Author Topic: [HAMR] What now?  (Read 25314 times)

[HAMR] What now?
« on: 22 January, 2016, 01:35:37 pm »
First of all, thanks for all of the help ad support I have had for the OYTT.
I appreciate the comments and thoughts that I haven't let anyone down, but the truth is, that I feel like I have. Us humans are daft like that, I guess.
I am very pleased that I have encouraged a lot of people with their cycling.

I have a lot to say about why it didn't work but won't go into all of that now because it would take a very long time.
The short answer that circumstances right from the start conspired against me. Add to that I was going into unknown territory and had nothing more to go on than Tommy Godwins' mileages, then it's no great surprise that not everything turned out as planned when plans were made on so little knowledge.

I think I have learned a lot, but there are still a lot of unasnswered questons. Still a lot to learn about the HAMR and I think it will be very many attempts over the course of decades before anyone even comes close to a good way of doing it the best way, let alone the best way possible.

My next move is to take time out to recover. No more riding, except for shopping trips and maybe the odd easy cafe ride to get me out of my home and in the fresh air.

I do feel bad about stopping. Very much how I felt after failing my first LEL. I still think I am capable, but just like on my first LEL, circumstances conspired against me.

I do feel like I gave it my best in the circumstance, but I never was at anywhere near my best, which again, I put mostly down to circumstances. I also think that I pushed it as far as possible without going too far. In my head I knew it was right for me to stop, but I was (and still am) unwilling to admit it to myself. I think this is inevitable in the mentality of anyone who would attempt something like this.
How can I give it my best when I'm not at my best nor can see how I can become my best without jeopordising the whole attempt?
My team and I tried everything to make it work. Hoppo and Idai explored every avenue to speed up my recovery to help me get faster, but after all is said and done, I never had enough speed to gain enough recovery time while meeting the mileages needed.
I may have only just been successful on the first attempt without the moped incident, but it is unlikely that I would have got the record by any significant margin. Though it must be said, that this is one of the many unknowns.

Lessons have been learnt and more questions have been opened, but I do have some ideas about their answers.

So, what now?

Rest and recover.

Then start riding my bike for fun. Some light touring, rides to cafes, and hopefully some camping trips etc. May even organise a few YACF jollies.

Then I intend to see about doing some proper training, possibly getting a coach, or at least some expert advice and guidance to get me up to speed and do some time trialling etc as well as other fun rides. Having worked hard over the years and spent little has meant that I no longer need full time employment and can live off my savings for a while, maybe doing some casual work at leisure.

But for now, I am going to concentrate on doing positive things to keep my head in a good place. Get my home in some kind of order. Get my bikes up to top working order. Do stuff to make my life feel good, rather than mope around feeling sorry for myself. Just because I'm not happy about stopping doesn't mean I need to make it worse. Makes more sense to get off my arse and actively make myself happy. Also do some stretches (I sure have lost a lot of flexibility!) take baths and generally do things to make me feel good.

My team haven't abandoned me either. I will keep in touch with them and try to help them with their cycling and anything else I can, just as they have helped and are continuing to help me.
In time I'll be getting medical assessments and making sure that I am in good health.

I expect that the question on a lot of people's mind is, "Will there be another attempt?"

The answer to that is that I don't know.
Of course, I am showing my hand a little with my talk of getting myself fit.
At present, I am undecided. My feeling is that I very much want to have another go. Everything is pretty much in place, lessons have been learnt and another start will be much easier, which means I could start in good fitness.

However, this is something that cannot be taken on lightly and at a whim. I am making no promise of another attempt. At present, I could well be thinking with my head not in the best place to make these kind of serious commitments.
So at present, I will take time out, get myself together and step away from it all. Take it one step at a time and see where I end up.
I will only make another attempt if I am 100% willing to make that kind of commitment and to do that I have to walk away, look at it from the outside and really want to do it again.

So from now on, it's just one step at a time and see where I end up.
I do have a lot of things to do in my "rest" time.
A cheap winter sun break seems very tempting and if I find myself in another country with new roads to explore, it would be against my nature to not have a bicycle at hand to do some exploring...

Re: What now?
« Reply #1 on: 22 January, 2016, 01:41:26 pm »
Steve, that's a thoughtful post. Thanks for sharing so much of what you're thinking at this point, and giving a sense of just how complex things are.

All the very best.

« Reply #2 on: 22 January, 2016, 01:42:12 pm »
Rest and recover Steve but do some riding too!  :thumbsup:

All the best.  :-*

« Reply #3 on: 22 January, 2016, 01:43:25 pm »
Welcome back TG, you've been missed.

« Reply #4 on: 22 January, 2016, 01:44:11 pm »
Ty for your openness - and your courage. Courage in even attempting this, then courage to fight on against overwhelming odds. There's nothing you could have done to avoid being smashed up.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #5 on: 22 January, 2016, 01:44:16 pm »
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us Steve and I have no doubt we shall support your next venture

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #6 on: 22 January, 2016, 01:44:26 pm »
It's good to have you back TG  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 22 January, 2016, 01:46:50 pm »
Hi TG.  Enjoy your cycling for a bit, and don't worry about making any more decisions just yet.

Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #8 on: 22 January, 2016, 01:54:22 pm »
Great to see you on here again, Steve.

