Author Topic: Significant places in Audax.  (Read 30659 times)

Re: Significant places in Audax.
« Reply #100 on: 26 January, 2016, 04:19:01 pm »

I think so.  I got a puncture halfway up Snake, and while I was mending it Sheila was fantasizing about doing something unrepeatable with a nearby sheep.

But my main memory is of Rikki Goode trying to stir his mug of coffee with two hands, and failing messily.

Brilliant

Hey, what a great day, a memory I'd forgotten - thanks for reminding me Mr. Frankie. I can still hear the spoon rattling ineffectually against the side of the "Tea"mug (I don't drink coffee). I can also remember all the motorists huddled selfishly around the fire blocking off all the heat whilst us cyclists continued freezing. Was dreading getting to the top of the Snake that day, had to stop several times on the way down to break up the ice in the gloves.

Anyhow I spotted that but really came here to inform of the following;

I know that Leigh Delamere services is special in Audax circles, I'd never realised though that it were such an important spiritual place for Mr. Salvatore, it being "The Centre of the Spooniverse".

https://spoonology.wordpress.com/2015/08/04/project-leigh-delamere/

"Spooniverse: All of existence excepting Spoona."

« Reply #101 on: 26 January, 2016, 05:09:27 pm »
Church Minshull seems to feature on just about all my rides in Cheshire.  I've lost count of how many times I've passed through.  I really ought to stop to have a look around it some time.   There was a "do" in the church on one occasion, so I have stopped off for a cup of tea and piece of cake.

« Reply #102 on: 26 January, 2016, 05:31:40 pm »
There was a "do" in the church on one occasion, so I have stopped off for a cup of tea and piece of cake.

Was you invited, or did you just gatecrash?

Phil W

« Reply #103 on: 26 January, 2016, 07:31:21 pm »
The 24-hour BP garage in Newtown, Powys.

There is a 24-hour garage in Wales?!?!?

Yes, 24 hours per week

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #104 on: 26 January, 2016, 08:50:30 pm »
Inside my head  ;) ;)

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #105 on: 27 January, 2016, 01:13:09 am »
I certainly endorse several of the choices so far but I don't think anything is likely now to erase this one as my personal significant spot:-

Whorlton Bridge over the glorious Tees.

It's a fabulous and very old bridge, close to my ancestral home; I was two-thirds of the way round my first 400 (a solo DIY) and appear still to have been able to use the big ring.  The bike (on which I started audaxing on one of Don Black's rides) has since been stolen but the memory never will be, except by the curse that steals all memories, in which case, I hope it will be one of the last!

Peter

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #106 on: 27 January, 2016, 04:52:04 am »
Thanks for resurrecting this thread.  Lots of good places.  A couple to add:

The Summer Cafe in Malmesbury
The Cosy Corner in Builth Wells
+1 to any El Supremo lay-by stop
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #107 on: 27 January, 2016, 05:37:52 am »

Ah, the nostalgia which strikes when you pass the mysteriously bare place where one of Those once was!

« Reply #108 on: 27 January, 2016, 08:40:26 am »
There was a "do" in the church on one occasion, so I have stopped off for a cup of tea and piece of cake.

Was you invited, or did you just gatecrash?

It was a coffee morning or jumble sale or some such public function.  I discovered that an old school friend was the vicar at the time - he wasn't there but I happened to spot his name on the notice board

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #109 on: 27 January, 2016, 10:10:57 am »

Ah, the nostalgia which strikes when you pass the mysteriously bare place where one of Those once was!

They appear sometimes like mirages - the hope of a smile a warm cup of tea a big smile and those miraculous cheesie toasties, just the sort of thing for 5am breakfast near Burbage or was it Pewsey - and then the thought is gone and there's just a cold stretch of muddy grass and a rusting litterbin with the rubber top blown off....
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #110 on: 27 January, 2016, 01:55:04 pm »

Indeed, there is a patch of grass at Lockerley near where I live; when I'm passing it I often think of being sat there on a sunny afternoon many years ago enjoying tea and cake with ElS.
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

« Reply #111 on: 27 January, 2016, 03:02:23 pm »
the disabled toilets in Braemar and the johnstonbridge services.

Rode 2x150km DIYs at the weekend and visited there on both  ;D

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #112 on: 31 January, 2016, 06:00:37 pm »
Inside my head  ;) ;)

BB
The cerebral equivalent of Winnie's Café in Atherstone.  I think I'll bounce that control...
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #113 on: 31 January, 2016, 06:12:29 pm »
Inside my head  ;) ;)

BB
The cerebral equivalent of Winnie's Café in Atherstone.  I think I'll bounce that control...
Is that better than 1970?

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.