Author Topic: [HAMR] What now?  (Read 25316 times)

Re: What now?
« Reply #25 on: 22 January, 2016, 03:23:10 pm »
Thanks Steve, its been an amazing experience following your exploits.

As others have said chill out and enjoy yourself  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #26 on: 22 January, 2016, 03:32:58 pm »
Thanks for the post Steve, great to hear from you. Take it easy and be good to yourself!

« Reply #27 on: 22 January, 2016, 03:34:27 pm »
Steve-
Thank you for posting so promptly and with thought, after what was obviously a big decision for you.
You haven't let anybody down, we were just the audience and support.
As you say things didn't work out as planned. Even Eisenhower had his resignation letter written as he said goodbye to the D-day troops.
Enjoy your rest, whether it is on two wheels or not. You are a legend and inspiration to many. Well done.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #28 on: 22 January, 2016, 03:42:48 pm »
Welcome back Steve!
Mallorca is nice (but Fred Chopin had a miserable winter there once upon a time).

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #29 on: 22 January, 2016, 03:46:26 pm »
Do whatever it takes to enjoy cycling. Cafe rides, Camping, 10 miles, 100 miles..whatever it takes.

My little anecdote:

In 2011 I drove to PBP.  I completed it and drove home. On arriving home I found I had completely fallen out of love with cycling, I was cycled-out.  I did other stuff for 2 years.

In 2015 I rode to PBP, started PBP but bailed out on the return journey with neck problems.  I felt very, very, low in Loudeac.  I rode home from Paris, stopping at any nice cafe or bar that took my fancy and fell totally in love with cycling during the ride home.  My failed PBP felt so much better than my previous success.

With hindsight it's obvious, I crave a challenge like PBP but, fundamentally, I LOVE riding between stops at nice bars and cafes (rather than riding past them wishing I had time to stop).

Time for you to stop at a few nice bars and cafes i think.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #30 on: 22 January, 2016, 03:52:22 pm »
If your touring brings you across the border, you're very welcome at the Aberffrwd audax hotel. 

When you get to the pursuit of faster, it may be worth looking at indoor training with a smart trainer.  It's a growing area but I'm beginning to see some benefits, especially in weather avoidance.  I dare say Hoppo would have some thoughts on that too.

Meanwhile, enjoy the rest - you've earned it!
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

« Reply #31 on: 22 January, 2016, 04:00:30 pm »
Thanks for a detailed post.

You've earnt a huge amount of respect from me (and others) for even trying, let alone achieving what you've done.

Rest, recover and enjoy doing the stuff you haven't had the chance to do for the past 13 months.

« Reply #32 on: 22 January, 2016, 04:02:27 pm »
Steve, Greetings from an exiled YACFer in a quiet corner of SW Spain. Huge respect for what you've achieved. Following your progress has been tremendous. Thank you for being such an inspiration.

If you need a place in the sun to stay while in recovery mode, we have a spare room, a shedful of bikes, a tandem and assorted BSOs. The roads are quiet and generally smooth thanks to the largesse from Brussels. PM me if this is of interest.
They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #33 on: 22 January, 2016, 04:03:58 pm »
Your post sounds like the right sort of things all round TG. Welcome back to the madhouse.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #34 on: 22 January, 2016, 04:16:36 pm »
Steve, I can only repeat what I said here: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=95465.msg1978174#msg1978174

Your post sounds like you have a good idea of what you have to do over the coming weeks/months to recuperate and work out what next. 

For the moment, it sounds like eating well, stretching and sleeping are all going to be on the menu! 

You look after yourself, keep yourself active physically and mentally and then begin to think about the future. 

But, yes, I personally, would be very tempted by some gentle touring (keep it to, hmm let's say under a hundred miles a day yes?) somewhere warm and sunny with good cafe/bar stops.

Whatever you need, just do not worry about asking because the cycling community you have put much into will always do it's best to give you something back.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #35 on: 22 January, 2016, 04:30:18 pm »
Welcome back Steve, you've been much missed!  :-*

I have to admit that I am so very relieved that you're still alive and well at the end of this- my biggest fear was you could so easily be killed.

Your efforts have been massively impressive- there have been so many days this year when it's been pissing it down or hideously windy and you've been out there all day and half the night in it. It's amazing what you've done with no camper van to follow you in our changeable climate (not to mention dangerous moped riders taking you out).

I really hope you have some really good rest and relaxation time- definitely a time for being kind to yourself both mentally and physically.
P.S. There will always be a bed and hot meal for you here on your next attempt or any ride you happen to do in these parts  ;D

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #36 on: 22 January, 2016, 04:32:07 pm »
Steve, you were my hero and inspiration when I first started audaxing, about five years ago.......

Five years may have gone by, but I have to say "Nothing has changed - you're still my hero !!"

I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #37 on: 22 January, 2016, 04:39:22 pm »
Well done, Steve
- on taking us all with you on an amazing journey over the last year
- for re-starting interest in one of the most challenging records in any sport
- for having the good sense to stop when the numbers meant it was the sensible option to avoid unnecessary injury and pain.
- for having such a balanced perspective in your message above. 

All the advice would be don't make any decisions or commitments on anything just yet but let yourself come back down to Earth gently. 

Welcome back!

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #38 on: 22 January, 2016, 04:41:10 pm »
Mr Whitehead has suggested you may be interested in joining us on a Wednesday evening.

There is always a bed at Hummers Holt for you if you wan to stay over.

H

« Reply #39 on: 22 January, 2016, 04:45:33 pm »
Thank you for taking the time to share some of your thoughts with us Steve. What you did last year was truly phenomenal, especially with all the things that conspired against you. It's down to you that we have all this renewed interest in the year record, you've inspired lots of people and given many others pleasure from following your and Kurt's exploits. I look forward to seeing you out on the road again soon.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #40 on: 22 January, 2016, 04:59:31 pm »
...that kind of impact is normally reserved for the likes of Olympic champions ect.

If I may say so, Mr. Abraham is a member of a much more exclusive club than olympic champions. He is a member of a much more exclusive club that TdF winners. He is in a more exclusive club that those people who have done both those things. He is in the club of those people who have ridden more than 60,000 miles in a single year, and there are only two living members of that club.
The loss of humanity I could live with.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #41 on: 22 January, 2016, 05:01:50 pm »
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the inspiration and entertainment these past 11 months (I was a bit late to the party).  I've always been a bit of a fair weather cyclist but last spring watching your exploits got me out in all weathers to train.  Thanks to that early start come August I survived a week on the Pennine Bridleway, the memories of that holiday with a good friend are something I shall always treasure. 

I hope we meet one day rather better than me being a blob of black on a black background cheering you past, I owe you a beer or two.

Rest well.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #42 on: 22 January, 2016, 05:05:58 pm »
FOOD
REST
FUN

That is almost all IMHO.
Enjoy!

« Reply #43 on: 22 January, 2016, 05:10:52 pm »
Chapeau! Being gracious, honest and thoughtful as you sign out of a mission is the mark of maturity and insight - and in this you have been exemplary - well done.

A

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: 22 January, 2016, 05:16:12 pm »
Thank you Steve and a big pat on the back! It's been quite a year [and a bit].

I'm sure that whatever you do next will be the right thing for you. And you have a lot of friends here and in the world of long distance cycling who will back you all the way and forever be in awe.

Write the book?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #45 on: 22 January, 2016, 05:20:25 pm »
Late to this because I was, well, riding my bike.

What everyone else has said basically.  Rest, recover, and hopefully see you at some point down the road.   :thumbsup:

I reckon Kajsa would be delighted if you turned up to one of her rides...

ETA: Now might be a good time to (re)read this thread: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=87384.0

« Reply #46 on: 22 January, 2016, 05:33:34 pm »
Well done Steve. Take it easy on yourself and recover properly.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #47 on: 22 January, 2016, 05:40:04 pm »
GO STEVE   ( sorry had to do it one more time ;D)

Go and do some real chilling, go on holiday, go for a little ride, go and do something other than cycling, go and do something a bit less full on.

You have more than earned it!

All the best

« Reply #48 on: 22 January, 2016, 05:51:15 pm »
Here's a thought  - does Marsh Gibbon have the facilities to host a YACF camping/cycling/shenanigans weekend? :))
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #49 on: 22 January, 2016, 05:57:44 pm »
Great effort Steve. Chapeau!