Author Topic: [HAMR] What now?  (Read 25322 times)

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
Re: What now?
« Reply #50 on: 22 January, 2016, 06:05:46 pm »
Steve...you're a legend!  I watched the video you made with your team and was amazed that, within such a short time since taking the decision to quit, you were able to talk about the situation, clearly, sensibly, and even with a touch of humour.  I can't think anyone else would have had the strength or courage to do that.  You continue to amaze me.  Not only are you clearly one of the toughest cyclists alive on the planet today, you are a great bloke.  Which may well make you unique.

« Reply #51 on: 22 January, 2016, 06:09:25 pm »
Steve, everything you have done deserves respect, from the initial daydreams you had all the way to making this hardest of decisions. I, like most of the planet, couldn't have managed one week of what you have achieved, mentally or physically.

Oh and I think the record you have set may never be broken....completing a year of riding including a broken ankle. You broke an ankle and yet still got your name close to the top of all time mile munchers.
Nuns, no sense of humour

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #52 on: 22 January, 2016, 06:11:01 pm »
All I can say is, see you soon out on the road. You own it.  :thumbsup:
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Ben T

« Reply #53 on: 22 January, 2016, 06:19:10 pm »
Doesn't float my boat but gather it does yours Steve... go for a ride on fixed, after a whole year of gears  ;)

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #54 on: 22 January, 2016, 07:41:27 pm »
You continue to be an inspiration to me Steve and I know a lot of others feel the same.

If it takes courage and determination to start something like that, it must take the same or more to know when to call it a day.

Hope to see you on a YACF camping jolly at some stage. :)

« Reply #55 on: 22 January, 2016, 07:47:50 pm »
There's plenty of time to think and lay plans.  You have more than a few years before you can join the old farts' club.

« Reply #56 on: 22 January, 2016, 08:16:51 pm »
What now?

Time to set up a "Buy TG a beer" GoFundMe page.

I'm sure that we could beat the $3,230 that other competitors have raised  :)

I just look at my bike and I feel tired :)

« Reply #57 on: 22 January, 2016, 08:17:47 pm »
Doesn't float my boat but gather it does yours Steve... go for a ride on fixed, after a whole year of gears  ;)

Just remember to keep pedalling!  ;)

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #58 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:03:50 pm »
Am in awe of your achievements, the HAM'R and this last 13 months of cycling. I understand your sadness, that's to be expected but know that I certainly think you are an utter legend. 

Wishing you the best for recuperation, recovery, rest and all that. My mum (who's had a v hard time recently) has been in hot place for a winter holiday and says it was amazing. Definitely think a nice holiday is a plan if you can manage it.

I raise my cup of tea to you!

« Reply #59 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:21:57 pm »
Steve, I thoroughly enjoyed following your progress on this attempt. It was a great, great effort--unbelievably impressive. Even though things did not entirely go your way, you brought renewed interest in the HAMR, and inspired quite a few people (myself included).

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #60 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:24:44 pm »
Obviously a very difficult choice, but good to see that you are still able to see what you have achieved in the last year and a bit in a positive light, as it should be.

Even without the record it's an achievement most of our minds boggle at.

Having just caught the audax bug, I'll hopefully get a chance to meet you on the road somewhere
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #61 on: 22 January, 2016, 10:50:21 pm »
You have more than a few years before you can join the old farts' club.

Whereas....  :-\
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #62 on: 22 January, 2016, 10:53:02 pm »
Still 10 years for Steve to get to Kurt's age (when he started his attempt).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #63 on: 22 January, 2016, 11:29:00 pm »
Steve, please don't feel as though you have let anyone down. Rather, you have been an inspiration to many.

I suppose now you have the opportunity to get on with the rest of your life for a while. There's plenty of time to mull over any possible future challenges you may want to take on. In the meantime, relax and enjoy yourself: you have earned a good rest.
Embrace your inner Fred.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #64 on: 22 January, 2016, 11:32:08 pm »
Mr Whitehead has suggested you may be interested in joining us on a Wednesday evening.

There is always a bed at Hummers Holt for you if you wan to stay over.

H
Hope you take this offer up Steve, it would be great to ride with you if I can. And there are some Strava segments where I'm faster than you....that needs putting right! :)
If you fancy a social night ride, FNRttCs are still going strong, you'd be very welcome.

« Reply #65 on: 23 January, 2016, 12:35:03 pm »
I remain in awe of what you've achieved, Steve. And would definitely be up for a social cafe ride sometime.

I haven't commented a lot on here, mainly because apart from training for the RideLondon 100 last year I'm a very lazy cyclist who mainly cycles from cafe to cafe and therefore don't consider myself qualified to comment on such a spectacular feat, but I have been following your attempt and consider you a huge inspiration when pootling around my sites on cold, miserable days. You're amazing.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #66 on: 23 January, 2016, 08:47:45 pm »
Just saw your latest tweet and then found your youtube announcement.

You have demonstrated tremendous ambition, superb determination and impressive stamina even in the face of adversity. Awesome is an over-used word  but this HAS been an awesome cycling year by anyone's standards.

It's also clear that you've stayed clear-headed enough to analyse your own performance such that you can come to this decision, given that your goal was to be the world's best.

Hats off to you. When you joined ACF you were already a legendary cyclist among UK audaxers. You're now even more of a legend, Steve. Truly an epic ride. Time now to rest body and mind and adjust to a different daily routine, one that contains less cycling (but a routine that still contains some).

Over the next few days, the sense of loss may be overwhelming, but over the coming weeks and months, you'll discover just what you've gained.

EDITED TO FIX A TYPO

« Reply #67 on: 23 January, 2016, 09:34:51 pm »
An excellent posting FRUITCAKE.  You've summed it like a piece of cake!

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #68 on: 24 January, 2016, 02:14:14 pm »
Over the next few days, the sense of less may be overwhelming, but over the coming weeks and months, you'll discover just what you've gained.

Sorry, but this made me smile  :)

« Reply #69 on: 24 January, 2016, 02:31:14 pm »
So many times on difficult rides, when the thought of slowing down or even stopping altogether, has flashed through my mind, I've thought of you out there slogging away. A true inspiration to others, and you won't stop being one just because this particular attempt has ended.  What you did achieve will be remembered for many years to come.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #70 on: 24 January, 2016, 02:53:41 pm »
Appreciate the post TG.

Allez Steve.

« Reply #71 on: 24 January, 2016, 07:35:26 pm »
Have a good break.

Hope to pass you round MK

Derek

Bairn Again

« Reply #72 on: 24 January, 2016, 09:30:51 pm »
nice post steve, you've no need to "go public" as it were but it shows your mettle that you do.

look after #1 for a bit, there loads of us out here who have so much respect for you.

« Reply #73 on: 25 January, 2016, 03:17:19 am »
I'm one of those your inspired (I did my biggest mileage in 2015.) I think its time to rest and recharge.  All the best steve.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #74 on: 25 January, 2016, 03:42:22 am »

I don't see how cycling more miles in a month than many people cycle in a year counts as letting anyone down. I'd hazard a guess many audaxers don't cover 5000 miles in a year, I know I never did. What you've achieved is pretty amazing.

What next - I imagine with 60,000 miles (more or less 100,000km) under your belt you've accumulated enough DIY points to beat even bikey mikey :)

Or you could revert to riding your bike more sensible distances, the kind of distance lesser mortals (people like me) could cover in a day. Enjoy the cake along the way, you've earned it.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.