable.  A stark contrast to how they'd be in the summer months when full of holiday traffic.

Plenty of opportunities to stop for a mince pie or two along the route.  We stopped at the coffee shop at the Corwen workhouse on the way out and then a break in Llangollen on the return leg.  Not forgetting of course the full english at the start and a decent lunch at the control!  :thumbsup:

Looking forward to it, looks like it's going to be a little warmer this time around...

IIRC Raven café do rather extensively sized breakfasts---trucker feast size  ;D

Planet X Paul

• The Green Machine
« Reply #10 on: 09 December, 2015, 10:39:44 am »
Just looking at the BBC forecast for Saturday  :'( :'( :'(

« Reply #11 on: 09 December, 2015, 10:59:06 am »
Just looking at the BBC forecast for Saturday  :'( :'( :'(

yes it`s crap---cold 4 c  , wet and headwind on return. not inspiring at all :(

« Reply #12 on: 09 December, 2015, 02:52:12 pm »
No need to worry, I've just signed up for this one, and the sun always shines for me - we can throw the weather forecasts away. Disclaimer: Not always true. My first December Audax, hope it's not the first ride in a RTTY series. Happy days.

Planet X Paul

• The Green Machine
« Reply #13 on: 09 December, 2015, 03:14:06 pm »
No need to worry, I've just signed up for this one, and the sun always shines for me - we can throw the weather forecasts away. Disclaimer: Not always true. My first December Audax, hope it's not the first ride in a RTTY series. Happy days.

Hooray !!  We're saved.  Thank goodness Bertie is coming along  :thumbsup: ;D

« Reply #14 on: 09 December, 2015, 04:13:43 pm »

Hooray !!  We're saved.  Thank goodness Bertie is coming along  :thumbsup: ;D

Is there a whiff of sarcasm there Mr. PX Paul? , I was only trying to motivate. We're doomed..... That's better.

PS.  I'm bringing along my new Planet X stem - it's very shiny.

Planet X Paul

• The Green Machine
« Reply #15 on: 09 December, 2015, 04:23:06 pm »
Ha ha.  Yes, there was a bit.  I still think were in for a drubbing off the weather, and your 'doomed' scenario is probably more likely.

Planet X is the way forward.  You just need the rest of the bike now to match your stem  :thumbsup:

« Reply #16 on: 09 December, 2015, 09:15:06 pm »
... hope it's not the first ride in a RTTY series. Happy days.

Don't ride in January and it won't be.  Or February, or March ...

Planet X Paul

• The Green Machine
« Reply #17 on: 10 December, 2015, 12:34:10 pm »
Great.  Now the weather forecast has got a yellow warning against it  :-[

« Reply #18 on: 10 December, 2015, 03:40:27 pm »
Great.  Now the weather forecast has got a yellow warning against it  :-[

because it look like being 10 hours of heavy rain as the mild air pushes north against colder air---rain, rain and rain :(

« Reply #19 on: 10 December, 2015, 03:50:10 pm »
Should be alright, I've got new Planet X overshoes.

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #20 on: 11 December, 2015, 09:02:31 am »
The weather forecast is a slightly improved this morning - but still miserable. The 40mph gusts have gone and the lighter winds are now set to change direction about midday, giving us a mild tailee in both directions  :), but still continuous heavy rain through to mid afternoon - and flood warnings. What a difference a day makes!
I daresay most are considering their options. If you could make your decision sooner rather than later and email me if you're not coming I'd be grateful -
The event will go ahead even if just for a single rider.

« Reply #21 on: 11 December, 2015, 10:30:29 am »
I won't be coming on this event, I've not emailed my intent to John as I was watching the weather and was going to make my mind up today, decided to ride to Blackpool yesterday which was half this distance and packed at the half way point (Blackpool) so probably a good decision in the end. Hope the weather isn't too bad for all who will be riding, looking forward to your post ride reports.

« Reply #22 on: 12 December, 2015, 09:11:23 am »
pulled out too ---weather is awful heavy rain and cold---big big kudos those riding main roads in these conditions not good

« Reply #23 on: 12 December, 2015, 10:10:18 am »
I pulled out too.  Waited until Friday evening before deciding. 

Referring to yesterdays forecast, the thought of getting a soaking in the morning and then, what would feel like, freezing for the rest of the day didn't float my boat.  Then I look this morning and the forecast has changed again for a soaking all day!

Really disappointed, but considering doing it as a DIY when the opportunity arises.

Thanks to John of course for organising the event. 

« Reply #24 on: 12 December, 2015, 10:26:04 pm »
Hi

Just got home from doing ride took me 10.5 hours

ride was great if a bit wet well done john

Oggy