If you fancy a potter out our way some time, it would be lovely to see you.
The loss of humanity I could live with.

« Reply #9 on: 22 January, 2016, 01:54:47 pm »
Far from letting anybody down you have inspired all of us lesser mortals by your example.

I'd recommend that you take time to adjust to not cycling all day every day and then slip back into your usual pre-OYTT routine.   Get out and enjoy your cycling as you did before you took on the OYTT.  Do a few audaxes maybe? 

If you fancy a few days with appreciative forumites and friends then there is the Clapham Bunkhouse trip next weekend (hostel beds still available) and the Long Itch Camping Weekend at the beginning of May.   There must be other events on too.    You will be very much the guest of honour. 

« Reply #10 on: 22 January, 2016, 01:57:29 pm »
I know you'll be in a bit of a bad place mentally after deciding to stop the attempt but you really have done great things to inspire myself and a lot of others get out and push a bit further on their bikes.

It may ring a bit hollow at the moment but truly, well done Steve!

« Reply #11 on: 22 January, 2016, 01:59:36 pm »
Please, please, please dont ever feel bad about stopping.  I am sure it was the right choice to make.  To carry on with 205+ miles every day would have been digging a hole for yourself.  Have a good rest and that will enable you to make good and sound decisions for the future.

Care to join me for a couple of weeks in Lanzarote next month?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #12 on: 22 January, 2016, 02:00:38 pm »
Hi Teethgrinder, its really good to have you back.  I kinda missed you while you were away busy being Steve Abraham.  (Though he's a nice guy too)
As you say, there's plenty of time to think about the future, so for a while just do whatever it is you feel like doing when you wake up every morning .
I have to say that a holiday in the sun sounds a good idea. 

Hmm, I wonder what the distance record for a pedelo is?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #13 on: 22 January, 2016, 02:00:48 pm »
A cheap winter sun break seems very tempting and if I find myself in another country with new roads to explore, it would be against my nature to not have a bicycle at hand to do some exploring...

if you happen to go to mallorca in 3wks time (on 13-22 feb), there's free accommodation

« Reply #14 on: 22 January, 2016, 02:00:51 pm »
Great to read some of your preliminary thoughts, TG.

But for now, I am going to concentrate on doing positive things to keep my head in a good place.

Sounds like a good plan.

Loss of flexibility? I reckon Pilates has a lot to offer.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #15 on: 22 January, 2016, 02:14:01 pm »
I remember you commenting you'd like to ride the Transcontinental race one day
I'm pretty sure the organisers would welcome you with open arms.
Gives you some focus while you rest and recover.

Then an easy 200 miles a day for Teethgrinder in August would see you cruising there, YACF cheering you on every step.

« Reply #16 on: 22 January, 2016, 02:25:02 pm »
Welcome back

if you happen to go to mallorca in 3wks time (on 13-22 feb), there's free accommodation

Not forgetting that Mollorca is probably one of the very easiest places to hire decent bikes

« Reply #17 on: 22 January, 2016, 02:28:22 pm »
A break in the sun sounds a good idea Steve. Welcome back.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #18 on: 22 January, 2016, 02:31:09 pm »
Not forgetting that Mollorca is probably one of the very easiest places to hire decent bikes

indeed; also smooth tarmac, little traffic, mountains, hills, flatlands, sunshine - one of the top cycling destinations!

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #19 on: 22 January, 2016, 02:36:46 pm »
Good to read this post, TG. There is no way you let anyone down, and stopping now was the right thing to do under the circumstances. It's good to hear that you'd consider another go after some coaching to get the speed up. I'm sure you can do it, given good luck and a following wind. Well, less headwind (and stray mopeds) anyway!

Enjoy your rest.

« Reply #20 on: 22 January, 2016, 02:38:19 pm »
Hi Steve,

We havnt met - apart from me shouting at you from the roadside on one occasion!

I can say without a doubt you have had a huge impact on my riding over the last year, and inspired plenty of other people that I ride with too.   I think you should be very proud of that - that kind of impact is normally reserved for the likes of Olympic champions ect.

Well done!  Enjoy your break and your new place in the record books of British and global cycling.

I await a second attempt with excitement, with a new fitter and faster Steve

Chris S

« Reply #21 on: 22 January, 2016, 02:40:06 pm »
Wherever you go to recover, don't bother booking a Premier Inn, eh?  ;)

Good to see you here, TG.

« Reply #22 on: 22 January, 2016, 02:45:08 pm »
Very interesting post Steve.

Personally I hope you *do* decide to give the HAMR another crack. I think you'd stand a better chance as you have learned so much from attempts #1 & #2.

Whatever you decide to do - bonne chance!
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #23 on: 22 January, 2016, 02:58:20 pm »
Don't beat yourself up, Steve! What you have achieved is just utterly amazing, physically as well as mentally.

One thought - rest and sleep is all fine, but is there the need of doing some structured de-training? Not cycling at all after 12 months of super-human effort may be quite a shock for your body?

If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #24 on: 22 January, 2016, 03:06:05 pm »
And he is back, but then again did you leave :) Jolly good show! Take some time off, kick back relax do what you want to do.

Thank you for an entertaining year and a bit TG, it have lifted my spirit as a sofa cyclist.

Oh if I'm mended I'm up for a ride to a cafe sometime with you, these yacf jollies are jolly good fun :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit