Author Topic: [HAMR] What now?  (Read 25307 times)

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
Re: What now?
« Reply #75 on: 25 January, 2016, 10:33:20 am »
Over the next few days, the sense of less may be overwhelming, but over the coming weeks and months, you'll discover just what you've gained.

Sorry, but this made me smile  :-)

Yes, that is quite a funny typo, given the subject!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #76 on: 25 January, 2016, 11:29:46 am »
I may have made this offer elsewhere or may have just imagined it, but any rider that has achieved a verified cycling mileage of 60,000 miles or more in a calendar year can have free entry to Cambrian Series Permanents, if they have been missing hills  :o
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #77 on: 25 January, 2016, 11:51:13 am »
Late to the thread. But can I first say Congratulations on your achievement. I know the target was Godwin's record, but riding 102,368 kms is still a massive acievement, especially with the injury. Also you are the reason that the record is now back in the spotlight. What a legacy that is.

Please take as much time as you need to relax and don't rush into anything. You haven't let anyone down, and have been an inspiration to many, including me. :)

Chapeau Steve!
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #78 on: 25 January, 2016, 12:43:53 pm »
+1m to that
<i>Marmite slave</i>

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #79 on: 25 January, 2016, 06:39:11 pm »
I'm glad we can wave goodbye to all that "Steve" rubbish...we've got our Teethgrinder back!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #80 on: 26 January, 2016, 09:50:08 pm »
Slightly OT, but wouldn't it be great if Brooks produced a LTD Edition "Steve Abraham" Team Pro?

« Reply #81 on: 26 January, 2016, 10:08:20 pm »
Brooks did make 3 saddles out of extra tough leather just for me, so in a way, they did. And they're mine. All mine! :demon: :smug:
And they are very good too. :smug:

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #82 on: 26 January, 2016, 10:38:14 pm »
*giggles*

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #83 on: 26 January, 2016, 10:56:29 pm »
Brooks did make 3 saddles out of extra tough leather just for me, so in a way, they did. And they're mine. All mine! :demon: :smug:

[LIKE]   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #84 on: 27 January, 2016, 04:07:56 am »

So if you go for the fully funded attempt (as mentioned in the other thread) you could raise a chunk of cash by auctioning them off :)
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

« Reply #85 on: 27 January, 2016, 01:16:40 pm »

Contact the BBC and say you're willing to raffle one for Sport Relief.

Which
a/ Gets you publicity.
b/ Gets Brooks VFM for a freebie advert on the BBC.
c/ Gets you chance to get on the telly.
d/ Gets you one step closer to an OBE.
e/ Gets the BBC primed for another attempt if that happens.
f/ Gets Brooks on your side for another attempt if that happens.
g/ Arouses other sponsors to another attempt if that happens.

:thumbsup:

http://www.sportrelief.com/events/cycle?utm_source=bbc_portal&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=cycle

I'm planning to ride the 50 miler, if there's room  ???

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #86 on: 27 January, 2016, 01:19:45 pm »
That's bloody genius.  :thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #87 on: 27 January, 2016, 01:45:22 pm »
Hi TG, I just noticed this thread as well.  Thanks for your opening post, it made interesting reading with a bit of food for thought.  I can't/won't offer any advice other than to simply enjoy life. And thanks for the past year, it was inspiring.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #88 on: 27 January, 2016, 01:48:30 pm »
Contrary to what you might read on the internet, the Lee Valley in East London which follows the course of the river Lea ( notice different spelling ) is named such after Sir Robert Lee of Stratford Langdon, who now lies at rest in St Mary’s, Hardwick, Buckinghamshire.
Sir Robert passed in 1616.

Later in that century, a Lee from a different family met by coincidence in Virginia, USA, a Lee from Sir Robert’s family. The Lee for the other family bought the manor of Stratford. He was Richard Lee the immigrant who was ancestor of the two Lee’s on the declaration of independence, and ancestor of Gen Robert E Lee.
Sir Robert Lee of Stratford Langdon was the nephew of another Robert Lee. Sir Robert Lee of Aston Abbotts and Quarrendon in Bucks. Sir Robert of Quarrendon was father of Sir Anthony Lee who married Margaret Wyatt, lady in waiting to Anne Boleyn.

Sir Robert Lee of Aston Abbotts and Quarrendon owned a lot of lands in North Bucks, including around a small village called Quainton, a most beautiful village.  :'(
Sir Robert’s descendants had their homes in many of the North Bucks villages. Grandborough, Hardwick, Weedon, Waddesdon, Fleet Marston, the Claydons and ( big surprise ) Marsh Gibbon.  ;D

It has been an absolute pleasure to follow your progress over the last year and a bit. I sincerely hope you restart sometime in the future, AND continue to ride through the land of my ancestors.  :smug:

I met a group from North Bucks CC at the George & Dragon tea rooms in Quainton one Sunday morning.
Must say tho’,, the nosh is less expensive in Warwickshire. ;)

My regards.

« Reply #89 on: 27 January, 2016, 04:15:29 pm »

d/ Gets you one step closer to an OBE.

Thought he'd already got that 
OBE =  one boiled egg! !

[/quote]

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #90 on: 27 January, 2016, 06:47:09 pm »
Contrary to what you might read on the internet, the Lee Valley in East London which follows the course of the river Lea ( notice different spelling ) is named such after Sir Robert Lee of Stratford Langdon, who now lies at rest in St Mary’s, Hardwick, Buckinghamshire.

That'd be why the name was in use well before the Normans showed up, then.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #91 on: 27 January, 2016, 06:58:51 pm »

;D ;D ;D

« Reply #92 on: 27 January, 2016, 09:26:21 pm »
Slightly OT, but wouldn't it be great if Brooks produced a LTD Edition "Steve Abraham" Team Pro?

I contacted Brooks via Facebook with the suggestion. They think it's a great idea too !   - How many could we pre-sell on the forum?

red marley

« Reply #93 on: 27 January, 2016, 09:34:29 pm »
I would if it was a Cambium. Not leather though. Not even extra tough Teethgrinder rawhide.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #94 on: 27 January, 2016, 09:55:10 pm »
No. TG's saddles used Brooks' organic leather.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #95 on: 27 January, 2016, 11:04:57 pm »
I would if it was a Cambium. Not leather though. Not even extra tough Teethgrinder rawhide.

I'm the same, but not for all of the same reasons I guess.

(A TG Special Edition C15 with Ti rails for me please.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #96 on: 28 January, 2016, 03:56:34 pm »

Yeh. What a coincidence.

« Reply #97 on: 28 January, 2016, 04:05:43 pm »

;D ;D ;D

It is also a coincidence Anglo Saxon  "Healameadlic" is ‘Heel measure’, or loosely construed as ‘High heels’.

Do you?  ;)

hillbilly

« Reply #98 on: 28 January, 2016, 04:13:12 pm »
No. TG's saddles used Brooks' organic leather.

Is that distinct from the igneous leather they use normally?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #99 on: 28 January, 2016, 04:21:17 pm »
Even I might try a Teethgrinder Limited Edition Cambium! :o

*whole forum faints in surprise*
Getting there...